Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, all except the Disney+ Lady and the Tramp
I think that has more to do with it being a Disney+ title than any particular reluctance to release things on 4K. So far, Disney has yet to release a disc version of anything that was produced to be a Disney+ exclusive. It will be interesting to see if they do that or if they want to maintain the exclusivity on the platform.

Reactions: jayembee

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sure about that? Its listed as HD on my Roku.
Yep. It’s been 4K Dolby Vision since launch last November. Though there is something strange now happening in that not every time I access it on my Apple TV 4K streaming box it is always 4K, almost like there are two different files or something.
. A9E851B1-C8CF-42F0-A462-AC8801D84AA9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WaltWiz1901

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There’s definitely some weirdness going on with it in that sometimes when I access it it lands on a menu screen that states 4K (and plays back with HDR) and other times it lands on a screen that says HD (and plays back in SDR). Nevertheless it really was in 4K and Dolby Vision at launch and Disney may be in the process of rolling that back (why, oh why? :rolleyes: )

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I just came across this comparison video of 2013's and Disney+'s 4K Sword. The 4K grabs do look clearer and more detailed than 2013's, however the colors are darker than Golden Collection and 45th Anniversary releases. The 4K release seems to be tinted or masked in a teal filter effect as well.

Last edited:

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
When did Disney start selling 4K catalog discs? Aside from Star Wars, have there been any?
Practically ALL the Pixars are on 4K by now, and mostly the post-Tangled 21st-cty. "Third Age" Disneys.
Like the first days of Blu-ray, they're still hesitant about whether the non-CGI ink-and-paint classics would "survive" higher resolution. (All those brushstrokes!)

The animated titles are The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, right? It's not a coincidence that 3 of those 4 movies had a live action remake.
Or had detailed remastering for ultra-bigscreen IMAX re-releases.

(But, yes, it's not, since Disney seems to realize their "90's Renaissance" in reality only consisted of four films, and whatever new marketing one gets, like IMAX, 3-D, live-action or stage musical, all must get. One for all, and Four for one.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
There’s definitely some weirdness going on with it in that sometimes when I access it it lands on a menu screen that states 4K (and plays back with HDR) and other times it lands on a screen that says HD (and plays back in SDR). Nevertheless it really was in 4K and Dolby Vision at launch and Disney may be in the process of rolling that back (why, oh why? :rolleyes: )
Yup! I first tried playing it in my home office HT using my 4KATV and Premiere Roku units connected to my OLED55C9PUA and it only played in HD.

I then went down to my main HT setup with my OLED65E6P connected to another 4KATV and Premiere Roku units. It would only play in HD with the Roku unit. However, with the 4KATV, it did play 4K/Dolby Vision. I switched back to the Roku unit and it would only play in HD again, even after resetting the Roku unit. However, when I returned to the 4KATV, it wasn't in 4K/Dolby Vision, but in HD. I then restarted the 4KATV unit and it started playing again in 4K/Dolby Vision.

I then return to my home office HT OLED55C9PUA and it still would only play in HD with that Roku unit. However, after restarting my 4KATV, it did play in 4K/Dolby Vision. After trying the Roku unit again with no change, I returned to the 4KATV unit and it reverted back to HD so I ended up restarting that 4KATV unit again and it then converted back to playing 4K/Dolby Vision.

This is the kind of stuff, that the streaming companies and the hardware suppliers need to fix because if such situations are frustrating knowledgeable users such as ourselves, what do you think those that are new to streaming are going through? This is BS!

• Sad
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

RichMurphy

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich
Somehow Disney+ senses my connection and adjusts the resolution accordingly. When I moved my Roku Ultra to the one input on my Yamaha Atmos sound bar that accepts 4K (the sound bar feeds my projector), suddenly things appeared upgraded from 1080p to 4K.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The Canadian Disney+ is 4K too. This is a title I never thought to check. Watching it now and it's magnificent (and looks nothing like the 4K samples in the comparison video )

• Agreed
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So if they can work wonders with a Xerography-era title that was overshadowed at the box office by its predecessor (One Hundred and One Dalmatians) and successor (The Jungle Book), then they have nothing to worry about with the pre-1960s Golden Age animated titles or even the 1960s-1980s Silver/Bronze age ones.

It's tempting to say they made the Blu-ray look bad on purpose to force people to get a better remaster later that they can only stream and not own in physical media. But you would need proof like a public statement (no way you'll get anything beyond "everything is satisfactual" from them) or a leaked internal memo to corroborate it.

Reactions: WaltWiz1901

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If your streaming device is set to output in 4K, then your display will show everything you watch as being 2160p, since the source device is upscaling non-4K material to 4K before transmitting it.
While this is true, as the splash screen on Disney+ shows, this title is actually 4K and Dolby Vision. Looks monumentally better, and I believe a detect a patina of very fine film grain.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The animated titles are The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, right? It's not a coincidence that 3 of those 4 movies had a live action remake.
And the one that hasn't had a remake already is coming. Shooting on the new Little Mermaid was just about to get underway back in March when COVID put a stop to It for now. But they've already recorded the songs and will be ready to go again when practical. Obviously, that's not a story that can write in social distancing as will be the case with some television series next season; after all, Eric has to kiss the girl. There's a whole song about it. So they'll have to figure out how to shoot safely with the actors in close proximity to each other.

Back on the main topic, I don't think a remake automatically gets you a 4K release -- Sleeping Beauty didn't get one and it had Maleficent, twice -- but it certainly helps. I think Disney thinks that the potential audience for buying the '90s titles are higher because they are more recent.

Reactions: TravisR

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Somehow Disney+ senses my connection and adjusts the resolution accordingly. When I moved my Roku Ultra to the one input on my Yamaha Atmos sound bar that accepts 4K (the sound bar feeds my projector), suddenly things appeared upgraded from 1080p to 4K
That was true about Instant Netflix, in the early days, IIRC, back when HDTV was still a minority--
You could bring up the info data onscreen and see whether your movie was streaming in 480 or 720p, which would fluctuate and adjust accordingly, depending on bandwidth and your screen resolution.
Unless it was one of Starz's online movies, which were uniformly SD, and users kept whining that half of the movies streaming on Netflix "looked like crap".

And the one that hasn't had a remake already is coming. Shooting on the new Little Mermaid was just about to get underway back in March when COVID put a stop to It for now. But they've already recorded the songs and will be ready to go again when practical.
Partly, Mermaid dates back to Disney's first idea, that we would get "Signature" remakes by famous directors like Guy Ritchie, Tim Burton and Kenneth Branagh.
Mermaid was going to be Sophia Coppola's, and more people today remember Funny or Die's viral parody than whether a real one existed. :lol: (And reportedly was not too far from the mark....)

The other half is the reason why we "had" to have Aladdin for no apparent reason, after Beauty & Beast's success and Lion King's attempt to keep the Jon Favreau/Jungle Book train chugging:
Disney seems to realize that the "beloved 90's Disney Renaissance" only consisted of four films, before Pocahontas and Hunchback ended it with a crash, and we all took it out on Hercules. So, wherever they find one new marketing avenue for one of the Big Four--like IMAX, 3-D or stage musicals--the other three must follow, wagging their tails behind them.

Except for Mulan:LA, of course, which was Disney's attempt to find a house-icon they could use to enter the China-Mania sweepstakes. Doesn't count.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay