What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Whether or not it gets censored, the placeholder on Disney+ indicates that it will be 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos. At least there’s that!

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Whether or not it gets censored, the placeholder on Disney+ indicates that it will be 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos. At least there’s that!
MPAA gave it a PG-13 rating today. That doesn't mean it won't get edited for content on the streaming service, although there is the possibility that the uncut version could make an appearance later on Hulu.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Lin Manuel shared on Twitter that 2 F***S were bleeped. That's it. You're only allowed 1 F**K before being rated R by the MPAA. So, all in all. 1 F**K left and 2 bleeped out. Everything else is there. No other edits.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disney hasn't said anything officially, but Lin-Manuel Miranda already indicated that he wouldn't be opposed to that when he sold it to them. There is already a "clean" version of the cast album, so I assume it will probably match that. Especially since they are putting the Disney castle logo in front of it, I don't think there's any chance that we will hear the word "motherfucker" in it. But I also think the language in the show is minor enough that removing it will not change the essence of the piece.

Thanks for that update.

I am surprised even 1 F-word is being left in there given this is the Disney Channel and accessible by any child. Still, I'll take it!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You're only allowed 1 F**K before being rated R by the MPAA.
As long as it is used in a non-sexual connotation. :rolleyes:

It still boggles my mind to this day exactly HOW John Hughes and Universal managed to get a PG rating for Sixteen Candles. One F-bomb and nudity. Airplane is another.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As long as it is used in a non-sexual connotation. :rolleyes:

It still boggles my mind to this day exactly HOW John Hughes and Universal managed to get a PG rating for Sixteen Candles. One F-bomb and nudity. Airplane is another.

It used to be less restrictive - All The President’s Men is PG and has something like a dozen f-bombs in it.

The MPAA also told Coppola in 72 that he could have a PG for “Godfather” if he most importantly cut the bare breast shown during Michael’s wedding night and secondarily trimmed some of the bullets during Sonny’s shooting.

It definitely feels in my lifetime that PG/PG-13 has gotten less restrictive concerning violence and more so concerning sex/nudity and language.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It definitely feels in my lifetime that PG/PG-13 has gotten less restrictive concerning violence and more so concerning sex/nudity and language.
Absolutely. Currently, they can show pretty much any violence they want as long as there's no blood and still get a PG-13 but if they say the f-word in the 'wrong' way, they've got an R rating.

I feel like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now when he says "They train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene." :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Disney was the wrong service to obtain this showing.

However, I am thankful for it nonetheless.

Perhaps we will get the original uncensored version when it hits home video as long as Disney doesn't release it under their normal brand label.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan

Disney was the wrong service to obtain this showing.

However, I am thankful for it nonetheless.

Perhaps we will get the original uncensored version when it hits home video as long as Disney doesn't release it under their normal brand label.

Why? Because they are going to bleep 2 words out of the whole show? Everything else is there. That's just silliness on your part, I'm sorry. Lin Manuel himself sanctioned this release. If he's happy with it, I'm OK with that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Why? Because they are going to bleep 2 words out of the whole show? Everything else is there. That's just silliness on your part, I'm sorry. Lin Manuel himself sanctioned this release. If he's happy with it, I'm OK with that.

Well, Bravo for you! Don't be disrespectful to others here for their opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Absolutely. Currently, they can show pretty much any violence they want as long as there's no blood and still get a PG-13 but if they say the f-word in the 'wrong' way, they've got an R rating.

I feel like Kurtz in Apocalypse Now when he says "They train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene." :)

The funny/ironic part to me is how irrelevant the ratings are becoming. A hit movie effectively plays in theaters for a few weeks and then never again. It’ll then play on home video where the rating doesn’t matter, and then on premium cable and subscription streaming where not only does the rating not matter, but those services themselves offer content that is too graphic for an “R” rating. Live theater doesn’t restrict language or nudity or rate it. It’s theatrical releases and over the air broadcast as the last venues where people act as if the rating is a sacred and solemn duty, and those two venues represent an ever dwindling percentage of content viewing.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The funny/ironic part to me is how irrelevant the ratings are becoming. A hit movie effectively plays in theaters for a few weeks and then never again. It’ll then play on home video where the rating doesn’t matter, and then on premium cable and subscription streaming where not only does the rating not matter, but those services themselves offer content that is too graphic for an “R” rating. Live theater doesn’t restrict language or nudity or rate it. It’s theatrical releases and over the air broadcast as the last venues where people act as if the rating is a sacred and solemn duty, and those two venues represent an ever dwindling percentage of content viewing.
Most of the streaming services utilize the TV rating system rather than the MPAA movie rating system. Why? Two main reasons are that TV ratings can be self applied, and there is little to no cost for them to use the ratings. The downside is that a TV-PG on one service (or TV network) could become a TV-14 on another. It gets even more diluted when you start looking at a TV series. When TV ratings were initially conceived, they were meant to be applied on an episode basis. Those guidelines were revised a few years later, allowing a network or program provider to assign a single rating to an entire season or series rather than rate each individual episode. I recall NBC receiving complaints around the time this guideline was changed regarding the TV series Friends, as some episodes were more risque in their humor than others, yet at the time the series aired as TV-PG. I believe NBC and Warner Bros revised that rating to TV-14 afterwards.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve noticed that CBS All Access rates episodes individually rather than by series, which brings up an interesting conundrum - if you’re doing a serialized shows and half are TV-14 and half are TV-MA (as was the case with some of the new Star Trek) you might as well call them all TV-MA. They have a situation now where a parent might decide to let their children start a show and then discover that a key episode isn’t appropriate for the kids and then be stuck in a position where they can’t continue watching something they started.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I’ve noticed that CBS All Access rates episodes individually rather than by series, which brings up an interesting conundrum - if you’re doing a serialized shows and half are TV-14 and half are TV-MA (as was the case with some of the new Star Trek) you might as well call them all TV-MA. They have a situation now where a parent might decide to let their children start a show and then discover that a key episode isn’t appropriate for the kids and then be stuck in a position where they can’t continue watching something they started.
I noticed that with Picard. Very irritating, but I also feel there is no need for all the F-bombs on that show. Just because you are on a streaming platform which is not controlled by the FCC for content does not mean you have to curse. There are probably lots of parents and grandparents who would want to share that program with their kids and grandkids. I remember a lot of fans of MST3K that found the cursing in MST3K: The Movie to be put of place when that came out.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Most of the streaming services utilize the TV rating system rather than the MPAA movie rating system.

I know this is a point you've made before, but unless I'm completely misreading what you're saying, I just don't find this to be the case.

A run-through of Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime shows that for their original content they use TV ratings for episodic shows but MPAA ratings for movies.

Am I reading you wrong?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I know this is a point you've made before, but unless I'm completely misreading what you're saying, I just don't find this to be the case.

A run-through of Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime shows that for their original content they use TV ratings for episodic shows but MPAA ratings for movies.

Am I reading you wrong?
Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon also use TV ratings for movies made for TV (Disney Channel movies, Amazon/Netflix movies that did not receive a theatrical release), and Disney should be using TV ratings instead of MPAA ratings for any theatrical releases that have been edited for the service for content, just like TV networks such as F/X, TBS, TNT, etc. do. I just checked, and Splash is now rated TV-PG. I think the MPAA and the press finally got them straightened out on that one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The funny/ironic part to me is how irrelevant the ratings are becoming. A hit movie effectively plays in theaters for a few weeks and then never again. It’ll then play on home video where the rating doesn’t matter, and then on premium cable and subscription streaming where not only does the rating not matter, but those services themselves offer content that is too graphic for an “R” rating.
AMC is basic cable and they play a show like The Walking Dead that is so violent that if a Friday The 13th movie had attempted the kind of violence in the 1980's, the MPAA would have burned the footage, buried the ashes and salted the earth where they dumped them. FX is another basic cable channel where they show and say anything now.

I say none of the above as a critique. I'm just noting how things have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks