What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unless they do another "Premium Access."

Nope, not happening. The trades have confirmed that out is going to be included in the regular subscription price. I think Disney+ wants to use it more to entice new subscribers than to charge more to existing ones.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nope, not happening. The trades have confirmed that out is going to be included in the regular subscription price. I think Disney+ wants to use it more to entice new subscribers than to charge more to existing ones.

Makes sense. There are a lot of people who effectively got the first year of D+ for free or deeply discounted and that year will be up mid-November. Having marquee content in December will help drive renewals at a key moment.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Having marquee content in December will help drive renewals at a key moment.

Yes. I hadn't thought about the renewal deadline for one-year subscriptions approaching because my family got the three-year deal. But you are absolutely right, and that's a great point.

The Baby Yoda Show will probably run through December sometime. I expect WandaVision to follow when that ends. The one-two-three punch of those as well as Soul will be a powerful renewal incentive.

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

On Nov. 17, Disney+ introduces the "Lego Star Wars Holiday Special," which means that Disney is acknowledging that the original "Star Wars Holiday Special" exists. And yet it's still not legally available. I'm guessing it's been pirated so much that it's not worth it to stream it on Disney+...in the highest quality.

C'mon, Disney+, make the original SWHS available. Lucasfilm can't hide from it anymore.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

On Nov. 17, Disney+ introduces the "Lego Star Wars Holiday Special," which means that Disney is acknowledging that the original "Star Wars Holiday Special" exists. And yet it's still not legally available. I'm guessing it's been pirated so much that it's not worth it to stream it on Disney+...in the highest quality.

C'mon, Disney+, make the original SWHS available. Lucasfilm can't hide from it anymore.
George Lucas was definitely a packrat & kept pretty much everything but since he was less than a fan of The Holiday Special, I wonder if LFL even has a decent copy of it today. Obviously, the show is on You Tube (and the Boba Fett cartoon is on the Blu-ray) so they could even put that copy of it up on Disney + if they wanted to but I do wonder if LFL has the master tape or even a better copy of it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The quality of most stuff on Disney+ has been VERY good (I subscribed again this week after Roku added Airplay which actually allows viewing with full end credits and no Skip prompts) but the small amount of shot on standard-def video material they have looks awful. I watched The Mouseketeers at Walt Disney World (from 1977, with original commercials left in) and it was in the wrong frame rate, slightly squeezed with de-interlacing artifacts. I’d dare say the copy on YouTube with the Disney Channel bug on it looks better overall. Boy Meets World is also at a lower frame rate than it should be. It’s possible to do online video at 60 fields per second (all my recent uploads on YouTube are, with extra processing involved) but it seems very rare overall. The Star Wars Holiday Special was shot on video and if it ever goes online legitimately I hope they do it right.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'm sad to say that I only get Disney Plus when there are new episodes of The Mandalorian. I find very little else there that I have either not already seen or that interests me much. I cancel Netflix for one month and that pays for the two months I need to stream The Mandalorian, which in IMO is the greatest Star Wars live-action saga since the original movie and Empire.

I thought some of the Fox library might be on there (silly me). I really believed it was going to have way more content than I can see when I look for stuff. Not much has really changed since I streamed The Mandalorian this time last year. The Right Stuff looked good, but after four episodes I find it adding very little to the narrative that the movie or FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON hadn't already covered in a better way.

Surely I can't be the only subscriber dropping the service again once The Mandalorian is over.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Surely I can't be the only subscriber dropping the service again once The Mandalorian is over.

Same here. The Disney library doesn't interest me much, since like you I've already seen or own all of it that does. The Mandalorian is the only thing that brings me back. Same with the Disney Movie Club. Once I'd purchased what I wanted and fulfilled my obligation, there was nothing left to keep me a member, so I cancelled.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Disney's investors meeting is streaming now. There are supposed to be lots of new D+ news.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Disney is adding 18+ content in addition to the currently available 14+ content. You will have to opt in with the account password to access this content. Movies such as Shape of Water and Logan are being added.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks