What's new

Disney takes away one of Blu-rays best features (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm going to back off slightly from my statements yesterday.

An early post in this thread made it sound like a menu screen appeared blocking off the entire image when the pause button was pressed. If this were the truth, this would be a 1000000% NO-BUY for me, but it sounds like I mis-interpreted said post.

All of the logos, timeline, etc... is a bunch of useless nonsense in my opinion, but it will NOT keep me from buying these discs, although it could be a determining factor when I have to decide between multiple purchases. I hate when Software guys feel like they have to add all kind of bells, whistles, and other such nonsense just because they can.

The only Disney title that I'm absolutely dying to upgrade is "Dumbo" which for some reason always gets the short end of the stick.....and if they dare to clutter up the screen too much during that masterpiece, I will be a very unhappy camper. Animation will never be as natural or as beautiful as this cel-animated beauty. I might wear out my pause button watching this film. :)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by David Deeb

Universal's stupid screen-saver wrecks havoc on my Sony. If I pause a Universal BD for more than :45 seconds, their screen saver starts. Sometimes it won't stop without me restarting the entire damn thing. And suffering through the load-up, the billion FBI warnings, disclaimers, Spanish disclaimers, Spanish FBI warnings & forced trailers all over again!!

that got me on the bourne trilogy too. pause, play woudlnt work was driving me mad, then i accidently hit return/ok. went right back to the pause screen and i was able to continue watching

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Now think back to the days of the laserdisc, when both hardware and software were designed with an emphasis on the real film buff's study and appreciation of film clearly in mind: freeze frames, stepping one frame at a time, viewing a sequence at multiple slow and fast speeds. For a few golden years, it was like the home video industry couldn't make films accessible ENOUGH.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
True, except that the hardware eventually caught up, at least in that regard.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Now think back to the days of the laserdisc, when both hardware and software were designed with an emphasis on the real film buff's study and appreciation of film clearly in mind: freeze frames, stepping one frame at a time, viewing a sequence at multiple slow and fast speeds. For a few golden years, it was like the home video industry couldn't make films accessible ENOUGH.

Um, that's not really the case. CAV editions (which I still have) did that. But again, those stills were at 480 lines of resolution... super low in comparison to today. And CLV discs, while they could be paused (see a CLD-99) often had jitter still even during a pause, even on the best of players.. though it could be minimized.

Sometimes we romance the past too much. I love my LD collection, but comparing LD to Blu is apples/oranges.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Points taken. I love my LDs, DVDs, and BLUs, too, but I'm not trying compare LD to BLU. I was, however, comparing prevailing industry attitudes toward the consumer...given the technology available at the time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by David Deeb http://www.hometheaterforum.com/for...ay-one-of-blu-rays-best-features#post_3698535

that got me on the bourne trilogy too. pause, play woudlnt work was driving me mad, then i accidently hit return/ok. went right back to the pause screen and i was able to continue watching

[/quote]
Yeah, I got that the other day as well and got out of it by trying the Pop-up menu button on my Panny BD60's remote -- can't remember if I tried the return/ok button (or whatever's equiv on Panny remotes). Since I just happened to never have the problem before, I thought maybe it had something to do w/ the slightly different UK version of the Universal title not working completely right w/ my player (or its current, old-ish firmware) -- afterall, playback compatibility w/ firmware issues, etc. has become such a recurring theme w/ BDs. Guess that probably wasn't the case -- it's a minor enough issue anyway since I did figure out a sensible enough way to get out.

Still...

_Man_

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ If you think of it, try the following on some UK Uni titles, perhaps even some U.S. ones: Pause, down, enter/OK/[center button]. The first button Pauses (!) and brings up the timeline, the next button removes it, and the next button kills the timeline and pop-up menus and screen-saver, all permanently from that point on. It only works on some BDs.

Normally, with any Uni Java BD, you can control everything from the direction/center buttons. If you want to, including pop-up menus and FF/reverse.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by CraigF

^ If you think of it, try the following on some UK Uni titles, perhaps even some U.S. ones: Pause, down, enter/OK/[center button]. The first button Pauses (!) and brings up the timeline, the next button removes it, and the next button kills the timeline and pop-up menus and screen-saver, all permanently from that point on. It only works on some BDs.

Normally, with any Uni Java BD, you can control everything from the direction/center buttons. If you want to, including pop-up menus and FF/reverse.

What does "permanently" mean? What if I later want to undo that? Do I just pause and then hit the up button?

I could probably do w/out the timeline feature (and probably the Uni screensaver too), but I'd prefer not to lose the pop-up menu in the process -- I guess that means this trick isn't for me.

Thanks.

_Man_

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ It seems to be a "pop-up killer", since that's the main attribute the eliminated things all have in common. The main menu still works, so no large functionality is lost, play resumes where you left off to call the main menu. I only found it a few days ago. Anyway, I have no idea what BDs it works on, I'm watching (USA Uni) BSG right now and I know it doesn't work for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks