What's new

Disney Treasues Wave 3 - Due 12/2/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
It is indeed 4 releases this time. No sooner had I posted this info, than a spec sheet was finally released by Disney.

The Chronological Donald celebrates the career of the most prolific of Walt's classic characters, this high-spirited collection presents all of Donald Duck's starring shorts from "Donald and Pluto" in 1936 to "Chef Donald" in 1941 (36 shorts).

Mickey Mouse In Living Color: Volume Two covers Mickey's films from 1939 to 1995 including some of his most loved performances in "Society Dog Show," "Tugboat Mickey," "Mickey and the Seal," "Pluto's Party" and many more (21 shorts).

Walt Disney On The Front Lines is a fascinating collection that showcases the training, propaganda and educational films, as well as hundreds of insignia designs, which the Studio delivered to the war effort (32 shorts).

Walt Disney's Tomorrowland is a compilation of "Disneyland" TV shows about outer space and the opportunities and challenges of space travel (6 programs).

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my gosh, I can't wait. The news about "Tomorrowland" has made my day. Hell, my year.
I hope it has "Mars and Beyond." I love "Mars and Beyond."
training, propaganda and educational films
And this will be unbelievable. I'm going to die of happiness on December 2nd (and go broke).

Brenton

Screenwriter
Just Mickey and Donald for me, thank you.

1995? I never knew there were any this new. Are the new ones any good?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
1995 would be "Runaway Brain", I think. Looks spiffy - they used the "animated feature" team - but it doesn't really play like a Mickey Mouse cartoon; it reminded me more of the comics (down to classic villain "Dr. Ecks", here voiced by Kelsey Grammar and renamed "Dr. Frankenollie" after two of the Nine Old Men).

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Walt Disney On The Front Lines
During World War II the Disney Studios lent its talents to the patriotic cause of winning the war. This fascinating collection showcases the training, propaganda and educational films, as well as hundreds of insignia designs, which the Studio delivered to the war effort (32 shorts).

Sorry if I sound stupid, but does this mean that this set includes those war-time Donald Duck cartoons where he was in the army?

Also, if there are more 'theme' sets like this, it might not take 4 chronological sets to get all the Donald Duck cartoons.

Plus, are the 145-150 Donald toons that Adam mentioned all headlined by Donald or does he appear in this many toons altogether? There are numerous shorts already on the Mickey discs in which Donald appears as well.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I don't know where the 145-150 figure comes from. "The official encyclopedia - Disney A to Z" (first edition 1996) counts 128 DD titles 1936-1961. However, I guess the number of shorts where DD appears is consiberably higher than 150.

Quote: "Sorry if I sound stupid, but does this mean that this set includes those war-time Donald Duck cartoons where he was in the army?"

I guess we don't know yet, but this...

"This fascinating collection showcases the training, propaganda and educational films, as well as hundreds of insignia designs, which the Studio delivered to the war effort (32 shorts)."

...might suggest that it does not. If "Der Fuehrer's Face" is not included here, quite a few people will be disappointed.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this will include Mickey's Christmas Carol. It appears on a disney christmas dvd, but with the credits cut off, so I still have to watch my laser disc version of it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Animation critic Ernest Rister, who posts frequently at the IGN boards, had this to say about the possible content of these four sets:

borrows heavily from the animation sequences created for that film showing the Wright Bros. at Kitty Hawk, the history of military aircraft, etc. Only real excuse that I can see.

Hope this is helpful. :)

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
The idea is that all Treasures releases should be uncut. Black & White Volume 2 is rumored for next year.
I have never seen "Victory Through Air Power" and do hope that Disney releases it at some point.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think Leonard Maltin unofficially confirmed that Victory Through Air Power will be on the Wartime set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, DFF was after "Chef Donald", so it will most likely be on the War Time set. And it will truly be an incredible release. Bravo to Disney and Mr. Maltin for sticking with it. Everyone needs to buy it, because a) the stuff on it will be incredible, and b) to have Disney finally release Song of the South, ever if as a Treasures set.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
One of the 3 "other" Mickey cartoons might be:

Mickey Mouse Disco (1979): No new animation, but a compilation released in theatres set to original disco music, to tie in to the album of the same name. I have a 35mm print of this but have not found a place to view it yet.

As for the other two, are there any educational shorts starring Mickey?

Or their may be some shorts that featured Minnie, but not Mickey (particularly the short-lived Figaro series, with 6 entries, which I imagine might be better as a supplement to a Pinocchio SE DVD).

Or the 1939 promo short for Standard Oil, "The Standard Parade."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks