Disney - Thanks for messing up Miyazaki's films!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Elak Swindell, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Elak Swindell

Why can't Disney get subtitling right? I bought Hayao Miyazaki's great "Kiki's Delivery Service" the day it was released several months ago. The film looks and sounds excellent. Even the English dubbing is pretty good. BUT, when it comes to the subtitles for the Japanese language track, they are not accurate to what is said many times. If a character says someone's name first, then the rest of the phrase, why put the name last in the subtitles? A lot of short vocals aren't included either.

Now, I finally bought a copy of "Castle in the Sky", originally "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", and it is even worse in the subtitle department. Many times, a character will say something and the titling comes after the words are said, not at the same time. Once again, phrases are improperly rearranged or not correct. This is only half the problem though. The dubbed track of the film is terrible. Granted, Mark Hamill and Cloris Leachman are perfectly fine for their respective roles, BUT Anna Paquin and James Van Der Beek destroy their characters of Sheeta and Pazu. Like with most dubbed Japanimation films, the dialog has been entirely altered from that of the original Japanese track. Why? There is absolutely no reason for the dubbing to be completely different from the original Japanese language dialog. Disney did such an excellent job on keeping it matching the subtitling on the Japanese track with "Princess Mononoke", it destroys their image as quality Miyazaki translators when they screw up "Laputa" and "Kiki".

Also, the added music on the English dubbed track for "Castle in the Sky" is stupid. It messes up the emotional and atmospheric settings of the scenes because they were silent in the original version. Take, for instance, the beautifully done morning trumpet scene, where Pazu climbs up on top of his house to play his horn with his pigeons in flight. On the Japanese language track, it's great, with the instrument's harmonics being solely heard echoing over the valley. BUT, on the crappy dubbed track, an orchestral background has been added to the horn playing, which makes no sense and continues well after Pazu stops. I thought Miyazaki told Disney that they were not allowed to "alter" his films? They broke the rule with this added soundtrack. It totally alters the way the movie was originally portrayed.

DISNEY, IF YOU MESS UP HAYAO'S BEST FILMS, PORCO ROSSO AND NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF WIND, YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN BIG TROUBLE WITH FANS LIKE MYSELF. Get the films right or let another company do it! So far, you've only shown respect to his semi-lastest movie, Mononoke. Why couldn't you have done this with his older classics as well? If I was Hayao, I'd be very mad right now and ask for a redo of both DVDs to fix the subtitling and music issues. They deserve better.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Personally I avoid English dubbed tracks at all costs. The transfers of these films, if you stick to the original Japanese soundtracks, are aesthetically and aurally terrific. Better than the imports I've seen.

3. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Since I don't know Japanese I wouldn't know if the subtitles are incorrect...

I do however think that the dubs for both Kiki and Spirited Away are quite good, but I do prefer the Japanese track.

4. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Just watch the subtitle track only. I never bother with dubbing. If you are looking for something to complain about on these titles, look to the out of sync audio on Kiki's Delivery Service (I distinctly remember a part where is taking off on her broom and the audio being very badly out of sync in some parts, as well as when she falls into a hatch or something) as well as the pretty heavy EE on Castle In The Sky. All in all, I am very happy to have these films though. I thought a great job was done with the Spirited Away dvd.