What's new

Disney Treasures Wave 5 DVD Reviews... (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Folks,

I just got these discs in the mail *Friday*. I'm working as quickly as I can to get my "Rarities" review posted and the rest will follow. Appologies for the post-street-date-review...I actually *received* these discs 3 days after they went for sale!!!

-dave

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
They wisely sent these to me in a box (as opposed to the usual bubble mailer) which seemed to protect the tins nicely...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
One thing I have to warn you about, David, Spin and Marty is totally addictive... just like it always was!! Pop it in. Hit 'play all' and stand back! :D

Seriously, I have been making my way through all four sets this past week, and in general, am very pleased. There is a bit of overlapping on the new Donald Duck set with On the Front Lines, but we knew that going in. Personally, at least for me, Elfego Baca - The Swamp Fox, is the weakest link, but for what it is, it is still well done. As always, YMMV.

Bring on the reviews, sir! :)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Almost ALL of the classic cartoons included on the "in the vault" section on the first disc of "Donald 2" were already included on the "Front Lines set, which is disappointing, though we DID know in advance. If they honestly couldn't find any other features or cartoons to pad out the disc, then I can't say I have any reason to complain.

The first "Rarities" disc also has "Chicken Little", which was ALSO included on the "Front Lines" set...

Weren't some people boycotting "Rarities" because of the current widescreen status of "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom" (non-OAR, non-ANAM?) ... I started watching it, and while it didn't bring tears of rage to my eyes, I swear this was already included on another set. I'm blanking on it right now, though. Maybe the Fantasia box?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it was featured on Fantasia.

The most dissapointing thing, is that NONE of the new to DVD shorts were even restored for these two releases. They appear to be old video transfers that were not touched up at all.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes, I definitely understated the case when I said... "There is a bit of overlapping on the new Donald Duck set..." One thing I will say in Disney's defense, this particular Treasures series IS called THE CHRONOLOGICAL DONALD. I think this was a no-win for them no matter how they approached it. If they skipped this material, a like number of people would complain about its absence. And, if they left it off the Front Lines set, then that would have been incomplete as well.

As far as the shoddy (and in some cases total LACK of) restoration goes, I am 100% on board with that. If Disney wants to preserve the integrity and stature of this series, they should already be thinking about a replacement disc program...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks