1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney+ Streaming Service (Official What? No! Thread)

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by DaveF, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    They added the missing resume functionality this morning.

You can request content be added:
    https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-subscribers-can-request-films-or-movies-to-be-added

Tempest, Disney has said over and over that there is no vault. You can keep worrying about it all you want but it simply isnt a factor for anyone who is paying attention.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Thanks for the correction. I thought it had been cancelled due to lack of interest since there were a lot of fan complaints about the look of the characters in the reboot. I was also under the impression that Disney+ would only be getting a show once it completed a run on one of their other services. Star versus The Forces of Evil not being on here left me with that impression. Glad to see I was wrong on that point too, since you noted that Duck Tales has a third season coming up.

Jason_V likes this.
  3. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Welcome! Rotten Tomatoes has the new series at 100% from critics and 92% from audiences (even if that is just for S1). Their plan for the next season is to incorporate more of the Disney Afternoon properties, from what I understand.

I need to catch up with the back half of season 1 and then all of season 2!

Edwin-S likes this.
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    So after 10 hours on hold over 3 sessions this is the stupidest answer I have ever seen...

upload_2019-11-18_10-26-17.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    So even if Disney had the movies I wanted and had them uncut, they would still find a way to make them difficult to watch.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Lighten up, Francis.

Tino likes this.
  7. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Robert, actually, I haven't signed up for Disney+. Not because of Disney's current problems but rather because it's not supported as a streaming service either through Vizio or through Comcast/Xfinity. THAT, has been a major drawback for signing up for service. I have unlimited data through Xfinity Broadband but since it's doubtful either will be supporting it, was reason why I haven't signed up for it yet. There's also the speculation that Disney will be raising the price for Disney+ soon enough.

I think we're going to see Disney+ with a price increase to $9.99-$16.99 sometime in 2020. But, I'm just not all that forgiving on Disney since they are messing with the library of content they now have. The revealed new alteration of the "Han and Greedo" scene in Mos Eisley Cantina and the SNAFU regarding the aspect ratio of The Simpsons animated series. If Disney is messing around with altering the content on its streaming service that it owns, then it's simply not worth it, at this time, to sign up for Disney+.

Disney should never have messed with the aspect ratio of The Simpsons in the first place and if they wanted to change the original Star Wars film, they should have restored the "Han shot first" scene.

MatthewA likes this.
  8. Mike2001

Mike2001 Supporting Actor

Mike
    Lucas altered the Greedo-Han scene in 2012 before Disney came into the picture.

Tino and Jason_V like this.
  9. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    So the change to ANH which Lucas did (not Disney...but who cares about facts...) and the Simpsons aspect ratio...literally two titles out of all the ones they have on the service...makes it not worth it? And yes, I know there are a lot of Simpsons episodes impacted.

It's 100% your decision not to get the service. I won't ever argue that. And all the services I have are still cheaper than a terrible, useless and vapid Comcast cable package. The less Comcast I have in my life, the better.

DavidJ likes this.
  10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Pray he doesn't alter it further.

DavidJ, Brian Kidd and TravisR like this.
  11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

And Fox altered The Simpsons before Disney came into the picture. I hate that they used the cropped episodes but in Disney's defense, they're probably right to assume that most people either don't care or they want to fill their TVs.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    So why isn't the original Star Wars the original version then? The version that was there first is not what's up there now. And that's only owned by Disney, not made by them.

If that were true, their 4x3 and scope/large-format movies would be cropped to 16x9 but they are not. Let's see how long it takes them to follow up on their promise to put the 4x3 versions up.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

FXX has been airing the cropped versions for years now so it was definitely Fox that cropped the episodes. Disney just chose the episodes that they figured people would want. Fortunately, the fans let them know and they're correcting their mistake.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They made the wrong call, people complained, and they did something about it. Or at least they said they would. Time will tell.

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

So when I signed up, I did it for the one year @ ~$70 deal. I saw somewhere that there is such a thing as Disney + Hulu for ~$12 a month. Is there a way to upgrade from the annual Disney+ to an annual Disney+/Hulu for an additional ~$50? And would that be the commercial free Hulu?

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yep. Honestly, I still think it's a small minority that actually care about the AR on The Simpsons (I'm 100% in that group) but happily, Disney listened to that minority.

17. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    This is not some mind-numbingly stupid laugh track-ridden Disney Channel atrocity we are talking about, this is The Simpsons. People already complained about the crop jobs when FXX tried to pass them off on viewers.

If you think that's bad, you should see Married with Children cropped to 16x9 on WGN compared to the 4x3 originals on Hulu or DVD. Ouch!

WaltWiz1901 likes this.
  18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Instead of relying on your Vizio smart TV apps for streaming services, I would recommend getting a dedicated streaming box -- regardless of whether you decide to subscribe to Disney's service. A dedicated box will give you access to a lot more streaming apps/services, and the software will be updated on a much more regular schedule -- and for a much longer period of time -- than what you will get with a smart TV. If you only need 1080p, a Roku Express will only cost you $30. If you have a 4K display, Roku's Premiere model is only $10 more, so we are not talking a huge expense here.

I have a Vizio smart TV in our main home theater, and a Samsung smart TV in our master bedroom. However, we never use that feature on either display. Instead I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra 4K in the main home theater, and a Roku Premiere in the master bedroom. Works much better.

19. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Here's what my current chat window looks like:
    ChatWindow.
    I hope I get an agent who speaks English and not Dutch....

Sam Posten likes this.
  20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah and you have my sympathies for that.

Todd Erwin likes this.