What's new

Disney Treasure, will there be a wider release this time? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Do you think the Disney Treasure releases will be more readily available this time or will I have to go to the Disney Store again?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Disney Treasures were widely available, in fact they're still available just about everywhere up here.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I think they became available later because I did see them much later at Best Buy but on the release date no one had them in the Fort Lauderdale area that I could find except the Disney Store. I'm hoping this isn't the case this time.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the only place that had these in my old midwest town on release date was the disney store. The suncoast manager tried to tell me they didn't exist when I inquired after them, best buy, target, hastings, walmart and sams club never had them. I saw them for the first time at best buy six months later, but not anywhere on release date. If you don't have a disney store I recommend you just order them from online.

Adam

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I for one am hoping for a wider release: in terms of the rest of the world! I don't think a single one of these has been released outside of R1 up to now. Scandal! :)
Come on, Disney - who better to appreciate your classic stuff than us sophisticated Europeans? ;)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Because the original wave didn't sell as many as expected (and they only made 150,000) the current wave is being released at 100,000 per title. To be honest, I really hope that this isn't the last of the Treasures line. They're sooooo good. Buy them if you can, if only to support the release of classic Disney product.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

According to DVDfile's interview with Leonard Maltin, they've already been given approval for four additional sets.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Which is the first set I should buy according to you then
All three, according to me. And if you don't have the two previous animation sets from the last wave, get those too. Absolutely beautiful and priceless. Can't wait for 12/03, and then until the next wave hits, with some sweet stuff rumored, like Wartime Cartoons, Complete Donald, Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2...

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a Complete Donald in one set if future Treasures sets will be about the same size as the ones we've seen so far. About three sets would be more likely, but some of the DD shorts would also be included in that Wartime set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that the Wartime Cartoons set would contain the so-called "banned" WW2-era cartoons, like Education for Death, Victory Through Air Power, Der Furher's Face, etc.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I was being serious, Oscar, when I recommended getting all of them. To be honest, I didn't much care for the live-action sets from the last wave (Disneyland, Davey Crockett), though I'm more than certain they are of outstanding quality (though there's been some concern regarding cuts).

I want to collect every single animation Treasure set, and I hope Disney and Mr. Maltin continue to release these. Perhaps even 2 waves per year. Too bad they are limited though. Prices on eBay a few years down the road will be criminal. So get them all now.

Also, I'd love to see a Treasures set dedicated to pre-Mickey cartoons, like the Alice Comedies, etc. Having only read about these, I'm itching to see them and have them preserved on DVD.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
PaulP-
I want to collect every single animation Treasure set, and I hope Disney and Mr. Maltin continue to release these. Perhaps even 2 waves per year. Too bad they are limited though. Prices on eBay a few years down the road will be criminal. So get them all now.
You just answered why these are limited and treated,
well, like treasures.
Disney knows these are a niche product, and frankly,
this is the best marketing scheme for these sets I can
think of:
1) Creates a sense of urgency to purchase them
2) People feel like they own a truly limited edition DVD,
which too often these days is not so limited, and feels
borderline fraudulent: SpiderMan Collector's set, Saving
Private Ryan

("limited," as in limited until DVDs are no longer pressed and we've all moved on to HD-DVDs).
3) Make enough copies just to fit the demand and not glut
the market, which based on last year's sets seems about
right..since they can still be found, though not quite
as easily as some are stating...at least not in the
Pacific Northwest, and when they are found, at places
like BestBuy, they already have the price marked up.
4) A DVD that increases in value is a nice thing. :)
Regards,
Mark

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
oscar: which one to get? well it depends, out of the original four? the next three? or all as a collective?

If I had to pick from any of the seven and take just one, it would hands down be Silly Symphonies (and I almost didn't buy it!), the cartoons on this set are almost all stellar, and a handful (The Old Mill, Ugly Duckling, Who Killed Cock Robin?) are simply great cinema, in any form! I love this set so much that I have a few anal complaints about it, because the presentation is not quite perfect. The cartoons are scattered almost randomly about the two discs, and some are hidden as Easter Eggs and I can never remember where to find them. The ones hidden as easter eggs always have walt disney show intros from walt to preface the cartoon, these are only available on the easter egged cartoons, and about half of the easter egged cartoons are available somewhere else in one of the four silly submenus the cartoons are 'sorted under'. Also the booklet is not accurate as to what cartoons are where, I think it puts several cartoons on both discs, and I'm reasonably sure that Skeleton Dance is repeated at least three times (but only actually on the disc once) in the booklet. Still for content, this set can't be beaten.

So obviously that's my pick out of the original four as well.

For the next three, well I want them all equally, but I would recommend getting "The Complete Goofy" simply because it has the most content (five to six hours of cartoons I believe), encompasses all of Goofy's cartoons (except the freeway films which are different, and not goofy cartoons, but educational ones I think, they were also fifteen minutes instead of 8 I believe). And Goofy is simply an all time favorite of mine, having all his cartoons on one set, just, wow! it's making me itch just to have the dvds now that I"m talking about it. I for one will be watching the Goofy learns to ski film, followed by the physical strength training film, and then probably watch them slowly through chronologically over the christmas season (I picked those two because they were my favorite growing up).

However, even if you found the live action treasures to be bland last year, the Behind the Scenes at Walt Disney Studios promises to be much more interesting than the bland retro documentaries on disneyland on the disneyland usa set (they were fun, but I enjoyed the other three sets exponentially more!). Apparantly this will have the complete Reluctant Dragon feature, which is supposed to be quite wonderful, as well as several other interesting making ofs Walt did back in the day. This set also boasts (IMO) the best extras of any of sets in this wave. And of course the BW Mickey Mouse set, is almost a must buy, but I can hold off that a little more than I can the Goofy one, because I was a little underwhelmed by the mickey set last time, I found Davey Crockett and Silly Symphonies to be much more satisfying (I never was much of a mickey person, much more goofy than even donald) films, though some of the mickey ones, such as Mickey's trailor, the Brave Little Tailor, Clockwork Cleaners are as good as the best silly Symphony, but the cartoons overall weren't as good as the overall cartoons on silly symphonies.

---
My Disney Treasures dream for Wave 3:
the Complete Man in Space -
Disney did a five part (i think) series about space exploration, it's a perfect treasures set in my opinion.

Song of the South -
I so want to see this, I want to see it bad, bad, bad, It really deserves a DVD release, and the Treasures set is the perfect way to release it.

Mickey and Pluto:
All of the remaining twenty or thirty Mickey BW and Color shorts, and the 12-20 individual pluto shorts (there's not enough for a whole treasures set for just Pluto) Perhaps it could even be something like Mickey and Friends, and include the four Chip and Dale cartoons they had to themselves and starred in. I'm not sure how many Mickey shorts are left, I'm pretty sure there's about twenty color shorts that weren't on the first set, but I've no idea how many black and white shorts between 34 and 36 were made for Mickey. There may be enough Mickey shorts left to fill a third treasures set, and that would be fine as well

The Complete Donald Duck vol 1:
I believe there was close to 144 Donald Duck shorts, so they could spread out his cartoons of 48 over three treasures volumes. This set would have the first 48 shorts made in chronological order.

And as a replacement for Song of the South (since I don't expect it)
Wartime Cartoons
The set was canceled because the cartoons need restoration I believe, so hopefully we'll see it next year (and I really doubt we'll see Song of the South) I know nothing about these cartoons, but am very interested in them not only because I'm a war buff, but also because they were banned, which makes them all the more intriguing.

Then for Treasures 2004:
Dr Syn Alias the Scarecrow
Walt Disney's True Life Adventures
Silly Symphonies Vol 2 (all the remaining silly symphonies)
Complete Donald Duck Vol 2
Complete Donald duck vol 3 (I'd rather have this than the rest of the silly symphonies or Dr Syn)

I would be a very happy person if all of these got Treasures releases, and I hope hope, hope, that there's at least a wave four and five, because there's so much stuff they have to put on dvd.

Adam

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I feel exactly like you do! Ideally, I wish Disney would collect all of their animated shorts in the subsequent Treasures sets. There is just so much. I would also like to see Silly Symphonies, Volume 2 (this would probably collect the rest of them, I think). And since you brought it up, Adam, I'd love to see a Treasures set dedicated to the educational shorts that Disney did. There were quite a few, I recall from reading about them.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "Mickey and Pluto:
All of the remaining twenty or thirty Mickey BW and Color shorts, and the 12-20 individual pluto shorts (there's not enough for a whole treasures set for just Pluto) Perhaps it could even be something like Mickey and Friends, and include the four Chip and Dale cartoons they had to themselves and starred in. I'm not sure how many Mickey shorts are left, I'm pretty sure there's about twenty color shorts that weren't on the first set, but I've no idea how many black and white shorts between 34 and 36 were made for Mickey. There may be enough Mickey shorts left to fill a third treasures set, and that would be fine as well"

---

There are about 40 BW Mickey shorts not included on the volume 1. Both volume 1 and the forthcoming (I hope) volume 2 include titles from 1928-1935.

I'd say there definitely are enough Pluto shorts for one set, that would be about the same number of shorts as on the Goofy set.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
the song of the south would be a good one to put in the next wave of vault disney titles like old yeller.

I can hardly wait to get these next treasures.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm almost certain that there are just twelve solo pluto shorts, but there may be as many as twenty, I remember looking up pluto chip and dale, silly symphonies, goofy, donald and mickey in the disney encyclopedia last year. I checked it out from a library after getting the treasures set to see what wasn't included on the mickey in color and the silly symphony sets. I'd like to see the third mickey treasure volume simply comprise all the remaining shorts, both the black and white ones and the color ones, though this may be impossible due to size issue. I'm reasonably sure the firswt silly symphony set had about two thirds of the total sily symphony cartoons sso a second set would not have as many cartoons, putting it lower priority on the want list for me. :D
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks