What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Gotta remember that one, the next time the "Yeah, but look how you pay at the THEATER for four people!" defender card gets pulled out for the Nth time.

It is a legitimate, perfectly reasonable "card" to pull out, and you write that as if this is a contest and you want your side to win.

Different things work for different people and I am happy to have more options available to me for consuming movies.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
It is a legitimate, perfectly reasonable "card" to pull out, and you write that as if this is a contest and you want your side to win.

Not as much now, since, as history showed, our "side" DID actually win. :P

It's just that these things get passed down in tradition (from the days when studios thought they could sell digital to people who "didn't care" how they got their movies, and those who didn't bragged about how much they didn't, until studios found out they didn't care about joining new services, either), to the point that nobody remembers how they first started.
Now, it's just joined the general complaints about overpriced chain cineplexes, and with the collapse of AMC Theatres during the lockdown, and the rise of support for local theaters and makeshift drive-in's, it's starting to shed light on just how many people literally don't know that theaters exist outside of the overpriced chains, and try to shape the round peg of home theater to fit that square view.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My understanding is that you wouldn't get it back. Of course in 3 months it would be part of the regular D+ package anyway.
Wait a minute. I can buy it for $30 or wait 3 months and it’s part of the regular subscription package? I can do that. I don’t know why but I haven’t got excited about Mulan at all.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Or they'll delay Mulan's widespread D+ release to encourage as many $30 rentals as possible.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute. I can buy it for $30 or wait 3 months and it’s part of the regular subscription package? I can do that. I don’t know why but I haven’t got excited about Mulan at all.
This is purely my guess but I think that since they're selling Mulan, it will be a much longer time until it is added as a normal part of the Disney + subscription. My guess is that it will be quietly added next summer so the people that paid $30 for it won't feel like they should wait the next time a movie goes up on there because it's a relatively brief wait for it to be added to D+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is purely my guess but I think that since they're selling Mulan, it will be a much longer time until it is added as a normal part of the Disney + subscription. My guess is that it will be quietly added next summer so the people that paid $30 for it won't feel like they should wait the next time a movie goes up on there because it's a relatively brief wait for it to be added to D+.
I'll be surprised if it's that long. IMO, I think it will be in the late winter or early spring.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When it comes to home video releases, patience is almost always rewarded with a lower cost. There is usually a premium price to pay for seeing titles when they are first released.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Interesting strategy. They can do what they like with it. But Apple TV+ paid a boatload for Greyhound and you just get it as part of the service. Netflix has Irishman, Bird Box and many other big budget films that probably could have started theatrical. (Irishman played theatrically didn't it? For like a week in a couple of theaters...but no one saw it that way).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd be pissed to pay $30 for Mulan now and then find it goes wide on D+ really soon.

But, like I said earlier (maybe in the Mulan thread) I won't be paying $30 anytime soon on a service that I am already paying for and won't have forever.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

"Watch with Premier Access for $29.99 before it’s available to all Disney+ subscribers"

First of all - if they're confirming it will be available to all subscribers at some point, wouldn't that really shrink the number of people paying $29.99?

Second - again, if it will be available to all subscribers, then why is the whole "you can watch it as long as you maintain your Disney+ subscription" thing an issue?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"Watch with Premier Access for $29.99 before it’s available to all Disney+ subscribers"

First of all - if they're confirming it will be available to all subscribers at some point, wouldn't that really shrink the number of people paying $29.99?
I think since this movie is the first one out of the gate, it won't have a real effect. Once people get used to those movies ending up as part of the regular subscription, that'll eventually eat away at PVOD sales for movies that don't have a rabid fanbase like Marvel or Star Wars.

I have to say that I'm impressed by their honesty. I figured they'd say nothing one way or the other despite that it seems obvious that it will be available as part of the regular subscription at some point.

Second - again, if it will be available to all subscribers, then why is the whole "you can watch it as long as you maintain your Disney+ subscription" thing an issue?
I guess if you're paying month to month, it might be an issue but I don't see it as a major roadblock for people deciding to pay $30 for PVOD or not.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Much like the recent deals with options to shrink the exclusive theatrical window, I'd think sales numbers would be a big consideration in how quickly Mulan moves to standard D+ access.

They have such a large amount of money invested in the film, if only a small number of subscribers are willing to pay the premium price, and the film is basically being ignored by a large audience, they may feel it has more value as an attraction to try and boost standard D+ subscriptions vs. trying to achieve a premium price from existing subscribers. In that case, it might show up on standard D+ relatively soon.

There's no advantage to Disney to hold it back if only a small audience is willing to pay extra for it. If they can boost subscription numbers, that would likely offset the bad blood from a few who paid the premium just to see it offered on the standard service a couple months later.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
In that linked Time article further up thread, a survey of D+ subscribers indicated ~15% were willing to fork over the $30 (Including us, the proverbial family of 4). The article indicated this would bring in ~$270M, going a long way to offset their investment. Throw in overseas theatrical revenue (eg China) and they should do alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks