What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
That would be the safe bet, given the history. But Iger did say "The entire Disney motion picture library" will be available on the service.

It wouldn't be practical of him to point out one movie that they want to avoid. That would take the focus off of the message he's trying to get across.

What I find interesting is when Disney made the announcement that Captain Marvel would be on Disney+ and used the word "exclusive", a whole bunch of folks on the internet immediately jumped on the theory that Disney would not be releasing the movie in any physical format nor allowing digital purchases. I wanted to tell them, "no, geniuses, it's just the first movie in the post-Netflix era for Disney."

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
What I find interesting is when Disney made the announcement that Captain Marvel would be on Disney+ and used the word "exclusive", a whole bunch of folks on the internet immediately jumped on the theory that Disney would not be releasing the movie in any physical format nor allowing digital purchases. I wanted to tell them, "no, geniuses, it's just the first movie in the post-Netflix era for Disney."
We need a definition of "linear channels" from that Iger quote in the Variety article that Jake posted last year. (“It has to become the destination to watch Disney, Marvel, ‘Star Wars,’ and Pixar product,” Iger said. “That means ultimately weaning ourselves of product being available any other place except for (first-run) linear channels.”) That is - do media purchases, whether physical or digital, count as "linear channels"?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't see new major titles (ie. Star Wars, Marvel, new releases movies) not getting a physical release in lieu of streaming only. And I'm going to be super happy to subscribe later this year and add Disney + to my services. Will I watch something every day? No. But I'm that guy who searches YouTube for the Michael Eisner openings to the Wonderful World of Disney...if the service has those original movies or shorts I haven't seen in forever, plus new shows and movies, I'm in.

Will I argue and complain if the live action Lady and the Tramp doesn't get a disc release? I don't know. But something tells me it WILL get a disc release. Other high profile streaming-first productions have (Stranger Things, Handmaid's Tale, Star Trek Discovery, etc.).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't see new major titles (ie. Star Wars, Marvel, new releases movies) not getting a physical release in lieu of streaming only.
When it comes to the theatrical movies, I agree. But I think anything made specifically for the streaming service is unlikely to be released on disc.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
When it comes to the theatrical movies, I agree. But I think anything made specifically for the streaming service is unlikely to be released on disc.

I can't believe that. We'll see it in time. There is precedent for it and why would they pass up another revenue source? It may be a Disney Movie Club exclusive or something like that and it might come a year after the original release. I'm not saying everything will be on discs; they'll be choosy. But there will be a fairly large segment of the population who will not subscribe. In lieu of missing those customers, there will be releases. Heck, HBO-a premium pay channel-has been releasing their material on home video for eons.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I can't believe that. We'll see it in time. There is precedent for it and why would they pass up another revenue source?

On the other hand, there is a precedent for not releasing Marvel TV shows on physical media in the US since about 2015 or so. That includes the last three seasons of SHIELD, the second season of Agent Carter, and all of the Netflix shows. Of course, one major difference there is that those shows are produced by Marvel Television and not Marvel Studios (who will be producing the Disney+ material).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't think Netflix has released anything they own outright except for Stranger Things.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think Netflix has released anything they own outright except for Stranger Things.

Narcos, Grace and Frankie, Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt, Master of None and Orange is the New Black are all Netflix originals and on disc. I still think HBO is a good barometer since they own their programs.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Narcos, Grace and Frankie, Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt, Master of None and Orange is the New Black are all Netflix originals and on disc. I still think HBO is a good barometer since they own their programs.

House of cards all seasons are on disc also

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Does Disney + or whatever it’s going to be called have a twitter?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

House of cards all seasons are on disc also

Narcos is actually produced and owned by Gaumont International Television; Netflix merely licenses the right to stream it for an exclusive window. Once that window ends, Gaumont is free to put it out on disc or find a distributor to do so.

Grace And Frankie is produced by Skydance Television.

Orange Is The New Black is produced by Lionsgate.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Master Of None are produced by Universal Television (NBCUniversal).

House Of Cards is produced by Media Rights Capital and Sony.

The only Netflix show I'm aware of that is financed by and wholly owned by Netflix that was released on physical media is Stranger Things, which appears to have been a limited edition exclusive to Target, which means that Target probably paid extra to get Netflix to put it out for them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Accepted and understood, Josh. I'm still going to stand by the additional revenue stream for Disney will be too much to pass up in time. I can see a one year window or some such thing, but not outright abandoning the physical market.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So it is starting to sound as if Disney and every other Studio (Warner, Sony, Universal and so on) are all starting their own Streaming Services. Which means That licensing fees for services like Netflix and I tunes will increase. Perhaps to the point that Apple and Netflix and Amazon, for example will not pay them?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So it is starting to sound as if Disney and every other Studio (Warner, Sony, Universal and so on) are all starting their own Streaming Services. Which means That licensing fees for services like Netflix and I tunes will increase. Perhaps to the point that Apple and Netflix and Amazon, for example will not pay them?

In such a scnario, netflix, amazon, apple, etc ... will just produced their own shows, instead of licensing old stuff from disney, universal, sony, paramount, etc ....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always figured that's why Netflix and others are trying to develop so much original programming, so they're not at the mercy of the other studios to provide content when they all start their own streaming services.

Seems kind of dumb to me, as I don't see most households subscribing to a separate service from each studio. Disney might be able to make it, but I'm not sure about the others. I'd think they'd be better off taking the licensing fees from an established provider like Netflix, rather than all trying to start individual services.

But as with most lessons in Hollywood, they'll have to learn it the hard way.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've always figured that's why Netflix and others are trying to develop so much original programming, so they're not at the mercy of the other studios to provide content when they all start their own streaming services.

Seems kind of dumb to me, as I don't see most households subscribing to a separate service from each studio. Disney might be able to make it, but I'm not sure about the others. I'd think they'd be better off taking the licensing fees from an established provider like Netflix, rather than all trying to start individual services.

Malcolm, I agree with you. I have decided that when Disney plus launches, I’ll subscribe for a few months and probably dump Hulu and Netflix

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Corporate greed has no boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks