What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
And it is interesting that Universal has been the ONLY studio that is sticking with the $20 rental. Warner and Sony have announced early releases of current (or very recent) theatricals as purchases - Birds of Prey, Just Mercy, Bloodshot, The Way Back, etc.

Agreed, but I think it's a matter of these companies not having gone down this path before and not knowing exactly how to proceed with the situation at hand...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Another vintage title got added to Disney+, first time in HD and widescreen (1.66:1), from 1978: The Small One. It appears to be fully restored and looks great!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The Straight Story has been added to Disney+ which is nice since there isn't a North American blu-ray release. I can't recommend it enough as it is a great film directed by David Lynch that is quite un-Lynchian!

https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/the-straight-story/3XDcRhanrvP6

The_Straight_Story_Movie_Poster_27x40_large.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Another vintage title got added to Disney+, first time in HD and widescreen (1.66:1), from 1978: The Small One. It appears to be fully restored and looks great!
Wow finally other than My Dog the thief this is the 1st pre 1980 Disney live action movie they have added since launch. I better watch this quick before it gets cut and edited like The Bears and I.
Update: Just saw that this is actually a 26 minute animated short feature and not a live action film which is probably why I don't remember this. So still no new live action films since launch even all the HD ready films on iTunes and Vudu or the ones that have previously aired on TCM. I think we know who is picking the programming. But we are far far away from them truly opening the vaults to this service which is what I expected from the beginning.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow finally other than My Dog the thief this is the 1st pre 1980 Disney live action movie they have added since launch. I better watch this quick before it gets cut and edited like The Bears and I.
Update: Just saw that this is actually a 26 minute animated short feature and not a live action film which is probably why I don't remember this. So still no new live action films since launch even all the HD ready films on iTunes and Vudu or the ones that have previously aired on TCM. I think we know who is picking the programming. But we are far far away from them truly opening the vaults to this service which is what I expected from the beginning.
Sorry, I just assumed everyone knew that The Small One was an animated featurette. In addition to My Dog the Thief, two other vintage TV movies have been added to the service since launch: Hacksaw, and The Boy Who Talked to Badgers, but as all three of these TV movies are unrestored and in standard definition, I hardly thought they were worth mentioning.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Key difference -- Disney Plus has 50M paying customers.
I gather from reading most streaming threads that about half of Netflix base are on it for free -- perhaps more than a little tongue in cheek, but no idea of the actual paid customers other than extrapolating from posters

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Key difference -- Disney Plus has 50M paying customers.
I gather from reading most streaming threads that about half of Netflix base are on it for free -- perhaps more than a little tongue in cheek, but no idea of the actual paid customers other than extrapolating from posters

You don't have to extrapolate anything to find out how many paying customers Netflix has. It's a publicly traded company and has to file that info with the SEC.

It has 167 million paid customers as of January. An apples to apples comparison to Disney's numbers.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
There is a second scene of Daryl Hannah's butt that's been altered in "Splash". The criticism is fair as some of these movies/shows should be on Hulu unedited.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/media/disney-splash-edited/index.html

I've heard stories about Disney planning a remake of Splash for years. Why don't they just remake it for Disney+ instead and free the butt?!

I wonder if they left in the scene where John Candy says some racy stuff in Swedish? Sure, we can let our kids hear about 12-inch penises, but Heaven forbid we let them see a woman's bottom!

iQF9QT4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks