What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Grabbed the phone and iPad app before I left the house this morning and set them both up on the bus. Gonna do the Apple TV app tonight. I doubt I'll stream anything at work (Tuesday is a big podcast day for me), so I'll wait for tonight for The Mandalorian.

I had no problem finding the apps and getting logged in at 4:30 am Pacific...and I was half asleep.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Quick question for those who have been able to watch the stuff on the site (I have not been able to log in yet). Yesterday’s Digital Bits article says The Sword in the Stone is on there in “4K.” Can anyone confirm if it’s a new transfer or the same horrible transfer that’s on the Blu-ray?
Yes it is:

WsEv8gyl.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching the new Lady and the Tramp now and so far I'm enjoying it. It can't top the original, of course, but it's good fun imho.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
It worked fine on my iPad, but it's completely hosed on my AppleTV HD.

It would not accept my PW, although it was 100% correct. I changed it from my iPad, then the App on the ATV hung when trying to set-up a profile. Error saying the system was unavailable. I restarted the box, and even went so far as to delete the app and reinstalled. It just does not work right now...it gets to the profile set-up, but will go no further or back. I assume there are still millions of people trying to get the system setup, and it can't handle it. My network is solid.

It does work correctly on my iPad, so I have to assume that the servers that feed the AppleTV are perhaps different than those that feed the iPad.

As an aside, when first logging in, there is a note on the screen that says to either proceed with your email, or to launch the D+ App on an iOS device. That also does not work....at present nothing happens related to logging in on the ATV when launching the D+ App on the iOS device.

No doubt that they will get it right, eventually.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was able to successfully load the Android app on my Samsung Chromebook. Since I saved my password when logging in via my Android smartphone, I was automatically logged in on the Chromebook after launching the app. Pretty cool.

I haven't tried watching anything yet on any of my devices. I just have one more device to setup -- the Roku Express in our basement recreation room / bar. I take this one with us when we go to our condo in South Carolina, as it's the easiest device to disconnect (the 24-inch display is on a swing arm mounted to the wall near our bar).

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Empire of Dreams is there in HD! Far better quality then the not so legal YouTube videos of the doc. It's still the best originally trilogy documentary IMO.

I still think "The Beginning" is the best overall documentary for any SW movie, although the one for TFA was really good as well. Speaking of those 2 docs, they are not available on Disney+ so, not all extras are on the service. I was really hoping the commentary for TFA was going to be there because it is still only available on the 3D BD, which I refuse to buy because I don't have a 3D TV anymore.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The app for LG smart TVs showed up after midnight. I decided to give the service a trial run when I saw that they were using this show as one of the launch titles: GRAVITY FALLS. I've been wanting to see that one for some time.

I downloaded the LG smart TV app and tried it. It has one problem so far. Unlike the Netflix app, it will not play ATMOS tracks or even Dolby TrueHD over ARC. I tried a couple of films that were supposed to be 4K, DV and Atmos. The films play in 4K because the DV logo pops up for a short time when you start the film, but the sound is Dolby Digital only. Someone sure dropped the ball on that one.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

Yep, kind of expected. Every launch seems to have hiccups. I find this line funny in their statement: "The consumer demand for Disney+ has exceeded our high expectations." How? You could see exactly how many people had per-ordered and had already been bragiing about the numbers interested per-launch. This should not have caught them off guard.

Anyway, I have had a number of issues as well. First, creating additional profiles is buggy right now. If you try to pick a user icon, it will error out but, you can skip that step and finish adding the profile. I could only get the icon selections to load on my Apple TV and I'm disappointed in the Star Wars choices (no Han Solo, Luke, Leia, Rey, Finn, Poe, Obi-wan, Mace, Anakin and many many more missing characters).

My biggest problem come from using a browser, FireFox specifically. The site doesn't even load all the time, when it does, the play button is missing on everything. Now, I haven't tried another browser yet, so it could be a FireFox issue.

I'm sure these issues will get worked out of the next few days, hopefully it won't take too long.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I noticed in that looooong trailer that The Black Cauldron is included. Is this the first time it’s been available anywhere In a HD format?

Too bad the bundle including Hulu is only for the ad version.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yep, kind of expected. Every launch seems to have hiccups. I find this line funny in their statement: "The consumer demand for Disney+ has exceeded our high expectations." How? You could see exactly how many people had per-ordered and had already been bragiing about the numbers interested per-launch. This should not have caught them off guard.

Anyway, I have had a number of issues as well. First, creating additional profiles is buggy right now. If you try to pick a user icon, it will error out but, you can skip that step and finish adding the profile. I could only get the icon selections to load on my Apple TV and I'm disappointed in the Star Wars choices (no Han Solo, Luke, Leia, Rey, Finn, Poe, Obi-wan, Mace, Anakin and many many more missing characters).

My biggest problem come from using a browser, FireFox specifically. The site doesn't even load all the time, when it does, the play button is missing on everything. Now, I haven't tried another browser yet, so it could be a FireFox issue.

I'm sure these issues will get worked out of the next few days, hopefully it won't take too long.

I'm using FireFox version 70.0.1. The site and player ran fine last night. Did not notice any missing buttons.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
4K movies not playing in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision on Roku!
Interestingly, my Roku Streaming Stick+ does show things like "4K Ultra HD * HRD10 * Dolby Atmos" for movies like Avengers: Age of Ultron, but my Roku Premiere shows "HD * Dolby Atmos". Both devices are 4K and HDR10 capable, although the Premiere is connected to a UHD display that was pre-HDR.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Few other interesting things I've noticed (well, to me anyway):

Avatar is not available in 4K. Only the theatrical edition is available but, the family friendly theatrical version is available under extras.

All 5 Pirates of the Caribbean movies are in 4K HDR/DV but, only "Dead Men Tell No Tales" has Atmos.

Of course, as previously mentioned all 7 Star Wars movies, plus Rogue One, are in 4K HDR/DV/Atmos. This is a huge step up of the digital version on iTunes where none of them are in 4K and, only TLJ and Solo are in 4K on Vudu. Pretty incredible that they kept this quite.

Now now for this...
On the other hand, now that Disney owns Fox, maybe they'll restore the fanfare. Not likely, but you never know.
Boy have I got a huge surprise for you (and me)! The Fox Logo & Fanfare is back! I watched the beginning of each one on my iPhone to confirm. For the first time in a digital format, all the original and prequel trilogy episodes now include the Fox Logo & Fanfare!!! So silly to be so excited about a logo but, it just feels right.

Has anyone had a chance to watch a little of TPM? I'm curious about it the most because I had always read that ti would be challenging to do a true 4K version of because the digital cameras used at the time were only 1080p. How does it look, in what I assume is just 1080p upscaled to 4K?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As a retired IT person, I can appreciate the difficult day that Disney's IT folks are having -- I have been there myself many times. It's not that surprising, considering the load their servers must be under with so many people attempting to login for the first time across multiple device types and all stream at the same time.

Hopefully they get things ironed out quickly.
I pretty much expected this, considering the wide launch (US, UK, and The Netherlands) and the huge pre-launch membership base. Things should pretty much settle down in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks