1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney+ Streaming Service (Official What? No! Thread)

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by DaveF, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That's why Ron Miller never even tried. The park specials made during the "What Would Do Era," none of which seem to be on D+ but can still be seen on YouTube, feel like variety shows set at Disneyland/Walt Disney World. They switched to tape instead of film starting with the opening of WDW in 1971, but they are still valuable records of how the parks sold themselves to the public before Eisner and what they had to offer. After that, it got progressively more slick and corporate. It's nice to know The Imagineering Story offers at least some acknowledgment that things went wrong and that time has given them a clearer-headed perspective on what worked and what did not. I just hope they don't make those same mistakes again because I fear they could be even more costly next time.

benbess likes this.
  2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I love DCA. It gets a bad rap to this day, but it's a full day park for me. I am bummed they took away some of the street performers...I always loved to watch the Five and Dime and Red Trolley Car shows. And World of Color is my second favorite Disney nighttime spectacular. Never ever miss it!

Randy Korstick likes this.
  3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

It is still the underdog park despite many great upgrades. I like it alot too and was there the 1st month it opened. Its great to see how it has evolved over the years. The Imagineering story shows they added Toy Story Mania, World of Color and Cars Land to improve the park but they left out that they also added Tower of Terror, Monsters Inc. (dark ride exclusive to California Adventures) and The Little Mermaid (Dark Ride). Tower of Terror has now been changed into a Guardians of the Galaxy version of the same ride.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    All true. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue is a simple reskin of Superstar Limo, though, and it's not the best thing ever. Tower of Terror wasn't exclusive to the park (though that particular ride system differs from the one in Hollywood Studios). Little Mermaid isn't exclusive either (same exact attraction is in Walt Disney World). They did talk about the problems with the park more frankly than I expected and that was refreshing and nice.

Compared to DL, yes, it is an underdog. But it is a full day park if you know what you're doing. I can't wait to go back in January.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    It's a full day park now. When it first opened, it was pathetic. One could easily hit all of the top rides in half a day, plus the park used to close several hours earlier than DL. Bug's Land was added very quickly to try and boost attendance, but 90% of that was nothing more than reskinned travelling carnival rides. Cars Land and World of Color helped to change all that, plus the addition of park hopper tickets.

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Not disagreeing with that. It was a cluster at opening. Bug's Land (RIP) and some of Paradise Pier (RIP) were off the shelf rides...agreed.

It wasn't a full day when it opened. It's very easily been a full day park since I started going in 2015.

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Never realized it was considered a problem. I only went once in Summer 2004 and I thought it was a blast, but that was with a couple teen/near teens. I guess 1st time at Disneyland in general I didn't have a lot of super expectation after a dozen+ trips to DisneyWorld, Epcot, etc..

Maybe in general it was just in the middle of a jam packed 14 day trip -- San Diego Zoo, Legoland, Birch Aquarium, Fleet Science Center, SeaWorld, DL, DCA, ballgames at Petco, Angels and Dodger Stadiums, plus just general sight seeing.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The last times I went to Disneyland were 2001 (about 3 months after 9/11) and 2013 (less than two years after actually moving to CA). The first time, DL proper seemed to be "off" somehow compared to my memories of going in the 1980s and 1990s whenever I visited my grandparents in the San Fernando Valley. The second time, I saw major improvements: less shoddy merchandise and a less apathetic attitude towards things. It felt like the magic was back when it had never left to begin with, it just needed to be taken better care of. But by that time, I was the one who actually had to pay for it and it was NOT cheap! I had to sleep in my car at an RV park in walking distance just to afford to stay for a 2-day pass!

I finally took the plunge and went to DCA only after they made the renovations. It wasn't terrible, but I remember in 1991 my mom told me about the plans for Westcot and how excited I was to hear that a new gate was coming. This was after I'd already been to WDW the year before. I will always wonder what could have been. Such is the difference between the first half of the Eisner years and the second half. Frank Wells was the one who understood the existing corporate culture, and outside of Roy E. Disney, he understood the most how to make the necessary changes easier to swallow.

9. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    It's probably not that they left those out. Each episode of the documentary covers a very specific period of time. If those attractions were not added during the time period they are covering, they would not be discussed in that episode. I would expect some minor mention of them in the sixth and final episode which will bring us up to date.[/QUOTE]

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

[/QUOTE]
    That could be true for the early ones but they skipped over some too which is why I noticed it immediately. I think it had to due with time constraints to keep the episode around an hour.
    This is the approx. timeline:
    Monsters Inc. 2004
    Tower of Terror -2005 or 2006
    Toy Story Mania 2008
    World of Color 2010
    The Little Mermaid 2011
    Cars Land 2013

11. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Is there still a Disney Park that has the Nautilus from 20,000 leagues under the Sea?

12. Message #1392 of 1517 Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Brian L

Brian L Producer

DLP has one that you can enter but it is not a ride. TDS has a smaller scale one that is just a decoration.

But at TDS, it is in what amounts to Volcania, AKA Mysterious Island, which may be the coolest land in all of the Disney parks.

There is a 20K ride, but it is not on the Nautilus....you are in a mini sub in a simulated under water journey. It is very cool. There was a clip of the ride vehicle in the Imagineering episode that featured TDS.

DaveF and John*Wells like this.
  13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ah! Haven’t seen #5 yet!

I had no idea about the amazing rides in Euro Disney and Tokyo! I really want to visit them!

Brian L likes this.
  14. Message #1394 of 1517 Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The story as presented, I took as saying that Eisner was bold and visionary initially. But when his daredevil VP and partner in taking to Disney to new heights died suddenly in a helicopter accident, it crushed Eisner’s spirits. That was followed by heart attack and quadruple bypass, and Eisner no longer had the heart, figuratively and literally, to push against the opposition to make new bold and visionary investments in the parks.

MatthewA, benbess and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  16. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    Loved the guest star voices in that episode. Talk about a hall of fame lineup.

DaveF likes this.
  17. Brian L

Brian L Producer

If you can pull it off, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea are spectacular, DisneySea in particular. TDL is similar to WDW Magic Kingdom, but the theming of TDS is completely unique. As mentioned in the Imagineering story, WDI had almost no budget limitations when they built TDS. It is unlike any other Disney park anywhere. I was only able to spend 3 days in the parks on a family vacation to Japan, but I would go back in a heartbeat.

benbess and DaveF like this.
  18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Looks to me like Pixar In real life is a bust.

Only two eps so far and neither one has been funny even a little bit.

Also short eps only around four minutes each.

19. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I've been enjoying encore, a show where casts of musicals in high schools are reunited many years later to recreate one of their shows.

20. Brian L

Brian L Producer

I have to say that I find it pretty annoying that when the credits roll, the app immediately switches to a small screen in the lower right, while an Up Next suggestion appears. The Up Next offering does not play automatically, thankfully.

There are many films, PIXAR in particular, that often have outtakes playing while the credits roll, not to mention films with after credit scenes. I really wish there were a user toggle that could defeat that behavior. Play what I am watching until it ends or I manually escape out., thank you.

I don't binge watch, and have a deep seated hatred of any software that automatically plays or even suggests something when what I am watching or listening to ends. I actually sent feedback to D+ asking that at a minimum they make the behavior user selectable.

Now with that out of the way, I have some kids that I need to chase off of my lawn!