What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Some YouTube commenter claimed The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was actually 4x3 HD on D+. That kind of negates the excuse for why they haven't solved The Simpsons' aspect ratio issues when they said they would.

While that video deals only with the problems of Disney+ with regard to their skittishness with original content, my main issue with the service is how that skittishness is affecting classic movies and shows. So much is “modified for content” and I’m beginning to think that the reason they have been so slow to add any more vintage (Walt-era) movies is because they need to have a content committee comb through everything and make decisions on what is acceptable and what is not. Good grief!

What starts with Song of the South seldom ends there. How much else are they going to cut out of other movies? After subsequent musicals got gutted, are they going to sentence them to death by a thousand more cuts? I warned people this would happen.

Weird about The Bears and I can't see what would need to be edited. Probably just PC stuff which would probably end up changing the whole point of the movie. I'm glad I watched this one twice in December.

I've never even seen the film, but the very idea that a G-rated film would be subject to this kind of censorship in 2020 is baffling.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've never even seen the film, but the very idea that a G-rated film would be subject to this kind of censorship in 2020 is baffling.
I have a feeling the cuts have something to do with the mistreatment of animals as this was before the American Humane Association's involvement with films.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I mentioned earlier that this is their platform, and Disney can do whatever they feel necessary to fit in the mold of "family friendly".
This isn't a service for film preservation. It is a modern streaming service designed by modern Disney. This isn't a premium cable network like HBO. They can alter, or cut any of the content they want to fit their image. Like Bad news Bears going from a "G" to a "PG-13" or "Splash" going from a "PG" to "PG-13" both with content being omitted.

You can expect more of the same with future content. No way "Never Cry Wolf" makes it on Disney + with a "G" rating and brief nudity for example.

Times change, standards change. Be thankful for the discs you own that are uncut It is likely you will never have a chance to own them again in physical form.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Y'all need to get a grip, seriously. There was never a guarantee SotS would make it onto the service, or any service. They've stated their reasons and they're not likely to change. We won't see this movie in any legit form for the foreseeable future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really despise Disney.

They are a horrible, horrible company.

Well I knew this would never happen, so it isn't surprising. Especially since they started cutting, and altering G, and PG rated films (and changing their rating to PG-13) on their platform. They are micro-managing to the extreme to fit the what they feel is acceptable. I look forward to The Mandalorian season 2. Until then I'm off their subscription list.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Look I still think Disney + is a great service, and an amazing value.

The reason I'm no longer subscribed is because nearly everything I want to see on it, I own on disc. In 4K or 3D. That leaves only the original programming and so far there has been not enough to keep me subscribed. "Togo" was a truly wonderful film. If they had more originals like that coming say once a month I'd be a lifelong subscriber.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What was edited out of Splash?

Daryl Hannah brief nudity.

A shame the Blu-Ray is so rare, and expensive. There are some fantastic special features.
I watched it a few nights ago, and it looked great. If you a re a big fan of the film it is worth the aftermarket price though IMO!

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
But John Candy's fantasy letter to Penthouse entitled "a lesbian no more" was still acceptable? This is wack. I have less of a problem with Song of the South, and I mean that.

Y'all need to get a grip, seriously. There was never a guarantee SotS would make it onto the service, or any service. They've stated their reasons and they're not likely to change. We won't see this movie in any legit form for the foreseeable future.

Then I will never support this company again, no matter what I must give up to that end.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Y'all need to get a grip, seriously. There was never a guarantee SotS would make it onto the service, or any service.
The only guarantee that I could imagine regarding SOTS is that it wouldn't ever be on Disney + or legally released ever again. I don't even understand why someone even wasted time asking Iger about it. Did they follow it up with "Bob, what color is the sky?"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Then Disney has no business being in business. This transgression is just one act of many, all of them combined have made me hate this company with the same passion with which I used to love it: the maintenance at the parks has been slipping, and the remakes are out of control.

I really despise Disney.

They are a horrible, horrible company.

Well, we can hate them together. I love what they were. I hate what they are now. The Disney of 1984 was worth saving and needed saving. The Disney of 2020 needs to be broken up for its own good and ours. They have reached the point where they just own too much stuff. They can no longer manage it all and give it all equal attention effectively. Something has got to give.

But I warned people that Disney's desire to remove films altogether would not end with Song of the South. I was right. It's metastasized. I never expected Disney+ to be an automatic guarantee that it would be on there right away, but this sounded like the path of least resistance on paper since they could just sneak it in without having to build an ad campaign around it. How many people would cancel their memberships if the option to watch was there? But now, with the films they do release, even the last film you'd expect to get cut got cut. And the number of catalog titles doesn't seem to be growing other than the same old non-exclusive titles that have been in print in physical media for decades. If you don't like the content that constitutes the studio's legacy, then why work there?

Giving these people that much control over what we can and can't watch is extremely disconcerting. Who knows what kind of damage they will do to the Fox library. Changing the name of the studio was one thing. Will Stormy Weather also meet the same fate?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks