What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only thing I’d like to see at this point is easier access to my watch list. On my Rouku tv, I selected some movies to watch and didn’t see an option to go to my list

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only reason services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu ever had to remove content was because of expiring licensing deals. Disney will not have to worry about that because they own the content.

I think that’s a point that’s lost among many average consumers and even some professional media analysts. Services don’t drop things just to be trendy or to stimulate false demand. They do so because the license period expired and it wasn’t financially viable to relicense that content, either because the rightsholders aren’t making it available to them at any price, or that the asking price exceeds what the viewership numbers have revealed the content to be worth.

It would not be in Disney’s interest to, say, drop a Star Wars movie from the platform temporarily. What Disney+ can offer more than most streaming subscriptions is stability - the stability that what’s on there is staying there. That, if you’re a parent, you don’t need to worry that your kid’s favorite thing is going away. That it just works. And rotating content shatters that.

Disney has already said that when it comes to the service, the Vault is over.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To apply that logic then, which I again agree with, to other services - are we assuming that HBO Max will house the entire Warner library and Peacock Universals at all times?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To apply that logic then, which I again agree with, to other services - are we assuming that HBO Max will house the entire Warner library and Peacock Universals at all times?
Unfortunately, we're not going to get that despite our need as a consumer base that would want it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

We don’t really know yet, as those companies haven’t stated their plans on that front.

But Disney has the ability here to set a new standard that will compel other companies to match it. How long will those other services be successful at rotating if Disney makes constant access the new normal?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We don’t really know yet, as those companies haven’t stated their plans on that front.

But Disney has the ability here to set a new standard that will compel other companies to match it. How long will those other services be successful at rotating if Disney makes constant access the new normal?
Yup, that business choice would really lay down the gauntlet for all others. I hate rushing to watch some soon to be gone programming.

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
Today:

Such a good deal! Look at all that content!!

5 years from now (hard to find physical media):
$19.99 for a year's subscription
$5.99 to RENT anything prior to 2020, but NEW content still free!

10 years from now (Physical Media IMPOSSIBLE to find; and ILLEGAL to sell used online):
$39.99 for a year's subscription
$9.99-$14.99 to RENT anything prior to 2020, $4.99 to RENT New Releases, but don't worry, content between 2020-2029, still FREE!!

And me? Watching blurays with a smile on my face :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Physical Media IMPOSSIBLE to find; and ILLEGAL to sell used online

This is a ridiculous straw man argument. Courts have consistently upheld the sanctity of the first sale doctrine. It has been and will continue to remain legal to resell physical media. The advent of the Kindle didn’t make books illegal, the the decline in album sales didn’t make used vinyl illegal.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Will they have any movies/shorts in 3D that were released in 3-D? How about 3-D shorts that they use to show at their theme parks -- 3D Jambore, Magic Journey, Captain Eo, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, etc.

That trailer shows widescreen titles cropped. I hope they won't be.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love 3D but it seems extremely unlikely that Disney+ would support it. Disney doesn’t support it with physical media domestically, and has drastically reduced 3D theatrical showings. No consumer electronics manufacturer produces a 3D television set and haven’t since 2016. And 3D streaming technical capabilities have generally been less than stellar.

You’ve got the perfect storm of a studio that doesn’t support it, consumer tech companies not making it and consumers not buying into it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I doubt Family Guy will ever be on D+. It's too violent and sexual.

They will never put Family Guy there. Hulu is where it will stay for the foreseeable future. Don't expect the likes of All That Jazz, Valley of the Dolls*, or Commando there either.

The sort of stuff from the Fox library they could include that would fit into D+'s format are things like old Shirley Temple movies (which actually used to air on The Disney Channel), films like My Friend Flicka, old Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe movies, the other Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals besides Flower Drum Song, the Rex Harrison and Eddie Murphy Dr./Doctor Dolittle films, Hello, Dolly! (to tie in with Wall-E), and family-centric TV shows such as Nanny and the Professor (already on Hulu and iTunes with mediocre-at-best transfers), Mr. Belvedere (and the Clifton Webb film trilogy that spawned it), Small Wonder (which used uncredited ex-Disneyites for the special effects), or even the soon-to-sink Fresh off the Boat. Even the original Lost in Space or the original Planet of the Apes I could see them adding eventually. Most movies prior to 1968 would fit into a space where PG was the maximum rating.

*Imagine a little girl coming across that and thinking it's about Barbie and her friends in a desert, not pill-popping Broadway and Hollywood ingenues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks