What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that’s the big question and we’ll see how it goes. Historically, HBO has always been a premium priced product - I think the $15 they charge for the app version is less than I paid through cable back in the day. So I think there may be room for HBO as an established niche to continue as such. But I agree completely the marketplace isn’t going to allow many exemptions like that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not sure that even HBO will be immune to this onslaught of new, less expensive services. They used to have a unique service with all of their quality original programming, but other services have stepped up their game in this area. Without another blockbuster like Game of Thrones or The Sopranos, I think HBO is vulnerable, too. They do not offer the same level of catalog / syndicated programming as services such as Netlflix, Amazon or Hulu to add more value to their product.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
How does everyone plan to access the service? I've got Roku's around the house on non 4K sets, but my theater set, a Samsung smart TV, does not have a Roku. Is my best bet for streaming 4K on that set going to be through the Apple app? So far, I set no mention on that app of a Disney channel and I haven't seen anyone suggest that a separate Disney+ app is going to be available for the Samsung.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How does everyone plan to access the service? I've got Roku's around the house on non 4K sets, but my theater set, a Samsung smart TV, does not have a Roku. Is my best bet for streaming 4K on that set going to be through the Apple app? So far, I set no mention on that app of a Disney channel and I haven't seen anyone suggest that a separate Disney+ app is going to be available for the Samsung.

I have an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra attached to the 4K display in the family room home theater, so I will use whichever one works best with the app. Our master bedroom 4K display has only a Roku Premiere 4K box, so that will have to do in there. I doubt I will watch it on the other three displays in the house (all with 1080p Roku Express boxes).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm kinda expecting there to be an app for the Apple TV, iPhone and iPad. When I'm home, stream through the Apple TV. At work, on my phone. And if I'm traveling, the iPad. I really can't imagine there not being an app for Apple since Disney Now has an app.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
I understand the app will be on those devices. My question boils down to will there be a Disney+ channel on the Apple app in addition to an app on the physical AppleTV device. It seems likely but I haven’t seen that stated explicitly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand the app will be on those devices. My question boils down to will there be a Disney+ channel on the Apple app in addition to an app on the physical AppleTV device. It seems likely but I haven’t seen that stated explicitly.
I can't find a link, but it was announced that you can access Disney+ on Apple TV, iOS, Android, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox One and PS4. I don't think there is anyway that there won't be an Apple app to access Disney+ on your TV or computer.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
From that article....

"But price isn’t the only way Disney+ is attempting to lure viewers over to its behemoth of a streaming service. At its D23 Expo in August, Disney revealed that its service would come standard with 4K, UHD, and High Dynamic Range streaming as well as allow for simultaneous streaming on up to four devices—features that Netflix subscribers must cough up an additional $3 to $7 to unlock."

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The first 40 minutes (out of 197) is pre-1990s content, so I guess that makes up 20% of what you can expect to see.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Marvellous trailer with lots of early Disney that I particularly enjoy. Very excited for the 1940 Swiss Family Robinson which I have never seen.
Disney launches in Australia on 11/17 and I hope that we get the same selection as the US.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marvellous trailer with lots of early Disney that I particularly enjoy. Very excited for the 1940 Swiss Family Robinson which I have never seen.
Disney launches in Australia on 11/17 and I hope that we get the same selection as the US.
That one clip caught my eye too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks