What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Marvellous trailer with lots of early Disney that I particularly enjoy. Very excited for the 1940 Swiss Family Robinson which I have never seen.
Disney launches in Australia on 11/17 and I hope that we get the same selection as the US.

I guess the next discussion will be if Disney will stream the 93 minute or 108 minute version, Per Wikipedia
A version running 108 minutes (15 minutes longer than the generally available print) is also screened occasionally. Although the RKO version has not been released theatrically for decades, and no home formats from Disney were previously made commercially available, the film’s 92-minute version was briefly made available on DVD in 2010 from Turner Classic Movies, on their own "Vault Collection" DVD label, a library of "rare and forgotten" films, produced "in only small quantities and available for a limited time. A limited on-demand DVD release by Retro Flix has also been produced.

Has anybody seen the 1940 version?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I guess the next discussion will be if Disney will stream the 93 minute or 108 minute version, Per Wikipedia
A version running 108 minutes (15 minutes longer than the generally available print) is also screened occasionally. Although the RKO version has not been released theatrically for decades, and no home formats from Disney were previously made commercially available, the film’s 92-minute version was briefly made available on DVD in 2010 from Turner Classic Movies, on their own "Vault Collection" DVD label, a library of "rare and forgotten" films, produced "in only small quantities and available for a limited time. A limited on-demand DVD release by Retro Flix has also been produced.

Has anybody seen the 1940 version?
I have seen the 1940 version, but very long ago.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Hmm. I'd like to see a lot more Fox films on this list. Seems like there are very few.
EG1nHI0UEAAg34r.jpg

hey i understand that they bought the damn studio, but that re-branding is just so wrong on so many levels, more and more i miss Uncle Walt's company, and hate this conglomerate more and more daily

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s such a wonderful movie - I’m glad it’s in the hands of a studio that knows how to rebrand older material and keep it popular for generations, vs a studio that doesn’t take care of their own assets and doesn’t care to put effort into keeping their material in the public consciousness.

I’m not saying Disney’s 100% perfect or that I’m gonna love everything they do with Fox, but I feel pretty confident that they’ll take great care of that movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not sure it’s over the top.

The bottom is going to fall out for theatrical releases any day now. That entire part of the industry is in trouble and Disney’s serialized, franchised, spoilerized films are probably most responsible for theaters still being viable today.

The biggest problem the studios face in these changing times is getting people to pay for the content they consume. It’s really hard to do that at a theatrical level and even Disney’s tentpoles with 100% brand recognition and weaponized spoilers aren’t going to be immune.

Better for Disney to start making this transition now while their theatrical business still has some life and before audiences are completely overwhelmed with an explosion of new streaming choices.

Studios need to adapt and change with the times and meet each generation’s audience where it is, or they’ll either wither and die or explode spectacularly. MGM basically doesn’t exist anymore. Paramount is wasting away in front of our eyes. Sony is clinging to life in large part because they’ve allowed Disney to make their hits for them. Fox sold itself for parts. Warner is consistently missing the mark on most projects big and small. Universal seems to be doing slightly better by exploiting areas other studios have abandoned or are too timid to attempt.

This feels like the smart move from Disney. Worst case, streaming doesn’t work long term (no indications that it will fail though) and their tentpole business is currently thriving. Now is the time to take this chance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A short quote from the article in the Hollywood Reporter a few posts back:

"Disney is sparing no expense on programming, projecting a 2020 original content budget short of $1 billion. The Mandalorian is said to cost $15 million an episode, for instance...."

I was shocked by this not because it's a lot of money, but because $1 billion is so little in comparison to the standard that Netflix has set. Yes, Disney has amazing libraries of movies, but Netflix is spending something like ten times what Disney+ is spending on content....

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/netflix-content-spending-2019-15-billion-1203112090/

Disney+ is going to launch with only one big budget show, The Mandalorian, while Netflix I think has more than 20 big budget shows from various countries.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Netflix overpays in a lot of cases. Disney already has production facilities which can help limit expenses vs having to use outside vendors, and their existing relationships with a lot of the talents involved mean that they have established rates and contracts. Netflix tends to throw money at people, which is awesome for them but perhaps more than would be needed to get the job done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Netflix overpays in a lot of cases. Disney already has production facilities which can help limit expenses vs having to use outside vendors, and their existing relationships with a lot of the talents involved mean that they have established rates and contracts. Netflix tends to throw money at people, which is awesome for them but perhaps more than would be needed to get the job done.
Right, people need to consider those factors if you're going to compare the programming budgets between the two companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks