What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, after sitting "on-hold' with chat support for over 7 hours (while doing other things on my computer), I finally got through to a real live person to ask about the issues I (along with many others) have been having with Roku and Fire OS devices, only to get disconnected after she left to "do some research." :angry:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, after sitting "on-hold' with chat support for over 7 hours (while doing other things on my computer), I finally got through to a real live person to ask about the issues I (along with many others) have been having with Roku and Fire OS devices, only to get disconnected after she left to "do some research." :angry:
The last couple of days, I've been playing around with Disney+ on both Roku and ATV4K units and I prefer the latter interfacing with this service.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The last couple of days, I've been playing around with Disney+ on both Roku and ATV4K units and I prefer the latter interfacing with this service.
I agree with you, Robert. I've had no page loading or buffering issues on Apple TV, and the app just seems to run smoothly on the service. As for functionality, the Fire TV runs a distant second (although no Atmos for some reason), with the Roku coming in a close third (even though I can get 4K HDR10 and Atmos).

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The only disappointment is that although DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE" is being shown at 1.66, the color is so much better on iTunes at 1.37

Not having seen the ITunes print, I’m more concerned by the fact that Disney+ seems to be using the same redubbed print that aired on TCM a little over two years ago going by the sample I watched of the film yesterday (I’m pretty sure it was done because some of the accents were too “thick”).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Too little, too late as long as the season 3 DVDs are in print.

they aren’t going to add Song of the South. It was never released on physical media either

Yes it was, just not in the US. Nothing personal, but this misconception is one that drives me up the wall simply because it is so easy to disprove. Any US copy was probably sourced from either the UK VHS or a Japanese laserdisc. The latter was even available for rental at a now-defunct video store in Chapel Hill, NC that rented laserdiscs.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not tried using my Roku devices with the service yet. Apple TV worked well, as has my iPad. My Chrome book was cumbersome, which is why I tried the iPad (I am at my parents home in northern Michigan right now, so it's just portable devices until I get back home).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the first episode of The Imagineering Story on the creation of Disneyland, and I really liked it, even though it is somewhat like a sophisticated and very well made promo film. But as a fan of Disneyland from when I was a kid growing up in Southern California it was fascinating.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not having seen the ITunes print, I’m more concerned by the fact that Disney+ seems to be using the same redubbed print that aired on TCM a little over two years ago going by the sample I watched of the film yesterday (I’m pretty sure it was done because some of the accents were too “thick”).
Well crap. You’re absolutely right. I just compared a section of it to what is on the Movies Anywhere app. While both are 1.66:1 widescreen, the MA version has the original “thick accent” soundtrack while D+ has the re-dubbed version. Thankfully I already own the movie. But D+ needs to add the original soundtrack and give the viewer the ability to choose which one they want!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Japanese laserdisc, but still...

It was also released in Korea. Years ago, some guy bought that version for $400 on eBay. I asked him why, he said he was so caught up in the bidding, he didn't know when to stop...just that he had to have it. Glad I have my copy bought from one of those sci-fi/horror-a-thons!!!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I figured I’d sub to check out the new Star Wars shows and the 4K Star Wars streaming. It looks nice certainly better than blu ray. Only disappointment how under represented Micky Mouse is there or any classic cartoons. What’s up with that?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Only disappointment how under represented Micky Mouse is there or any classic cartoons. What’s up with that?

Mickey who?

;)

Did you see, Dave, that there is a number (admittedly, not many) Mickey cartoons if you scroll down the long list of content categories?

EDIT: It is under the "DISNEY" heading and the category is "Mickey Mouse Through the Years." There are maybe 30 shorts, features and recent TV shows listed there.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I figured I’d sub to check out the new Star Wars shows and the 4K Star Wars streaming. It looks nice certainly better than blu ray. Only disappointment how under represented Micky Mouse is there or any classic cartoons. What’s up with that?
Ok found Micky

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really would love to see THE BLACK HOLE in HD. I haven't seen it in years, and then it was probably VHS. I just remember I loved the score.

I wonder why I never got the DVD? Was it late on the scene? For some reason I thought it had never been released. I think I'll take a page from Josh S.'s playbook and stream it on Disney instead of buying it on disc.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it from iTunes and mastered it on a BD. I guess I'm just a disc whore. I'm about to go watch it for the first time in more than thirty years. Thanks for the iTunes heads up, Josh S.

I'm going to watch this tonight. Looking forward to seeing it in HD. I will decide after I watch it streaming if I want t purchase the disc.

Alan, what do you think of Disney+ ...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks