What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MGM was the distributor at least back in 2018 - they made the new 4K master that was also the basis for the recent Criterion disc.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just found this in a recent article on Newsweek:

"Though the Rob Reiner movie was not made by Disney, it was acquired by the Mouse House as part of its acquisition of 20th Century Fox and its catalogue."

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It was financed independently, so it's possible the streaming rights were negotiated separately from the home video rights.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
["Princess Bride"] was financed independently, so it's possible the streaming rights were negotiated separately from the home video rights.

Exactly. PB was originally released on video by Nelson, whose catalogue now resides with MGM. The TV rights, to my knowledge, have always been with Fox.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
What I read was that all rights to the film EXCEPT Home Video reside with Fox. Home video rights still belong to MGM. I'm guessing Disney+ isn't considered home video.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What I read was that all rights to the film EXCEPT Home Video reside with Fox. Home video rights still belong to MGM. I'm guessing Disney+ isn't considered home video.
That stands to reason. The iTunes version starts with the MGM Lion. The Disney+ version with 20th Century Fox logo. That also explains why Disney+ doesn't have the 4K version because that restoration was paid for by MGM (and possibly Criterion who licensed it from MGM).

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

That stands to reason. The iTunes version starts with the MGM Lion. The Disney+ version with 20th Century Fox logo. That also explains why Disney+ doesn't have the 4K version because that restoration was paid for by MGM (and possibly Criterion who licensed it from MGM).

And I think Lionsgate owns the foreign rights (inherited from the owners of the Vestron catalogue), so Disney+ most likely doesn't have it outside North America. I could be wrong, though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see Broadway's "Hamilton" is coming to Disney+ on July 3rd. Has anybody seen this play and whether Disney will be altering it due to language, sex or violence?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Has anybody seen this play

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Can't you just give me a "yes" or "no" answer to my question as to the possibility of any editing by Disney? :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can't you just give me a "yes" or "no" answer to my question as to the possibility of any editing by Disney? :D

The play features numerous swear words which would have resulted in an “R” rating had it been a conventional film, which makes it seem a likely target for edits on the Disney+ platform.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't say "numerous" swear words. Three or four F-words (one of which the show already self-censors as a joke) and a couple "shits." It's not going to be extremely different. I would expect it to be similar to what is already available on the clean version of the cast album. Is every word going to be exactly the same as spoken live? Probably not. But I am sure that the shape and overall artistic vision of the piece will be maintained.

Also, as I said in the thread over in the movies forum, Lin-Manuel Miranda chose to sell the film to Disney. Multiple studios wanted to release it and there was a bidding war. He could have chosen to sell it to Warner Bros., for example, which worked with him on the film version of In the Heights, and would have been able to upload it uncensored to HBO Max. He chose Disney. He knows what that means, and I am sure he will be involved in making the edits as necessary. So I don't have a problem with that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
On the one hand, I'm glad to see that after paying 2-3 years upfront for Disney+ I have a reason to watch it.

On the other, HAMILTON on Disney+? How much editing is going to be done or does anybody think they will air as performed?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are maybe a dozen curses throughout the nearly 3 hour running time. They can either edit them out, let it play as is with a disclaimer, or offer two different audio options. Neither will substantially affect the content or message being conveyed. There is no nudity and the use of violence is conveyed in the form of choreographed dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks