What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Something to contemplate regarding the next James Bond movie...

Mulan PVOD made $270 million in 9 days, just with Disney+ subscribers.

Spectre made $200 million total.
I'm curious to see how a big movie that isn't aimed at kids or families does. I don't know if MGM is willing to take the gamble with their only franchise (and considering how much money is at stake, I don't blame them).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here we go, folks.

In the first 9 days of release, 29% of Disney+ subscribers, or 9 million people, paid $30 to watch Mulan.

That's $270million in 9 days.

Discuss...

I expected at least $200 million and I’m not surprised.

And I think other PVOD titles could do similar business, especially if theaters close again or if people just don’t warm up to the risks of going. It took Tenet a week of sneaks and two weeks of general release to basically hit ten percent of what Mulan did. And I don’t think there’s a shot Mulan would have done close to this number over the course of its entire run had it opened in theaters now.

The audience understands that these were meant to be first run theatrical movies and is willing to pay premium pricing to experience the escapism and brief sense of normalcy that they provide. I hope that this will at least settle that question.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Something to contemplate regarding the next James Bond movie...

Mulan PVOD made $270 million in 9 days, just with Disney+ subscribers.

Spectre made $200 million total.

It cost me $20 to see Spectre in a theater. I’d gladly pay $30 right now to see No Time To Die at home.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Here we go, folks.

In the first 9 days of release, 29% of Disney+ subscribers, or 9 million people, paid $30 to watch Mulan.

That's $270million in 9 days.

Discuss...

Okay, discuss....why nobody's ever buying anything ELSE on PVOD, except for the name-presold family films, the months-hyped ex-theatrical delays, and the ones that get all the promotionally singled-out studio publicity? (Like, we wouldn't know about any of the others if they didn't tell us, because we don't really give enough of a crap to look them up?)

As for 29%--which ain't a majority in anybody's neighborhood--Disney just plain old picked the wrong folks to sell to.
They'd have done better, for example, selling Artemis Fowl a month later to the NON-D+ VOD services, and selling some willing $30 ticket sales there with the outside folks, than selling to a subscription audience that wants everything free for their $6.99, and knew they were eventually going to get it with Mulan in December anyway.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To put this into a little more perspective...

What "Mulan" made in 9 days just through Disney+, the live action "The Lion King" made in 7 days in theaters.

Just think if it had been open to non-Disney+ subscribers as well.

I am fairly impressed with this.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
There is zero chance that 29% figure is correct.

We of course can't answer that one way or the other. But when you read some of the other reports this firm has put out recently, they are clearly not throwing darts to come up with their numbers...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
How could opening it up to more people able to pay $30 on top of those that already did not result in more revenue?

Ok I didn’t see the “non” in that.

I thought you were saying opening it up for everyone who has D+.
Meaning not having to pay for it if you have D+.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Smart business. After a month on D+, any subscribers who wanted it now have it. Might as well open it up to everyone else.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Have they actually given a length of time to the closure? I figured if, say, Wonder Woman actually opens at Christmas that they'll reopen for that.

No and no.

They told one of the trades (Deadline maybe?) that they will not reopen for one movie. They don't think it's worth reopening until there is a slate of new studio films that are going to come out. If Wonder Woman is the only big tentpole at Christmas, which it looks like it is, that's not going to be enough. They opened for Tenet and thought they were going to have other big releases to follow, and it wasn't enough. They need a series of films lined up.

I think it's going to be a while.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No and no.

They told one of the trades (Deadline maybe?) that they will not reopen for one movie. They don't think it's worth reopening until there is a slate of new studio films that are going to come out. If Wonder Woman is the only big tentpole at Christmas, which it looks like it is, that's not going to be enough. They opened for Tenet and thought they were going to have other big releases to follow, and it wasn't enough. They need a series of films lined up.

I think it's going to be a while.
I guess not reopening for one movie does make sense but that's deeply terrible news for movie theaters.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess not reopening for one movie does make sense but that's deeply terrible news for movie theaters.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. With the exit of Soul to Disney+, WW84 is the last tentpole left standing this year. Croods and News of the World are both Universal, which means they'll want to do their 17-day window thing and only AMC would agree to play those. I just don't see how Wonder Woman can hold onto that date much longer. It's just not viable.

But Soul will be a great way for families to end the year and a big win for Disney+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks