What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That person is obviously completely unfamiliar with Roku's products. You may need to ask for a representative who knows something about Roku.
That is why I eventually called in. Apparently Disney has now outsourced their chat support overseas, but maintains phone support here in the US.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just saw Disney+ dropped a trailer on social media promoting some of their new releases for February.

It includes some spoiler-heavy clips from the ending of Toy Story 4, which is uploading to Disney+ on Friday. If anyone has been waiting for Disney+ to get it to watch Toy Story 4, I strongly recommend not watching this trailer.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
From investors call:

Disney+ has 28.6 million paid subscribers* as of Feb 3 (avg revenue is $5.56ea so that's $159,016,000 per month)

Hulu has 30.7 million

Hulu Live TV 3.2 million

ESPN+ has 6.6 million

*1/3 come from Verizon, but Verizon is paying Disney for those.

Side note - It was estimated Verizon would add 525k new subscriptions for the quarter, but instead added 790k. Paying for a year of Disney+ was probably a damn smart move.

Last edited:

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
In asking a chat support rep on Disney+ why my Roku can't display 4K on my 4K non-HDR display, he kept asking me what "generation" of Roku I have. I kept telling him that Roku does not use that term, but kept giving him the model number. He told me to go to the "About" screen, and I gave him EVERYTHING listed. He then asked "What about generation or operating system?" I told him there were no such listings on that screen. "Can you go to the About screen?" I told him I was on that screen and listed everything there, to which he responded "Sorry Todd I'm not familiar with Roku because i don't own one and I Haven't use one." :eek:

It went downhill from there: "Do you have your phone with you I'll let you see how should it look like. Are you using Android or IOS?"

I'm getting frustrated with this as well. I have a TV that can technically do HDR10, but in practice the picture is unacceptably dark (and Disney+ is the worst offender by far). I prefer to keep the HDR turned off, and I can still get 4K resolution from every Roku app except Disney+ . It seems to be something that Disney is deliberately blocking, rather than any sort of glitch, and it's very annoying. I feel like I should be able to choose not to have HDR on if I don't want it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You know what guys? Disney+ is already pissing me off. Once my one-year subscription expires, I think I'm done. At launch they had "The Bears & I", uncut and in 4K. I noticed it disappeared from my watchlist. When I searched for it, I found it, but now with the disclaimer "edited for content" in a version that is 6 minutes shorter and no longer in 4K.

The Wonderful World of Disney episode "I Captured the King of the Leprechauns" was added to the service on February 28th. I checked out a few minutes of it, saved it to watch later, came back to watch it today and it's gone. Aughhhhh! What possible complaint would cause them to pull that down?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You know what guys? Disney+ is already pissing me off. Once my one-year subscription expires, I think I'm done.

There is not a business or service out there that won't at some point do something to draw your ire.

Your money is to do with as you please of course, but for me the good this service brings far outweighs the bad...

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
A few days ago, I watched the Empire of Dreams documentary and noticed it started with an “edited for content” disclaimer. Can anyone familiar with this documentary fill me in on what might have gotten edited?

On a similar note, I have to say I share Mark-P’s frustration over the almost immediate removal of I Captured the King of the Leprechauns (was really looking forward to seeing that one again) and can’t for the life of me figure out why this was done except maybe the fact that it makes the redubbing on Darby O’Gill more obvious, though it’s still a poor excuse.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have a stupid question...

Ended up with three years of paid subscription for Disney+

I don't watch it now that Mandalorian is on hiatus.

Can you put the service on hold? I would think not because I am not paying monthly.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wondering if I Captured The King was temporarily removed - maybe they’re building up a page for St Patrick’s Day content?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wondering if I Captured The King was temporarily removed - maybe they’re building up a page for St Patrick’s Day content?
Here's the thing, Josh. It was announced weeks in advance that it would be added on February 28th, and lo and behold it was. A day later it was pulled. While there's a possibility it's just a glitch or they are temporarily retooling something, I think it is more likely that something objectionable was pointed out to them and they panicked and yanked it down. If it returns with an "edited for content" disclaimer, we will know for sure. Disney+ is a great service for the kids, not so much for the serious adult collector.

..except maybe the fact that it makes the redubbing on Darby O’Gill more obvious, though it’s still a poor excuse.
I actually think Disney+ purposefully chose the redubbed version for the service because it is more kid-friendly. It was originally created by Walt specifically because the little tykes were having difficulty understanding the heavy Irish brogues.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Gonna have to watch my CED of The Bears and I now to see what possibly could have been cut out of it- it was rated G.

Why can't they just have BOTH the uncut and edited versions available, and let all the concerned parents decide what they want their kids to see?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I actually think Disney+ purposefully chose the redubbed version for the service because it is more kid-friendly. It was originally created by Walt specifically because the little tykes were having difficulty understanding the heavy Irish brogues.

That’s all very well, except the special retains the original “heavy Irish brogues,” which might cause confusion for those who have only heard the redubbed version, hence why I suggested that as a possible reason for it’s immediate removal.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, it looks like Dolby Atmos is finally working on 4K Fire OS devices! Now if they could just fix the 4K video issue on Roku's connected to non-HDR displays...

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
You know what guys? Disney+ is already pissing me off. Once my one-year subscription expires, I think I'm done. .....?

We just cancelled after a few months, but for a few different reasons. Most of the content released since launch has been the new style of Disney kids shows which I have no interest in - and a few more random Iron Man, Hulk and Star Wars cartoons. I burned through the available classic Disney "vault" stuff pretty quickly and they've not released much more that I can tell. Maybe more of that content is coming much later, or they are being stingy about it and plan to drip it out over a long time.

Either way, I'm sure many kids are pleased with the service. We'll wait a year and let them pile up more stuff we're interested in, and then subscribe for a month.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
You know what guys? Disney+ is already pissing me off. Once my one-year subscription expires, I think I'm done. At launch they had "The Bears & I", uncut and in 4K. I noticed it disappeared from my watchlist. When I searched for it, I found it, but now with the disclaimer "edited for content" in a version that is 6 minutes shorter and no longer in 4K.

The Wonderful World of Disney episode "I Captured the King of the Leprechauns" was added to the service on February 28th. I checked out a few minutes of it, saved it to watch later, came back to watch it today and it's gone. Aughhhhh! What possible complaint would cause them to pull that down?
Weird about The Bears and I can't see what would need to be edited. Probably just PC stuff which would probably end up changing the whole point of the movie. I'm glad I watched this one twice in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks