What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I just tried it again on another Roku unit and it worked okay. I still prefer using it on ATV4K units.
So, this is what I am seeing in terms of both Roku and Fire TV sticks:

Roku Premiere:
4K UHD and HDR10 (reverts to HD when connected to an non-HDR capable UHD display)
Dolby Atmos (even on my non-HDR display)

Roku Streaming Stick+:
4K UHD and HDR10 (did not attempt to connect to my non-HDR capable UHD display)
Dolby Atmos

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K:
4K UHD and HDR10 (I do not have a DV-capable display to test this on, but 4K UHD did show on my non-HDR UHD display)
No Dolby Atmos (only DD+ 5.1)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Really is a shame that The Simpsons is cropped.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1194298167824650240

It's too bad TV shows don't get the same respect movies do in terms of OAR.

They do … just not from Disney.

I've seen some of the 16x9 crops of the 1980s/1990s cartoons Disney actually made, and the cropping is pretty obvious. The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh looks especially claustrophobic but much more clear and colorful than the original ABC broadcasts were capable of.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
EW reports the version of SW:ANH on Disney+ has been altered again:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/11/12/disney-new-hope-han-greedo-macklunkey/

(I see this is already being discussed in one of the multitude of SW threads, which I usually keep away from.)
Just check, it's all true. George got us one last time! At least he doesn't yell "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

Honestly, they should just cut the whole scene at this point if they are so unwilling to go back to the original. Cutting it would actually help the added Jabba scene because both scenes give the same information.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, things seem to have stabilized. I am good with all 4 installs; iPad, iPhone, AppleTV HD, AppleTV 4K.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not to start rumors or anything, but perhaps the now-proven-false rumor about cutting Dumbo was to distract from yet more changes to Star Wars?

Which reminds me, has anyone checked the running times on Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon* yet? The absence of Song of the South is just business as usual, but the passive-aggressive way the studio has treated the two 1970s hybrids irritates me to no end. Uncut versions or no deal.

*The original was 3 years old when it debuted on video in a shortened-by-a-half-hour version that moved "Candle on the Water" to the opening credits. The in-name-only remake that enabled all the subsequent ones is now 3 years old as they both fly onto Disney+.

Last edited:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Looks like no Atmos unless you have a 4K tv.

This is similar to Vudu and MA I think.

I just started up a new ATV4K, and I am getting Atmos. I bought it for that exact purpose.

I do not have a 4K TV, but I do have an Atmos capable AVR (Anthem 720) between the ATV and the TV. I did have to update the ATV to the current release before I saw the Atmos/Immersive Audio indication in the Audio/Video menus.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think it is possible that they decided not to change Dumbo because of the backlash they were getting.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think it is possible that they decided not to change Dumbo because of the backlash they were getting.

I was skeptical, but not shocked that anyone would suggest it; the only reason people believed it was because of the withdrawal of Song of the South and the post-hoc censorship of Fantasia and one or more of the late 1940s package films.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This really really needs a Resume feature.
Maybe something that shows the most recent things you watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks