What's new

Disney to remake "Dumbo" in live-action with script by "Transformers" writer (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
* And you could even argue that Neighbors is another movie in the Seth Rogen franchise.
Hey! D'ya suppose Seth Rogan could be in it?

That would make it a two-fer! A Disney sequel AND part of the Seth Rogen franchise...

...AND lasers!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Without reading the thread yet or worrying about being a contrary fuddy duddy or a bandwagon jumper for my opinion...this may be the worst film idea I've ever heard in the my entire life. I cannot believe a business would publicize even thinking about this, much less a willingness to go forward with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Mayer said:
I cannot believe a business would publicize even thinking about this, much less a willingness to go forward with it.
I think they wanted to hear what the public reaction would be. I can't imagine there was too much positive so I wouldn't be surprised if this went away or went no further.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's not like Disney has never done anything else with the characters besides the movie: The Disney Channel did Dumbo's Circus in the 1980s and there was supposed to be a direct-to-video Dumbo II in the 2000s before Lasseter issued his "enough is enough" dictum regarding DTV sequels (likely not just because they were sequels per se, but because they don't even try to make them as good as the originals).

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Jason Charlton said:
I love strawberries.
I've loved them all my life - they are my favorite pseudofruit.
If I just found out that Justin Beiber likes strawberries, too - does that "ruin" strawberries for me?
It might. Would you really want to be known as someone who likes somethng Justin Bieber likes ;)?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe Justin Beiber could play the title role in Dumbo?!?
confused-smiley-013.gif

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Mike Frezon said:
Maybe Justin Beiber could play the title role in Dumbo?!?
confused-smiley-013.gif
And Usher can play the leader of the crows. How are they going to handle those characters?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
MatthewA said:
It's not like Disney has never done anything else with the characters besides the movie: The Disney Channel did Dumbo's Circus in the 1980s and there was supposed to be a direct-to-video Dumbo II in the 2000s before Lasseter issued his "enough is enough" dictum regarding DTV sequels (likely not just because they were sequels per se, but because they don't even try to make them as good as the originals).
The *one* DTV sequel I absolutely adored was "Cinderella III". It flipped the original story upside-down - absolutely unprecedented. I thought the final product was nothing less than genius.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
"Transformers" had a writer?
I was on another site and it was funny to see this rhetorical question applied to that franchise a couple of times by people.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
And Usher can play the leader of the crows. How are they going to handle those characters?
Make them all seagulls? That way they can be "pretty fly for some white guys".

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
So will Dumbo will be a big CGI cartoon elephant? Garfield / Smurfs movie style? I admit I'm kind of curious as to how they could pull that off. Not enough to see it, of course.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Greg Kettell said:
So will Dumbo will be a big CGI cartoon elephant? Garfield / Smurfs movie style? I admit I'm kind of curious as to how they could pull that off. Not enough to see it, of course.
Unless they can find a flying elephant before shooting starts i presume it will be CGI or a mix of live footage and CGI.

Don't forget folks that this isn't the only animated classic getting the live action treatment, they also have Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book planned and no doubt a few more if they are successful. Bambi would make a good horror film.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
FoxyMulder said:
Don't forget folks that this isn't the only animated classic getting the live action treatment, they also have Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book planned and no doubt a few more if they are successful. Bambi would make a good horror film.
What??? Another one for "The Jungle Book"? I can only assume this one will be more closer to the animated version than the 1993 live-action version, which actually used real animals.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Unless they can find a flying elephant before shooting starts i presume it will be CGI or a mix of live footage and CGI.
Of course I was being rhetorical there. :) It's just hard to see how cartoon elephants can look convincing against a real-world backdrop.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Greg Kettell said:
It's just hard to see how cartoon elephants can look convincing against a real-world backdrop.
People won't care once the crows start singing. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks