What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a test, I downloaded the new Dumbo movie onto my Kindle fire, since I like to watch videos on plane rides. Unfortunately, it was immediately apparent on playback that the resolution is mediocre, and visibly worse that what you get with downloads from Netflix and Amazon Prime. It looked like maybe 480, which isn't really acceptable to me at this point given the high quality alternatives. And so I don't think I'll be using the Disney+ download feature much at all.
Did you adjust your video quality for download setting? I think it is set to "standard" by default, which is the lowest quality setting. There are also "medium" and "high" settings available.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Did you adjust your video quality for download setting? I think it is set to "standard" by default, which is the lowest quality setting. There are also "medium" and "high" settings available.

MMM. I don't see any place to adjust the quality in the Kindle app.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Has anyone experienced issues with the audio on some of the films on here? A few days ago, I experienced some issues that resulted in the audio going slightly out-of-sync while watching the 1961 Babes in Toyland. Quickly pausing then restarting the movie would get the audio back in sync, though I have no idea what could have caused this.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone experienced issues with the audio on some of the films on here? A few days ago, I experienced some issues that resulted in the audio going slightly out-of-sync while watching the 1961 Babes in Toyland. Quickly pausing then restarting the movie would get the audio back in sync, though I have no idea what could have caused this.
Not seen this at all on Disney and I was relieved. I have no audio sync issues with Netflix, Disney plus or Vudu but usually get them on Amazon Prime which is why I don't watch it that much.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
You have 400 Mbps internet service? I haven't noticed much, if any, banding on D+, including The Mandalorian, with my 80 Mbps incoming pipe. It looks pretty fantastic on my setup (ATV+ 4K/LG 65" OLED), and there's a lot of 4K + Atmos content.
There is a lot of 4K programming where Atmos is listed as an option, however none of the options for viewing that are available to me transmit an Atmos signal. I'm pretty sure Apple TV is the only one where Atmos is currently implemented.

As for the banding, I don't know what to tell you. I tried all three methods and all of them definitely displayed some pretty awful banding. I didn't particularly notice it on other content on D+, but that could be because I haven't watched anything with lots of sky shots outside of Mandalorian. I don't have issues with 4K streaming on any other service that offers it. I don't know whether it's because Disney+ is just getting hammered right now and isn't sending me the best available stream or what. It's definitely distracting to me, though.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There is a lot of 4K programming where Atmos is listed as an option, however none of the options for viewing that are available to me transmit an Atmos signal. I'm pretty sure Apple TV is the only one where Atmos is currently implemented.
All I can say is that I'm getting Atmos on my Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Premiere, and Apple TV. No Atmos on Fire Stick 4K, but Disney+ support confirmed to me that Atmos is not currently supported on that device.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Instead of relying on your Vizio smart TV apps for streaming services, I would recommend getting a dedicated streaming box -- regardless of whether you decide to subscribe to Disney's service. A dedicated box will give you access to a lot more streaming apps/services, and the software will be updated on a much more regular schedule -- and for a much longer period of time -- than what you will get with a smart TV. If you only need 1080p, a Roku Express will only cost you $30. If you have a 4K display, Roku's Premiere model is only $10 more, so we are not talking a huge expense here.

I have a Vizio smart TV in our main home theater, and a Samsung smart TV in our master bedroom. However, we never use that feature on either display. Instead I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra 4K in the main home theater, and a Roku Premiere in the master bedroom. Works much better.

Well, after Disney+ had thousands of subscriber accounts hacked and sold on the Dark Web, I have no intention to sign up for their service now. Seriously. The hits to Disney just keep coming. This was reported by the BBC and gives Disney another black eye. I'm wondering if the damage to their reputation is ever going to recover. I just don't think this is the end of Disney's problems but I suspect that Disney+ may see more and more subscribers and potential subscribers walking away from their streaming service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50461171

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Nothing but click bait. Disney hasn't been hacked, this is from social engineering or people using stupidly simple passwords (or same password on multiple sites). This happens countless number of times everyday, for every online service and 99% of the time it is the user's fault.

Chris, I think it's clear you just read the words in the URL and not the actual article, because everything you just posted is exactly what the article said.

It says very clearly Disney was not hacked ("Disney says 'no security breach' of platform" is literally in the headline), but customer accounts were hacked using the very methods you described...

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, after Disney+ had thousands of subscriber accounts hacked and sold on the Dark Web, I have no intention to sign up for their service now. Seriously. The hits to Disney just keep coming. This was reported by the BBC and gives Disney another black eye. I'm wondering if the damage to their reputation is ever going to recover. I just don't think this is the end of Disney's problems but I suspect that Disney+ may see more and more subscribers and potential subscribers walking away from their streaming service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50461171

Please read your article and stop this crap.

"Disney takes the privacy and security of our users' data very seriously and there is no indication of a security breach on Disney+," a spokesman said.

The statement indicates that members' details have been stolen by other means.

That could involve spyware on users' devices or the re-use of login details stolen from elsewhere.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe we should just stop feeding into what seems to be an agenda being pushed regardless of what the facts on the ground are. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I searched for a way to pay the YEARLY fee for Disney+ and then bundle no-ads Hulu and ESPN+ with it. No joy.

So, I just signed up for a year of Disney+ for $69.99, which works out to $5.83/mo. I've still got my $11.99/mo no-ads Hulu subscription for a total equivalent of $17.82/mo. The bundle trick detailed in The Verge Article works out to $18.99/mo (for the no-ads Hulu plan). I have no significant interest in ESPN+ so I'm saving $1.17/mo by NOT doing the The Verge monthly bundle plan.

At any rate, I've been going through the catalog of offerings on Disney+ and viewing the first few minutes of some of them via my Apple TV 4K on my Sony 940E. WOW!!!! The image quality is OUTSTANDING on Disney's 4K Dolby Vision titles. I watched a little bit of the animated 'Beauty and the Beast' and it really pops! Absolutely gorgeous! Then I watched some 'Star Wars: A New Hope' and was blown away by the 4K Dolby Vision goodness! As Darth Vader would say, IMPRESSIVE!

Disney would be smart to NOT release the older Star Wars films on 4K Blu-ray. It might help keep folks locked in to Disney+.

I'll be watching the first two episodes of 'The Mandalorian' tonight. And I'm sure I'll consume a fair bit of Disney+ content over the next year. But I also expect that, in 372 days (one year subscription plus 7-day free trail), I'll have had my fill of Disney+ and probably won't renew. It will be interesting to see what Disney offers to keep folks beyond their original subscription timeframe (both monthly and yearly).

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I'm sure I'll consume a fair bit of Disney+ content over the next year. But I also expect that, in 372 days (one year subscription plus 7-day free trail), I'll have had my fill of Disney+ and probably won't renew.

I'm expecting the same for me, Mark. I got in on the three year deal. But I full expect that I won't be interested in extending things out past that.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll be watching the first two episodes of 'The Mandalorian' tonight. And I'm sure I'll consume a fair bit of Disney+ content over the next year. But I also expect that, in 372 days (one year subscription plus 7-day free trail), I'll have had my fill of Disney+ and probably won't renew. It will be interesting to see what Disney offers to keep folks beyond their original subscription timeframe (both monthly and yearly).

Mark

The Disney+ originals are what will keep you subscribed as long as subscriptions are still around $7 a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks