What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I'm now watching the last episode of The Imagineering Story, which focuses in part on Disney Shanghai. Good show. I appreciate the behind the scenes stuff and the analysis, but obviously this is to a large degree a giant promo series for Disney. But it's well done.

This last episode also covers the Avatar, Star Wars, and Marvel attractions.

Just finished EP6. Outstanding. The tech they are using in Galaxies Edge for both the Falcon ride and Rise of the Resistance is very impressive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Apple TV + is doing it too. I can't stand it. You have mere seconds to find the remote and mess with it or else the credits are lost.

While not perfect, the "Skip Intro" feature on Netflix is a bit better. On the intro, the button is on screen and you can press skip to select. If you don't choose "Skip", then the intro still plays.

But on credits, could it not be the same way? In other words, allow people select to "skip" credits vs. scrambling to save them. Perhaps the person wanting to skip credits could be forced to scramble for their remote for 5 seconds or the "Skip Credits" button goes away.
Interestingly, when viewing on an iPad you get the credits taking up the full screen and the "up next" window is a small window on the bottom left of the screen. I just got done watching three episodes of Clone Wars on my iPad and got this each time. So the experience is not identical across all platforms.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is such a dumb argument. Just because it doesn't hit 700 nits doesn't mean it's not HDR. It's just a new way for stupid people to argue over meaningless designations in HomeTheater.

This release matches what Disney wants it to look like, it isn't a reimagining of the movie. Deal with it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This is such a dumb argument. Just because it doesn't hit 700 nits doesn't mean it's not HDR. It's just a new way for stupid people to argue over meaningless designations in HomeTheater.

This release matches what Disney wants it to look like, it isn't a reimagining of the movie. Deal with it.
Then there's this moron:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest has always been about the numbers and meeting specifications, not perception, so, no, his explanation isn't dumb, because he is basing it on whether Disney's claim of the films being in HDR are being met from strictly empirical measurements. Also, Vincent Teoh is anything but stupid.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On another note, the Disney+ LG TV app has been updated so the audio is now coming through as ATMOS over the ARC connection for films with ATMOS designations. If anyone else is using the TV app, I would like to know if you are experiencing audio dropouts of about a 1/2 to 1 second long at random times.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sparkshorts “Smash and Grab” is great! If you’re into sound design as cinematic language, this is especially delightful.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t had any issues getting the Atmos until now.
Watching Noelle which is Atmos but not playing the Atmos track.
Restarted Atv and That didn’t do anything.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I haven’t had any issues getting the Atmos until now.
Watching Noelle which is Atmos but not playing the Atmos track.
Restarted Atv and That didn’t do anything.
Apple TV has a known glitch with Atmos tracks. What I’ve observed is that all original Disney+ content doesn’t play back with Atmos, but theatrical movies DO play in Atmos. Not sure why original content Atmos tracks are somehow different than the others.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apple TV has a known glitch with Atmos tracks. What I’ve observed is that all original Disney+ content doesn’t play back with Atmos, but theatrical movies DO play in Atmos. Not sure why original content Atmos tracks are somehow different than the others.
I've noticed this on The Mandalorian especially. Apple TV and Fire Stick playback in 4K HDR10/DV and DD+ 5.1, while Roku plays back in 4K HDR10 and Atmos. I spoke with customer service at Disney+, and they are aware of the issue and are supposedly working on it. The rep even agreed with me that Disney should have rolled this service out more slowly so they could deal with these bugs before such a large launch - public beta to D23 members, then public beta to DMR (now DI) members, then full open launch.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else having issues where the written language and the audio language changes on its own? I’ll not use it for a few days on my LG and then I’ll come back and the written language will be like Dutch and the audio will default to Spanish.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is anyone else having issues where the written language and the audio language changes on its own? I’ll not use it for a few days on my LG and then I’ll come back and the written language will be like Dutch and the audio will default to Spanish.
No issues with this using my Apple TV 4K or Roku.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No. The LG app has been pretty solid for me. 4K, Atmos and DV. There was a glitch where the audio would drop out randomly fora 1/2 second after the ATMOS fix, but it seems to have fixed itself. The Apple 4K TV box plays TV shows like The Mandalorian in PCM while the LG plays back In DD+. I have not seen any odd language issues.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What's Coming to Disney+ in 2020:

The big news in that video for me is that "WandaVision" has apparently been moved up from 2021 to this year.

I think that the reality of "WandaVision" being moved up to 2020 is that it was originally planned to debut in early 2021 (Jan/Feb) and now it will probably debut in late December.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Didn't take Disney long to lie about not removing stuff. I know that had mention some Netflix deal in 3 years that will cause some content to leave temporarily but, I guess they have other deals with other services (although they are not saying anything so we are left to guess).

These have been removed from D+:

Home Alone

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

The Sandlot

Dr. Dolittle

Flicka

The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Strange Magic

The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration

I'm disappointed because I was one of the ones constantly quoting Disney's line about not going to remove stuff. Why say crap like that before the launch if you know you have a number of license contracts that will cause stuff to leave only months after later? I wonder how far in the future they have licensed content to third parties, how long are we going to have to deal with this stuff?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Didn't take Disney long to lie about not removing stuff. I know that had mention some Netflix deal in 3 years that will cause some content to leave temporarily but, I guess they have other deals with other services (although they are not saying anything so we are left to guess).

It has already been reported on other sites that contacting Disney gave them the answer that those titles had problems with their encodes and will be re-encoded and returned.

Re-lax.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm also hoping Disney+ will put a lot more of the Fox library of films onto its site. They already have the 1959 Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, as well as 1965's The Sound of Music, but I think they should monetize the vast Fox library by putting lots of classic Fox dramas, Westerns, musicals, etc. from the 30s to the 2000s up on the site as well. I mean they paid c. $70 billion dollars for Fox, in part to get this library, and so why not use it for Disney+?

If I were programming Disney+, I'd add An Affair to Remember for February; it just seems so perfect. And probably more Rodgers & Hammerstein, Breaking Away, Lucas, Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, My Bodyguard, some Shirley Temple movies, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks