What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I still can't seem to get any sign up info for this which is odd since I belong to nearly everything Disney. When I go to Disney+ web page which has the countdown, the only option is keep me updated. I click that and it asks for an email but it will not allow any characters to be typed in the field. I have tried multiple times on different days.

As Tony said, I would assume you can't sign up until the service starts Nov 12th.

As for not being able to type in the field - are you by any chance running an ad blocker?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I signed up for the three-year deal this past weekend. I’ve got kids in the house and am interested in some of the planned series too. Seemed like a no-brainer.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How does this compare to what it would have cost to subscribe to The Disney Channel when it was pay-cable? Did they make you commit for three years, too? My family subscribed for over a decade until we dropped it about a year before it fell down the Zoog rabbit hole; my younger sisters seemed to like Nickelodeon better during the age of pre-SpongeBob NickToons.

Physical. No one can tamper with content once I own a physical copy.

Yep. Olivia Newton-John was right: let's get physical, physical, I wanna get physical, let's get into physical. She made a Disney TV movie in 1990 called A Mom For Christmas with Knots Landing's Doug Sheehan. Even it got a Disney Movie Club DVD. How many other Disney TV movies will get released through this service?

If they're not finally coming around and it is still just too much for them to touch, then we got a bill of no sale right here at any price; I'll pay zip for this service and I'll stick with physical media even though they keep draggin' their feet on it (and still managed to goof up The Black Hole's overture). And I have no desire to waste a second of time on a sequel to an "original" that never should have been made. Talk about a step in the wrong direction! And I bet those 70s hybrids will be cut, too. I saw their icons in the Big Wall of Titles along with a few notable live-action titles spanning the decades, some already on disc, some not. A smattering of the best-known and best-selling library titles may have sufficed a decade ago, but now I say it's not enough. Especially when they make you commit to it for three years. Give me something I can't get on disc that I actually want, then we'll talk.

I'm not surprised they're not following the Binge-Watch model for new shows; the 1990s puppet sitcom Dinosaurs warned about the dangers of it when Earl became a TV programmer and made TV so good nobody ever left the house!

There is one thing to be glad about, though: it can't be worse than Crackle, which is fine if you like endlessly buffering unskippable commercials with occasional interruptions by 227 reruns. At least its selections are alphabetized. I have big bones* to pick with Sony as well, so I'm not singling out the mouse.

*Mainly regarding how Hulu got cut episodes of Designing Women when they got Seinfeld and Married With Children uncut. Where's Julia Sugarbaker when you REALLY need someone chewed out?

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
From the blog:
The most important point the Maltins made is that they hope Disney+ will "dig deep" and make available the things many Disney fans want to see, including animated shorts, MICKEY MOUSE CLUB serials, and Leonard Maltin's introductions from the terrific Treasures From the Disney Vault limited edition DVDs.

At present it is unclear when or if this kind of programming will be available, and they emphasized that it's very important for viewers to let Disney know what they'd like to see on the service.

This is what I want! Give me the deep vault stuff - the stuff that didn't get released in the Walt Disney Treasures series! The stuff that was kicked off of the Disney Channel to make room for the 3AM Lizzie McGuire reruns! I'm not about to give Disney money to stream movies that I already own on DVD or blu-ray. As of right now, I'm not subscribing because Disney hasn't given me any reason to do so. If they ever get some deeper vault material on the service, I'll be happy to pay the seventy dollars per year. I wish Disney would remember that there are a few of us who don't care about Star Wars, Marvel, and their endless remakes. It's rather pathetic to read "the Disney Historian Buff's Guide to Disney+" and mostly find that the handful of classics that are being made available on the first day are the ones that the uber Disney buffs already have on their shelves in multiple editions already. Yawn. It seems like the vintage Disney enthusiast is always pleading on deaf ears.

J

JayJay

A friend gave me his D23 promo card for D+ so I locked in the $140 rate. Heck of a deal. Will be nice having all the classics right at my fingertips. I haven't seen many of them in many years.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A friend gave me his D23 promo card for D+ so I locked in the $140 rate. Heck of a deal. Will be nice having all the classics right at my fingertips. I haven't seen many of them in many years.

You didn’t need anything from your friend. This deal was available to everyone.

J

JayJay

Doesn't matter to me if I did or didn't.

I had the website link and code in hand and didn't have to wait on an invite or code like some did. I was locked in the day he got the card at D23.

Win win.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is what I want! Give me the deep vault stuff - the stuff that didn't get released in the Walt Disney Treasures series! The stuff that was kicked off of the Disney Channel to make room for the 3AM Lizzie McGuire reruns! I'm not about to give Disney money to stream movies that I already own on DVD or blu-ray. As of right now, I'm not subscribing because Disney hasn't given me any reason to do so. If they ever get some deeper vault material on the service, I'll be happy to pay the seventy dollars per year. I wish Disney would remember that there are a few of us who don't care about Star Wars, Marvel, and their endless remakes. It's rather pathetic to read "the Disney Historian Buff's Guide to Disney+" and mostly find that the handful of classics that are being made available on the first day are the ones that the uber Disney buffs already have on their shelves in multiple editions already. Yawn. It seems like the vintage Disney enthusiast is always pleading on deaf ears.

I'm sure it will come out eventually. They can't release them looking like trash, and they probably haven't been remastered yet while the features got preferential treatment as some of them also had been waiting awhile before their most recent HD upgrades. Still, I don't blame you for feeling frustrated. This sums up my feeling:

reactiontodisneyplus.jpg

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If you happen to be a Disney Rewards credit card holder, there are some new deals for Disney+. I received both an email and a brochure via snail-mail yesterday. Not as good at the D23 deal, though. $120/2 years. $170/3 years.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Last edited:

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
It looks like I can wait to subscribe for a few months as I'm not interested in a weekly dole out schedule for the new series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks