What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm not trying to argue with you and don't completely disagree. I'm trying to say that I hink that streaming services may eventually license some of their content in other places, just as they do now in broadcast, syndication, home video, etc.

Netflix's Stranger Things is already available on BD and DVD. I would think, maybe after that series ends and their subscribers have watched it, they might sell it as digital on iTunes, Prime, etc.. I've read (can't site source now unfortunately) they are considering releasing Roma on disc. Maybe Irishman will eventually have some retail versions.

At some point, maybe Amazon Prime has to do the same. They want to sell everyone else's stuff. So maybe some companies they get a nickel from want to sell Prime series, or maybe those companies won't allow Prime to sell their stuff. Its the Wild West.

I just think at some point, all this exclusive content will be too valuable to not make a few more pennies off of it some where besides an exclusive channel. Will Game of Thrones suddenly disappear from Prime for purchase later this year because HBO launches a new streaming service? Maybe. But I think the odds that stuff still is available for rent, purchase on disc & digital on other platforms besides exclusive streamers will sort itself out.

This has already happened, as HBO does have a streaming service called HBO Now. Also, HBO licenses some of their shows to Amazon, who provides those shows to their Prime members at no additional cost.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Did any of those others take a pile of D's animators with them when they quit?

That's still irrelevant. If Disney thinks that putting a Bluth movie that they own on Disney+ will be an asset to Disney+, then they'll do it. They don't care at this point what the history was. It's a piece of content that they can exploit. Aside from Song of the South, when have you ever known Disney to not exploit their own content to the fullest extent possible?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
It has already been reported on other sites that contacting Disney gave them the answer that those titles had problems with their encodes and will be re-encoded and returned.

Re-lax.

It's not technical reasons:
A spokesperson for Disney+ confirmed to Gizmodo that a small number of titles had left the platform over issues relating to legacy deals. However, all of those titles that have left will return to the service as soon as those licenses expire.

https://gizmodo.com/heres-why-some-disney-movies-like-home-alone-are-leavi-1840779048

On a similar note, I find it baffling that they have Thumbelina on Disney+, but not Anastasia (the most popular of the Fox-owned Don Bluth films).

Anastasia was recently added to Disney+ in Canada. In the US, it is currently streaming on HBO Now so it could be a while before it is added here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/eixodw/anastasia_now_available_in_canada/

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was in a lot of pain tonight, so I didn't want to watch anything I really cared about. I ended up trying "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series" and to my surprise, I got sucked in. Never seen the original High School Musicals, but this show is more fun than expected.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sorry about the pain, Adam - hope it passes sooner than later.

Last night my wife and I had a little free time but we didn’t know if that was gonna mean five minutes or an hour, so we decided to try running through the Forky shorts. We haven’t seen Toy Story 4 but it doesn’t matter. Now I finally get the “What? No!” thread title and they’re great little shorts.

I’m letting my subscription lapse when the current monthly cycle ends, I think on the 19th. I’ll be back when the next Star Wars or Marvel show is on, or if they add additional Mickey Mouse Club serials besides the ones presently on there which are also on DVD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was in a lot of pain tonight, so I didn't want to watch anything I really cared about.

Sorry to hear about that Adam -- get better soon!

Last night my wife and I had a little free time but we didn’t know if that was gonna mean five minutes or an hour, so we decided to try running through the Forky shorts.

FYI, the final Forky short drops this Friday. They've been dropping them on a weekly schedule like their other series, which in this case has been a little unsatisfying because it's about 3 minutes or so a week. While I understand the desire to put full episodes out weekly, these things are so brief that I would've rather had them all at once, or in a couple batches. Still, they're the thing I pull up Disney+ every Friday to watch and I'll miss them when they're over.

Oh, and Toy Story 4 is absolutely worth seeing, by the way. It's one of my favorite movies of last year.

I think I saw that TS 4 is up in the first week of February.

Lamp Life (the Bo Peep short that spun out of Toy Story 4, showing what happened to the character between Toy Story 2 and 4) is coming on January 31. So it would make sense for Toy Story 4 to appear around the same time.

That, to me, really feels like something that would, not too long ago, have been designed as a bonus feature for the disc release of the film, but now it's a Disney+ exclusive instead.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I was in a lot of pain tonight, so I didn't want to watch anything I really cared about. I ended up trying "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series" and to my surprise, I got sucked in. Never seen the original High School Musicals, but this show is more fun than expected.

Sorry you were in pain. Hope you're feeling a bit better.....

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Watched and enjoyed Togo recently. It is a Disney+ original based on the diphtheria outbreak in Nome in 1925 and the need to bring the serum by sled dog team across hundreds of miles rough terrain in horrible weather conditions. I watched it with my 10 year old daughter and her neighbor friend and we all were riveted. Give it a try!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you were in pain. Hope you're feeling a bit better.....
I am, thanks! It's an injury I've been dealing with since July. The pain comes and goes. I was really tensed up that day, for whatever reason, which always makes the pain much worse.

The upside is that I tried a show I wouldn't have otherwise tried, and ended up really enjoying. Finished the first season today. It's definitely in the Disney Channel oeuvre, but with a little bit better acting and some issues that are a bit more serious than Disney Channel delves into. The mockery of the franchise that inspired it is pretty great, too. It's as much inspired by Waiting for Guffman as it is High School Musical. And these kids are crazy talented.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Watched and enjoyed Togo recently. It is a Disney+ original based on the diphtheria outbreak in Nome in 1925 and the need to bring the serum by sled dog team across hundreds of miles rough terrain in horrible weather conditions. I watched it with my 10 year old daughter and her neighbor friend and we all were riveted. Give it a try!
It's a great movie! My wife and I watched with our dogs, who certainly are snow lovers (no sled included with miniature schnauzers):
Max in snow.jpg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
When the service first launched, I really liked how they show you the date that some titles will become available once you clicked on them but, now, it is starting to get annoying. There have been many times when I'm browsing for something to watch, see something interesting, and click on it only to find out it is not really available. The worst are the ones that are still a year or 2 away. I just wish they could add "coming soon" to the thumbnail or have a coming soon section.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
When the service first launched, I really liked how they show you the date that some titles will become available once you clicked on them but, now, it is starting to get annoying. There have been many times when I'm browsing for something to watch, see something interesting, and click on it only to find out it is not really available. The worst are the ones that are still a year or 2 away. I just wish they could add "coming soon" to the thumbnail or have a coming soon section.
Or how about the reverse - letting us know when a title will be temporarily leaving the service and when it is expected to return?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The content is great. The interface is terrible.

My wife and I have separate profiles set up, but whatever is watched in one profile affects the other. So if she watches half a movie on her profile and then I switch to my profile later, that movie shows as half watched on my end too. Kinda makes having separate profiles useless.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
That's odd, we haven't seen that in our family and we are using 6 different profiles. My wife, my parents, each of my 3 kids and I all have profiles. So far, what has been watched on one does not affect the others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The content is great. The interface is terrible.

My wife and I have separate profiles set up, but whatever is watched in one profile affects the other. So if she watches half a movie on her profile and then I switch to my profile later, that movie shows as half watched on my end too. Kinda makes having separate profiles useless.

Are you sure she isn’t watching on your profile?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks