What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Why did they cut it in the first place as 22 minutes is quite a bit to delete?
The movie was cut before it was ever released. The original running time was 117 minutes. The long pre-release version was reconstructed for the film’s 25th anniversary, and was released on laserdisc and DVD that way. By 2014 DIsney had changed their mind and decided that the original cut is the only legitimate version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The movie was cut before it was ever released. The original running time was 117 minutes. The long pre-release version was reconstructed for the film’s 25th anniversary, and was released on laserdisc and DVD that way. By 2014 DIsney had changed their mind and decided that the original cut is the only legitimate version.
Thank you for that information. I have less of a problem than I had before based on what you posted. That doesn't mean I don't want the longer version, but, now I understand the situation a little better. I have the DVD, but, not the Blu-ray.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I like that Disney+ is including special features with their content, though it would've been nice if Bedknobs and Broomsticks had the 25 or so minutes of deleted scenes included as an extra.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I need to be able to tell what I've watched last and where I am with watching a TV show for example. A continue watching section would be very helpful as well.

That does need work for sure. On the Apple TV the tv app will keep track of what you watch on most (maybe all) of the services you subscribe to. I've been watching Spin & Marty for example and when I want to pick up with the next chapter the tv app's 'Watch Now' tab has it highlighted and I'm there with one click. But that really should be built into the Disney app itself.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This service could have been easily $9.99 and still worth it it’s a steal at $7 a month, I’m sure eventually it will be more. I don’t have kids but the value with them the way kids rewatch vids. I’ll be doing a SW and MCU rewatch thru the holidays, already watched Mandalorian, black hole, lady and tramp live action. Want to see 20000 leagues and mysterious island. Going to finally watch clone wars too. Hope they get the 60’s marvel stuff too

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
This service could have been easily $9.99 and still worth it it’s a steal at $7 a month, I’m sure eventually it will be more. I don’t have kids but the value with them the way kids rewatch vids. I’ll be doing a SW and MCU rewatch thru the holidays, already watched Mandalorian, black hole, lady and tramp live action. Want to see 20000 leagues and mysterious island. Going to finally watch clone wars too. Hope they get the 60’s marvel stuff too

I’m not sure Disney owns any adaptation of Mysterious Island (the Harryhausen version is with Sony and not likely to go anywhere). Since In Search of the Castaways doesn’t seem to be on the service yet, the only other Jules Verne adaptation on there is the James Mason Journey to the Center of the Earth.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why did they cut it in the first place as 22 minutes is quite a bit to delete?

Disney got cold feet regarding anything over two hours long after the box office underperformance of The Happiest Millionaire, so they took it out on every subsequent musical over the next decade or so. This didn’t seem to stop with the change of management as the thread about Muppet Christmas Carol demonstrates.

Seriously, what a calculated slap in the face to everybody who worked so hard to put it back together again. That may not be a dealbreaker for you, but it is for me, and it sets a very bad precedent, especially when Francis Ford Coppola has been given a second chance on The Cotton Club. Why, therefore, should this film be subject to only being available in a bastardized state? Now you know where they got the idea of a prince being turned into a beast for 10 years after insulting a witch!

Last edited:

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I was tempted to subscribe to the service but after seeing all the complaints leveled against the service, I'm avoiding it like the plague. It started on the day of launch. Disney allowed people to sign up and pay for the service but when they tried to access the service, their servers crashed. Then, there were other problems: such as new edits to the original Star Wars trilogy where the "Han/Greedo Shot first" scene was altered yet again to let both of them shoot at the same time, there was problems with The Simpsons series that had the wrong aspect ratio (which Disney+ said they would fix sometime in 2020). Hello, they have the masters, or they should, so they already have the correct ratio versions of the animated series. Then, there's the recent news that was revealed that content on the Display+ service has 'expiration dates'; subscribers have posted screenshots or something of that sort, online.

It just seems like Disney has been having a string of problems lately. But, if it's true that content on Disney+ has 'expiration date' where it won't be available after certain period of time, then why subscribe to the service in the first place, especially since it's Disney's own service. Sounds like they are applying "retirement" status even to their online digital library, like they do with their home video releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was tempted to subscribe to the service but after seeing all the complaints leveled against the service, I'm avoiding it like the plague. It started on the day of launch. Disney allowed people to sign up and pay for the service but when they tried to access the service, their servers crashed. Then, there were other problems: such as new edits to the original Star Wars trilogy where the "Han/Greedo Shot first" scene was altered yet again to let both of them shoot at the same time, there was problems with The Simpsons series that had the wrong aspect ratio (which Disney+ said they would fix sometime in 2020). Hello, they have the masters, or they should, so they already have the correct ratio versions of the animated series. Then, there's the recent news that was revealed that content on the Display+ service has 'expiration dates'; subscribers have posted screenshots or something of that sort, online.

It just seems like Disney has been having a string of problems lately. But, if it's true that content on Disney+ has 'expiration date' where it won't be available after certain period of time, then why subscribe to the service in the first place, especially since it's Disney's own service. Sounds like they are applying "retirement" status even to their online digital library, like they do with their home video releases.
Oh Boy!:rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Disney got cold feet regarding anything over two hours long after the box office underperformance of The Happiest Millionaire, so they took it out on every subsequent musical over the next decade or so. This didn’t seem to stop with the change of management as the thread about Muppet Christmas Carol demonstrates.

Seriously, what a calculated slap in the face to everybody who worked so hard to put it back together again. That may not be a dealbreaker for you, but it is for me, and it sets a very bad precedent, especially when Francis Ford Coppola has been given a second chance on The Cotton Club. Why, therefore, should this film be subject to only being available in a bastardized state? Now you know where they got the idea of a prince being turned into a beast for 10 years after insulting a witch!
Have you joined Disney+?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I can't answer as to the issues over OAR, STAR WARS: A New Hope changes or "expiration" dates. Those are all personal choices one has to make as far as subscribing. As to not being able to connect to the service, I have been continually signed in from the day I signed up and have not suffered any crashes when I access the content. Others may be having a different experience but, so far, it has been pretty stable via the app for the LG that I'm using.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The short version of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is the orginal theatrical release version, so how can that be termed as a "bastardized" state. The long version sounds like it was a reconstruction that was never theatrically released, so, considering the mission statement of this site, the longer version could be interpreted as the actual "bastardized" version.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Watched "Blackbeard's Ghost" last night. I cannot remember the last time I had seen that film. Probably as a kid when "The Wonderful World of Disney" was still on TV. Peter Ustinov and Dean Jones' performances were pretty good. They seemed to play off each other well; although, it was pretty obvious that Ustinov's acting abilities were a level beyond everyone else on the show. Not a film I ever would have purchased; however, on this service, it was pretty watchable.

Also, watched some of the rebooted "Duck Tales" series. It looks like it didn't last past one season, but I really liked all the nods to the artist/writer that was responsible for some of the best content ever made with Scrooge, Donald and the nephews: Carl Barks. The nods to his comic covers and paintings of the Ducks in the show's opener and throughout the show itself was great. The one thing I didn't like was the re-working of Gyro Gearloose's character. They turned him into a bit of prick with an avaricious "mad scientist" vibe. I did like that they brought Donald Duck back into the fold for the reboot, whereas, in the original DT, he was sidelined to the Navy. I wish they hadn't brought back the 1940s animated treatment of his character as a Hothead. Barks's treatment of Donald Duck was a much better take on the character than the rebooted show's version.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell so far, there’s no “currently watching” feature on the platform, in case you leave and come back later. Unless I’m missing it, this is a basic feature that needs to be added. All other streaming services I’ve used (to my recollection) have it. (If you do happen to re-search for what you were previously watching, it will pick up from where you left off, but there needs to be a “currently watching” feature)

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell so far, there’s no “currently watching” feature on the platform. In case you leave and come back later. Unless I’m missing it, this is a basic feature that needs to be added. All other streaming services I’ve used (to my recollection) have it.

Yes. That is a fail on their part. The other fail is no visual chapter stops such as Netflix has. There is a sort of "chapter stop" with the "circular arrow" icon adjacent to the play/pause button. It lets you jump back or go forward to the beginning of a segment, but there is no way to tell exactly where you are in the film when you press it multiple times.

Edit: Oh. And the rewind is way too fast. Even at the slowest speed, you have to be fast on the play button to stop even anywhere close to where you wanted to, at least for the LG app. I don't know if it is different for things like the Roku and Apple TV boxes.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes. That is a fail on their part. The other fail is no visual chapter stops such as Netflix has. There is a sort of "chapter stop" with the "circular arrow" icon adjacent to the play/pause button. It lets you jump back or go forward to the beginning of a segment, but there is no way to tell exactly where you are in the film when you press it multiple times.

Edit: Oh. And the rewind is way too fast. Even at the slowest speed, you have to be fast on the play button to stop even anywhere close to where you wanted to, at least for the LG app. I don't know if it is different for things like the Roku and Apple TV boxes.

yeah, I mentioned in another post that the FF/Rew makes it very hard to precisely advance to a desired spot (I was also using the LG app, and there was also the issue of the smart remote point and click functionality not working). Chapter stops would help

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The short version of "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is the orginal theatrical release version, so how can that be termed as a "bastardized" state. The long version sounds like it was a reconstruction that was never theatrically released, so, considering the mission statement of this site, the longer version could be interpreted as the actual "bastardized" version.

Despite the long version being not only objectively superior by absolutely every measure of quality — Leonard Maltin noted the "clearer plot" of the restored cut which was the whole point to begin with — but also approved by the surviving people who actually made the film as being more representative of the way it always should have been in the first place? Despite Angela Lansbury and Roddy McDowall actively participating in its reconstruction by contributing ADR for lines where they couldn't find original audio, lines that would still be there had the film never been butchered in such a fashion? Despite glowing praise for the restored DVD right here at HTF all the way back in 2001? Despite a lot of condemnation of Disney for unrestoring it five years ago for no good reason other than spite? Despite most of the cut musical material being on the original soundtrack album? Despite the Sherman Brothers all but disowning the shortened versions in their book Walt's Time? The film never should have been cut, even if it meant taking the film away from Disney altogether. Should the ultra-short Apocalypse Now be the only one available? Or the 1967 version of War and Peace?

And there was at least one theatrical screening in a 35mm print at the AMPAS on September 27, 1996; the Music Magic mini-documentary about the film (they covered a lot for only 20 minutes) mentions it with a picture of Angela and Roddy with the Shermans. There was at least one other screening in LA in the early 2000s that I know of. Disney even re-copyrighted the longer cut and deposited a 35mm print to the US Copyright Office.

By that standard, Pete’s Dragon should be no shorter than 134 minutes since that length was the original, that running time has been confirmed by multiple sources, and a minute of the five minutes of footage in question was actually on a Super 8 reel sold to the public by the studio in 1977. Those cuts were made after the fact, and no video has had them, thus every single video and what is on Disney Minus right now is probably cut, too, just not as much. Based on that, why doesn't Sony just go back to the short version of Lawrence of Arabia and Warner do the same with they Judy Garland/George Cukor A Star is Born?

Have you joined Disney+?

No, and I will not as long as this sickening butchery is the only version the studio will sell. I would have otherwise. The 139-minute version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks is the only version that should have ever been allowed to exist, then or now. I never want to see any of the short versions again because they are markedly inferior. It’s pretty easy to tell what was cut once you see it, and you can’t unsee it either. Why would you want to? I don't care what came out first. I care which version makes the most sense, which is the minimum requirement for a movie, and the 139-minute version is it. The cuts didn't make it or any other musical subjected to this kind of treatment better, just shorter. Should we cut 20 minutes out of The Wizard of Oz and whittle Gone with the Wind down to 2 hours just for the sake of fairness? I would rather see the film owned by another studio or have its copyright revoked altogether than see it at their mercy any longer.

Along with Song of the South, which made all the other Disney hybrids and pretty much Disney's entire live-action legacy possible, never have I seen three mainstream movies aimed at families so deliberately, systematically, and undeservedly mistreated. Why even create art at all if it can be mutilated, suppressed, or destroyed on a whim? I will not be a party to this kind of artistic desecration. I consider all the studio's reasons for them to be little more than self-justifying excuses. The boycott continues, and anyone is welcome to join me at any time. I love what Disney was. When Disney attacks or compromises the things that made me love it in the first place, then I can no longer in good conscience continue to support any part of the company. I have tried to give the studio the benefit of the doubt when I believed they earned it. I can't anymore. This is a question of principles. It's still not too late for Disney to rediscover theirs. Then and only then will I support them again. If Bedknobs had been up there uncut that's likely the first thing I would have watched, or one of them.

And this is why I will always support physical media no matter what, whether it's film, tape, laserdisc, DVD, or Blu-ray. Eventually I'll spring for 4k, but not if the bad habits of the past are just going to be extrapolated onto a new format.

But if this is under two hours again, why did they make the new Aladdin even longer?

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Also, watched some of the rebooted "Duck Tales" series. It looks like it didn't last past one season, but I really liked all the nods to the artist/writer that was responsible for some of the best content ever made with Scrooge, Donald and the nephews: Carl Barks.

Two seasons so far, 47 total episodes. The season 2 finale aired in September 2019. It has been renewed for a third season. It looks like Season 1 and Season 2 are on the service. (The S2 finale is split into two episodes and Wiki lists is as one episode.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks