What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is it just me, or does this seem bigger than just a streaming service?

There are those who think that the theatrical exhibition business is in trouble in our modern world - what's the appeal of having to leave the house to see something on someone else's linear schedule, when most other content is available at home at the touch of a button, virtually free?

Disney has a brand big enough to get people to subscribe for life on their name alone.

If the bottom falls out on theatrical exhibition, Disney will already be positioned to survive a transition to a world where the majority of media consumption is from non-linear outlets like streaming.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

There are those who think that the theatrical exhibition business is in trouble in our modern world - what's the appeal of having to leave the house to see something on someone else's linear schedule, when most other content is available at home at the touch of a button, virtually free?

Disney has a brand big enough to get people to subscribe for life on their name alone.

If the bottom falls out on theatrical exhibition, Disney will already be positioned to survive a transition to a world where the majority of media consumption is from non-linear outlets like streaming.

Haven't we been going this way for years? Home video gets digital before the physical release. New movies are made specifically for streaming services. There are direct to DVD movies that never get to a theater. Television and music pioneered this model and theatrical is just catching up. Television survived and figured out how to play in a DVR world. Music morphed from physical CD's into streaming and vinyl (and CD's are still around). Books are still on the shelf even though Kindles and Nooks and digital books are prevalent.

All the content we're going to have access to will make the monthly price of the service worth it for me. Maybe I'll even uncover something I never knew existed and be sucked into a whole new world of adventures.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

I don't think theatrical exhibition is dead just yet. At some point, people want to get out of the house, and while ticket prices are higher than they used to be, they're still a relative bargain compared to other forms of entertainment.

Also, it seems as though streaming vs. theatrical may not be an either/or proposition:
Those who attended movies in theaters more frequently also tended to consume streaming content more frequently. For every race and age demographic, average streaming hours per week was higher for respondents who visited a movie theater 9 times or more than respondents who visited a movie theater only once or twice. Moreover, respondents who visited a movie theater only once or twice in the last 12 months reported an average of 7 hours of streaming per week versus 11 hours of streaming per week for those who visited a movie theater 9 or more times...

Those who did not attend a movie in a theater in the last 12 months were more likely to report less streaming activity than those who did attend at least one movie in the same period. Of those who didn’t visit a movie theater in the last 12 months, nearly half (49%) didn’t stream any online content. Of those who did not visit a movie theater at all in the last 12 months, only 18% streamed online content for 8 or more hours per week.

https://www.slashfilm.com/streaming-vs-theaters/

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I assume all Star Wars films will be included

I keep seeing articles about how the broadcast rights currently held by TNT/TBS are affecting their usage on Disney+. But I also see mentions that ad-free streaming rights aren't part of the package.

I suppose it's possible that Episode IX could drop on Disney+ for a few months (the length of premium channel exclusivity) and then get shifted to Turner.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I keep seeing articles about how the broadcast rights currently held by TNT/TBS are affecting their usage on Disney+. But I also see mentions that ad-free streaming rights aren't part of the package.

I suppose it's possible that Episode IX could drop on Disney+ for a few months (the length of premium channel exclusivity) and then get shifted to Turner.

Any idea how long that rights agreement lasts? If I’m not mistaken, Turner networks are now owned by AT&T by them purchasing Time Warner

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
DCB432ED-F544-4B19-8EBB-C5643D8F60A5.jpeg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
$6.99/month or $69.99/year

500+ movies, 7,000+ TV shows, 25 original shows

No more Disney vault - all will be on the service.

Discounted bundle with Disney+, Hulu+, ESPN+

4K HDR where available

Downloading for offline viewing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks