What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They just launched a week ago. Naturally, any technical imperfections are going to come to light. And it's not just the US they have to deal with, but other countries as well.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Here's what my current chat window looks like:
View attachment 65164
I hope I get an agent who speaks English and not Dutch....
Could have been worse. It could have just said, "Maclunkey."

My biggest beef with the service at the moment is that, out of the three ways I can access Disney+ on my home theater setup (Roku, LG app, Xbox One X) none of them currently support Atmos.

While I'm happy to see several of the classic shorts available in HD, having to select each one individually to add to the queue is borderline absurd. They really need to have them all together as "episodes" under one heading where you can just add, say, "Classic Disney Shorts" one time. That's really a nitpick, though, and not a dealbreaker.

I've also noticed some pretty low-bitrate encodes, especially on The Mandalorian, where every outside daytime scene with a lot of sky has just awful color banding. It isn't my bandwidth, since I'm using wired connections and have a steady 400Mb download speed.

I'm keeping it for now so that I can finish watching The Mandalorian, but I may get rid of it after that until such time as there is more older content on there that I haven't seen or I hear good things about a new show they offer. There are so many streaming services available (with more on the way) that I'm finding myself subscribing and unsubscribing from them once I run out of content that interests me. My budget can only take so much before it becomes worse than paying for cable.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have Disney + for 1 week Free starting today ! Star Wars 1977 looks Great in 4K ! I compared it to my Bluray. Disney + version looks even Better ! I also watched some of Darby O Gill. It's in Widescreen with black bars on the sides. It looks very nice in HD. I can't believe they dubbed Albert Sharp's voice. ?? : ( I noticed immediately. I have the DVD for years and know the sound of his voice. I put the dvd on and listened to it. Why would they do that ?? A 1959 film Disney classic. Makes No sense to me. If they Ever release it on Disney Club Bluray will they release this dubbed version ? I hope not. : (

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've also noticed some pretty low-bitrate encodes, especially on The Mandalorian, where every outside daytime scene with a lot of sky has just awful color banding. It isn't my bandwidth, since I'm using wired connections and have a steady 400Mb download speed.

You have 400 Mbps internet service? I haven't noticed much, if any, banding on D+, including The Mandalorian, with my 80 Mbps incoming pipe. It looks pretty fantastic on my setup (ATV+ 4K/LG 65" OLED), and there's a lot of 4K + Atmos content.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You have 400 Mbps internet service? I haven't noticed much, if any, banding on D+, including The Mandalorian, with my 80 Mbps incoming pipe. It looks pretty fantastic on my setup (ATV+ 4K/LG 65" OLED), and there's a lot of 4K + Atmos content.
It looked fine on my setup, too. Vizio LED 4K display. Apple TV 4K, Dolby Vision, connected wirelessly to Xfinity router, 150Mbps Internet download speed. Just for kicks I sampled a scene with some sky from episode 2 on my Roku Ultra 4K + HDR10 connected to the same setup, and that looked fine, too.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have Disney + for 1 week Free starting today ! Star Wars 1977 looks Great in 4K ! I compared it to my Bluray. Disney + version looks even Better ! I also watched some of Darby O Gill. It's in Widescreen with black bars on the sides. It looks very nice in HD. I can't believe they dubbed Albert Sharp's voice. ?? : ( I noticed immediately. I have the DVD for years and know the sound of his voice. I put the dvd on and listened to it. Why would they do that ?? A 1959 film Disney classic. Makes No sense to me. If they Ever release it on Disney Club Bluray will they release this dubbed version ? I hope not. : (

That redub was done years ago for a 1960s reissue IIRC. Didn't that version also redub the Leprechauns' Gaelic with English? I've only seen the film with the original dub.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Has anything been said about where ABC produced shows are going to stream? Will it be Hulu? I would think at least "Once Upon A Time" would be a good fit for Disney +.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some quick checking and it seems on one, including Disney, knows that devices support Atmos. Disney+ support pages doesn't list supported devices (as Netflix does for its service). And searching for articles finds the same confusion we've got.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-plus-dolby-atmos-problems/

I think it's just going to take a few weeks or months to shake out these early quirks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really wish they’d work on the interface for TV shows.

I wanted to show my wife The Mandalorean episode I had already watched. Every time I clicked it, it simply put me to the “Since you liked this, Empire Strikes Back” starts next. Eventually I realized the small black box on the right side of the screen was actually the last frame of the episode’s credits and that I had to maneuver to that, click on it, and then manually rewind the episode to rewatch it.

Don’t see how no one thought having a simple “play” button would make sense.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is good news, still shows 2022 end date tho.

upload_2019-11-18_23-9-23.png

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As a test, I downloaded the new Dumbo movie onto my Kindle fire, since I like to watch videos on plane rides. Unfortunately, it was immediately apparent on playback that the resolution is mediocre, and visibly worse that what you get with downloads from Netflix and Amazon Prime. It looked like maybe 480, which isn't really acceptable to me at this point given the high quality alternatives. And so I don't think I'll be using the Disney+ download feature much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks