What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m in a somewhat unique place in this conversation because I’ve got nearly all of the classic films, plus all of the rare “Treasures” content, and it’s all been ripped and converted into a format that I can use a home theater PC to stream at full quality to myself in and out of the house.

So I don’t need Disney+ for the majority of feature content they have up, nor for most of their rarer classic stuff. And since the projection gear I watch movies on is HD, the 4K offerings that are exclusive to 4K on their site don’t hold any extra value to me.

Right now, I’m enjoying it for the original new shows and some nostalgia shows I never got on disc, and when I run out of ones I want to see, I’ll cancel until there’s something new. But any time they decide to add more stuff I want to see but don’t have, whether it’s second seasons of stuff that only got first season Treasures releases, or new Star Wars or Marvel shows, I’ll come back.

But I think you’ll see a lot of people who don’t own that content and will find it easier to pay $70 a year for all the major Disney films than to try to keep up with buying them at $25 a pop. And I would imagine that first time parents who don’t already have a Disney collection lying around will find it easier and more desirable to subscribe to D+ than to try to buy a dozen classics on disc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Disney+ originals are what will keep you subscribed as long as subscriptions are still around $7 a month.
I don't think that will be enough in my case to keep me around. I signed up for the three year deal, too, and while I liked the first two episodes of The Mandalorian, the show isn't good enough to keep me as a subscriber by itself. I subscribed mostly because there where quite a few Pixar films and a few Marvel films I had not seen (plus animated classics I haven't seen in many years) due to Disney's high prices for disc-based versions of the films. Once I have seen them, my interest in the site will be lowered.

Unless I get another deal close to the less than $4 per month I am getting now, I probably will not renew. Of course, three years is a long time, so Disney has time to change my mind.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't think that will be enough in my case to keep me around. I signed up for the three year deal, too, and while I liked the first two episodes of The Mandalorian, the show isn't good enough to keep me as a subscriber by itself.

Unless I get another deal close to the less than $4 per month I am getting now, I probably will not renew. Of course, three years is a long time, so Disney has time to change my mind.

They are still ramping up Disney+, and I think the future is bright. We are going to be enjoying three Star Wars shows, plus lots of original movies, as well as other original shows. In three years, my guess is that rates are likely to still be lower than Netflix, but maybe not by a lot. The top plan at Netflix is $16 a month now, and in three years I can imagine Disney+ going up to $12 or so. But by then I think most of us will be hooked with lots of great new content coming out every month on Disney+.

I'm also hoping Disney+ will put a lot more of the Fox library of films onto its site. They already have the 1959 Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, as well as 1965's The Sound of Music, but I think they should monetize the vast Fox library by putting lots of classic Fox dramas, Westerns, musicals, etc. from the 30s to the 2000s up on the site as well. I mean they paid c. $70 billion dollars for Fox, in part to get this library, and so why not use it for Disney+?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
They are still ramping up Disney+, and I think the future is bright. We are going to be enjoying three Star Wars shows, plus lots of original movies, as well as other original shows. In three years, my guess is that rates are likely to still be lower than Netflix, but maybe not by a lot. The top plan at Netflix is $16 a month now, and in three years I can imagine Disney+ going up to $12 or so. But by then I think most of us will be hooked with lots of great new content coming out every month on Disney+.

I'm also hoping Disney+ will put a lot more of the Fox library of films onto its site. They already have the 1959 Fox film Journey to the Center of the Earth, as well as 1965's The Sound of Music, but I think they should monetize the vast Fox library by putting lots of classic Fox dramas, Westerns, musicals, etc. from the 30s to the 2000s up on the site as well. I mean they paid c. $70 billion dollars for Fox, in part to get this library, and so why not use it for Disney+?

As I said, Disney has three years to change my mind. Since I am locked in for such a long time, I will not feel rushed to watch the things I want and can evaluate how much I actually use the service. However, using Netflix as a comparison doesn't work in my case. I have never subscribed to that service because I think it's too expensive -- same with HBO at $15 per month. The only streaming services I subscribe to are Amazon Prime at $10 per month (but I get a lot more than just video streaming for that price) and NHL.tv so I can watch my favorite hockey team -- the out of market Montreal Canadiens. The NHL service is a luxury for me, and if I ever need to trim our monthly budget, it will be the first thing to go away.

Right now I have more content to watch than I have time. So, if Disney is priced at $12 per month in three years when my current <$4 per month deal ends it will be an easy decision to cancel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they start streaming Fox classic musicals, westerns and dramas on Disney+ that might be a game changer for some of us. Particularly, if they start showing some of them in 4K/Dolby Vision with Atmos. If they do that without releasing them on disc then they got me.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is that I'm getting Atmos on my Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Premiere, and Apple TV. No Atmos on Fire Stick 4K, but Disney+ support confirmed to me that Atmos is not currently supported on that device.
Hmm. I have a Roku Ultra but no Atmos. Well, hopefully that will get fixed in an app update.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I saw that 'Sound of Music' was available and quickly clicked on it to see if it was in 4K Dolby Vision. Rats, just HD. :(

I did notice that 'Remember the Titans' is on there in 4K Dolby Vision. I'll be checking that one out as we haven't watched the film in quite some time.

Mark

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I saw that 'Sound of Music' was available and quickly clicked on it to see if it was in 4K Dolby Vision. Rats, just HD. :(

Mark

Yeah, I’ll be sticking with the Blu-ray for now (it’s essentially the same transfer anyway). Though since Disney now owns the film, I wonder if they will continue Fox’s tradition of releasing it every five years, possibly leading to a UHD release next year. I also can’t help but wonder if the other Fox-owned Rodgers and Hammerstein films will end up on the service, though I somehow doubt we’ll see Carousel on there.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I do wonder when Disney will openly discuss their plans for most of the Fox library? You've got WB through HBO Max, NBC/Universal through Peacock but, Disney has been pretty quite about the majority of Fox. Will they rebrand Hulu and add a bunch of content and have a relaunch of some kind? Will it trickle in over time without much fuss? I'd think Disney would want to make a splash of some kind to compete with HBO Max and Peacock.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I do wonder when Disney will openly discuss their plans for most of the Fox library? You've got WB through HBO Max, NBC/Universal through Peacock but, Disney has been pretty quite about the majority of Fox. Will they rebrand Hulu and add a bunch of content and have a relaunch of some kind? Will it trickle in over time without much fuss? I'd think Disney would want to make a splash of some kind to compete with HBO Max and Peacock.
I think Disney can't make too much of a movie on Hulu until they have completely bought out Comcast's stake, although they have hinted that the more mature content would be on Hulu eventually.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I thought that was pretty much announced and settled. Content that fits within the Disney+ branding will go to D+, things that don’t fit the brand for either thematic or content reasons will go to Hulu.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Yeah, I thought that was pretty much announced and settled. Content that fits within the Disney+ branding will go to D+, things that don’t fit the brand for either thematic or content reasons will go to Hulu.
Announced in a general sense but, when and what will show up on Hulu specifically? Will they have another "launch" day where they will suddenly flood Hulu with Fox content or just slowly add things here and there over time. I know, I know, they are concentrating on Disney+ for now. I'm just greedy and want my Fox favorites now!

mark-edk

Second Unit
Saw my first-ever 4k Atmos Dolby Vision movie last night with Captain Marvel. Looked and sounded great via AppleTV...and the movie was better than I thought it would be, though not in my Marvel top five. I guess now I can watch Endgame.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m going to spend the weekend binge watching the movies on my watch list. I also need to watch the imagineers documentary I’ve heard about

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
One of my Apple TV's is now giving me the dreaded "Error Code 83".

I tried to call customer service and they said the wait time was more than 60 minutes. Insane. I expected that from Moviepass, but never from a company like Disney.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
45AF5F00-5B9B-45A6-A28D-EE947025E4D4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks