What's new

Disney Treasures Screenshots! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
UH OH!

i just logged into Amazon to order the Tomorrowland set, and it now says this is no longer available.
some of the other sets are still avaialable for pre-order but not Tomorrowland.

is it possible all the copies avail have already been spoken for?

wonder how much this will cost now if i have to pick it up in a B&M (if i even will be able to)?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Paul, FutureShop should carry the Treasure sets as should HMV. In fact, I still see some Behind The Scenes and Disneyland Treasure sets on shelves at FS in downtown Montreal so I'd definitely expect them to carry these on the 18th.

paul:hillsdon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Marco. That's what I thought.

Although, if there's only 150 000 copies available in all of Region 1, would't that mean each store would only get about 100 (give or take) copies?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Paul_Scott: amazon.ca is still allowing pre-ordering of Tomorrowland. It would be the Canadian version (around US$21), which so far has only differed from the U.S. versions by a little Canadian flag and a Canadian rating on the printed band i.e. same content, and essentially the same tin looks. I'm sure you can find a better option, but that's one if you're getting antsy (like me!).

Edit: Forgot to say, the allotment of Canadian editions, if there is such an allotment to retailers, is possibly less likely to be sold out so quickly in advance...just a thought.

Edit of edit, for Canadians: Future Shop online is sold out of all these discs. They have (had!) by a fair margin the lowest advertised price (surprisingly, to me), well actually a few cents more than Wal-Mart. I don't know if this bodes well for my local store stock, or for Best Buy who use the same warehouse(s).

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Do the shorts utilize the original titles or are they from reissue prints? I ask this because some of the pre-RKO Silly Symphonies shorts on the earlier WDT's collection had re-shot RKO title cards. I feel a true restoration should NOT be from reissued prints. Any thoughts out there?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Craig & Marco;
thanks for the suggestions.
i ended up adding it to an order i had at DVDPlanet.
it was $2 more than the Amazon price with the STL discount, but i would rather pay a little more than get frozen out entirely.
and i suppose DVDPlanet could always turn around and cancel my order due to insufficent stock, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

MicheleP

Auditioning
try dvd empire for your backup plan. Dvd planet may give you trouble you dont need. Ernest thank you for giving me the info on the Lithographs and booklets I really appreciate it!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Uh-oh...Trouble in Doggie-Land....

Colin and David -- can you confirm that there is an audio-sync issue with "Runaway Brain" on Disc 2 of Mickey Mouse in Living Color, with the audio running a half-second to full-second ahead of the video? I've watched it on two different players now and have experienced the same issue with both.

Another bit of criticism...Leonard Maltin's "politically correct disclaimer" intros for "The Nifty 90's" and "Symphony Hour" on Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. II. Yes, making fun of drunk people was a staple of American humour in the past. Yes, the Italian accent Pete uses in "Symphony Hour" is over the top. Yes, Pete puts a gun to his head in a comic attempt at suicide.

Disney must get a crazy amount of negative mail and bad press to make them this hyper-sensitive. One look at these intros and you realize why Song of the South on DVD is unlikely any time soon.

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Does anyone remember how much the last Wave sold for the initial week of its release at BestBuy and Circuit City? I'm just to guess how much Wave 3 will sell at B&Ms in releation to Amazon and others. Thanks!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"BTW, speaking of Bambi, it's since come out that Bambi will get the special edition treatment in 2005. I guess it will be the next one after Aladdin."

Yup - Bambi: Platinum Edition is rumoured for a Spring 2005 release date while Cinderella: Platinum Edition is rumoured for the Fall. Keep an eye on UltimateDisney.com's main page - they're great for breaking Disney DVD news.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ernest, do you recall if there was a sequence on the Tomorrowland set which featured Donald Duck preparing for a space launch narrated by Ludwig Von Drake? I remember seeing this in black and white on an older Walt Disney Presents television rerun and was really hoping that this particular segment would end up on the Tomorrowland DVD release. To be more specific, I believe Donald is shown in a full astronaut's uniform with round spherical helmet being lifted onto the deck of a launch pad where he than enters a rocket ship, and there's a cut sequence where a bunch of technical operators (1950's retro style appearance) are sitting in a control room overlooking the launch. The countdown begins and we see Donald anxiously awaiting take-off through one of the many circular windows which line the side of the rocket. It's been so many years since I've seen this segment so I forget how it ends or what goes on but I distinctly remember these elements and am really hoping that this is featured on the DVD! Can you confirm if it's shown Ernest?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
In a few hours, yes...there's 19 freaking hours of content to sift through on these sets, and I've got a review due in 24 hours.

One thing not advertised....galleries. Tons and tons of galleries, several with Leonard Maltin commentary. There are three pages worth of gallery menus on the War set alone. Again, just to make sure this sinks in, pages of MENU SCREENS of galleries leading you to artwork for individual shorts and episodes. Get ready to spend hours with each set.

And Victory Through Air Power is incredible, everything I thought it might be, and more. It is downright spooky how topical it is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I just checked it out, and while I didn't think the synch looked perfect, it seemed close - definitely didn't see as big a difference as you noted. Admittedly, I'm not the greatest at noticing some synch problems, but if it's as big as you mentioned, I think I'd have observed it - didn't discern any concerns...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Colin. It's not "perfect", it is certainly "close", it's just a tad off, like a half-second ahead of the video. I'm sure you know what I mean when you're looking for it - maybe it's just my disc...but the other shorts on the disc don't have this issue, so I'm at a loss here. Can't blame the equipment...or can I? David? You see anything?

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Ernest don't worry about a deadline. They come out in 2 weeks. This isn't a race. :) If you need a few days, take a few days.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
To answer someone's question from a few posts back:

I remember seeing the last wave of Disney Treasures selling for $30.99 at Best Buy during the first week.

What's the deal with amazon.com? They are still taking orders for these sets, aren't they? I placed mine 3/4 of a year ago.

I think we're all anxiously awaiting your review, Ernest!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, supposedly the Tomorrowland set is back up for pre-order on Amazon (right after my STL discount expired, of course).
that's all right- i decided to order it thru them anyway, and in addition i'll be adding Front Lines also.
all the discussion here has definitely piqued my interest in that material, and i'm starting to get a strong feeling that the latter set especially is going to be in steady demand in the future.
unless they are going to be saturating the market with these, it looks to be a good bet to hold its value, at least.

now i should probably go and cancel my order with DVDPlanet (who, by the way, i've never had a problem with in the past- going back to the Ken Crane days)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks