Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Now I am getting very concerned about The Abyss and True Lies not making it to 4K Blu-ray! These two movies where supposed to be restored and given a HD Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray release but now, who knows?
"Were supposed"? We don't know that...no one knows that. We know masters were worked on (I think), but there was never a promise they'd hit physical media. Fox had what, a decade or two, to get both onto at least Blu-ray and didn't do it. I gave up on both those titles a long, long time ago. I'd love Abyss on anything more than the old, old, old DVD Special Edition and if it happens, I'll buy it. If it doesn't? Eh, their loss, not mine.

Reactions: Peter Keller

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
James Cameron has left his pre-Titanic* career pretty much for dead, and I'm not sure bringing The Mouse into the mix will change much.

*Disney actually owns Fox's half now.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Why? 4K streams look and sound better than the best Bluray.
Better than BD isn't exactly a ringer endorsement for 4K just like better than DVD never was for 1080p, if we're only talking a little better, particularly for 4K projection that won't benefit nearly as much from HDR -- I'm not looking to go much smaller for a dedicated HT room w/ an OLED or similar.

And it's actually highly debatable whether 4K streams actually sound better than what BD can already do. 4K streams come w/ relatively low bitrate lossy audio even though many of them have Atmos, but that (Atmos) doesn't apply so much for (a whole lot of) catalog titles, which is the issue here. Meanwhile, Atmos isn't actually exclusive to the 4K format anyway though some studios seem to make that so... but primarily to promote 4K disc format (so far). BDs could easily sound equal or better than 4K streams if whichever studios didn't choose to cripple their BD releases to promote 4K.

IF I'm looking to overhaul my HT (and consider something like a JVC NX5 projector along w/ other substantial upgrades), that prospect certainly doesn't bolster my confidence in doing so... As it was, even what's been released in 4K for say the Star Wars catalog haven't exactly been stellar (putting aside the issue of revisionism), but now we're getting this news too...

I'm not saying I must have everything on discs -- I don't expect to own or watch every title that way. But that's different than not having the option at all to own/watch (a lot of) somethings on higher quality 4K discs. I'd think you would easily get that even if this doesn't apply (quite) the same to you...

Also, since we're talking Disney, they actually haven't even allowed 4K on iTunes for their own titles so far (and might also end up doing likewise at some point for Fox titles... at least those not already in 4K)... and that should matter as well if you want the best (let alone most affordable) 4K streaming me thinks...

So this issue doesn't damping your enthusiasm and I understand that. Doesn't mean that needs be the case for everyone else though...

_Man_

PS: I also get that it might turn out not to matter too much in the grand scheme of things (depending on various other factors not expounded on so far, eg. quality of catalog source in the vast majority of cases), but it still puts a damper on the prospects nonetheless...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's where I'm at. I bought a 55" QLED for my living room and have been very impressed by the 4K streams I have seen thus far. I'm sure that true 4K UHD Blu-ray titles will look even better; however, I'm having a hard enough time trying to find a UHD 4K Blu-ray player where I am, and since my HT room has a 3D Panny plasma, the priority to get a 4K UHD Blu-ray player is low. I have bought several digital 4K titles through Apple TV, and was upgraded to some in GooglePlay. It's good enough, for now.

I love physical media. I have the VK briefcase edition of Blade Runner [on DVD] as well as the 5 Disc BD set. I have the Lawrence of Arabia deluxe Blu-ray box. I've actually lost count of the number of discs I have and am running out of space. If the price is right, i find myself picking up 4K digital titles on sale. I know eventually my 3D plasma will die and I'll likely upgrade to a projector if I have the space. Either that or I'll downsize to an HMD the way things are going.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here's where I'm at. I bought a 55" QLED for my living room and have been very impressed by the 4K streams I have seen thus far. I'm sure that true 4K UHD Blu-ray titles will look even better; however, I'm having a hard enough time trying to find a UHD 4K Blu-ray player where I am, and since my HT room has a 3D Panny plasma, the priority to get a 4K UHD Blu-ray player is low. I have bought several digital 4K titles through Apple TV, and was upgraded to some in GooglePlay. It's good enough, for now.

I love physical media. I have the VK briefcase edition of Blade Runner [on DVD] as well as the 5 Disc BD set. I have the Lawrence of Arabia deluxe Blu-ray box. I've actually lost count of the number of discs I have and am running out of space. If the price is right, i find myself picking up 4K digital titles on sale. I know eventually my 3D plasma will die and I'll likely upgrade to a projector if I have the space. Either that or I'll downsize to an HMD the way things are going.
I think I might feel differently and more like you if I were still using a 60" or so display, which was actually the case several years back. Not sure if you mostly watch alone, but if I were mostly watching alone (especially if I'm single here in NYC area), I might not have moved upto FP at all or might consider downsizing some and just sit closer... and then go for an OLED instead. And in that case, space (for disc collection) would likely also be a bigger issue -- it's certainly becoming an issue (on top of the other aspects of having a large-ish collection) though moving into a good size, dedicated HT room should probably solve most of that in my case...

Still, it's likely better to have the option of 4K discs than not (all else being equal that is)... and of course, I have already moved on to FP and now looking to overhaul my setup...

This issue w/ Disney's policy on catalog titles will likely have ripple effects too, eg. my added point that they currently don't allow 4K on iTunes...

_Man_

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And we still don't know if it is actually policy. The Digital Bits issued a half-hearted retraction with a statement from Disney saying that they were evaluating 4K releases on a case by case basis, which Bill Hunt responds to with words to the effect of "of course that's what they're gonna say, but I stand by my source." Rest assured, if someone like James Cameron wants a 4K UHD BD release of one of his Fox-distributed titles, he'll get it. He persuaded them to release Alita: Battle Angel in 3D with the 4K edition after Fox hadn't released 3D titles for some time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Without wanting to sound unduly harsh, in recent years I’ve found it necessary to take Digital Bits with a grain of salt. I don’t think Bill Hunt has bad intentions but with all of the layoffs and downsizing and industry shifts, there are far fewer people working in physical media which means that there are by definition fewer available sources to get info from, and the people remaining in the home video industry aren’t driving decision making at their respective studios so I think the honest truth more often than not is just that decisions haven’t been made and the information just isn’t available.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Why? 4K streams look and sound better than the best Bluray.
Assuming, of course, that you have cable or FIOS, which large segments of the country do not. Wireless can handle (sort of) NTSC, but is buffer city on HD and you can forget UHD. I have Verizon Wireless as the only available "broadband" (no cable or FIOS here!), so I know. It's especially bad during the hours when lots of people are online -- then you gets lots of buffering on even NTSC.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember when Bill Hunt basically said rental pricing on DVD WAS happening, but thankfully it never did. There aren't even enough rental outlets left now to make that worthwhile.

• Love
Reactions: MatthewA

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And we still don't know if it is actually policy. The Digital Bits issued a half-hearted retraction with a statement from Disney saying that they were evaluating 4K releases on a case by case basis, which Bill Hunt responds to with words to the effect of "of course that's what they're gonna say, but I stand by my source." Rest assured, if someone like James Cameron wants a 4K UHD BD release of one of his Fox-distributed titles, he'll get it. He persuaded them to release Alita: Battle Angel in 3D with the 4K edition after Fox hadn't released 3D titles for some time.
Again, Bill is trying to play the "Twilight of Physical Media!" violins, to be our Leader in Troubled Times, but--after the entire Internet similarly blew up--Disney had to clarify that they weren't "Setting forth on their first step to eradicate disks from the face of the earth", but only cutting back on the lesser-known (and lesser-selling) part of their 4K strategy before wondering whether it's worth the long struggle to continue.
Bill's reaction was "Well...okay! But don't anyone dare say I was LYING, y'know!"

(Disney fans might remember Jim Hill Media's famous blowup in the 00's, when Hill went on a one-man crusade to try and warn us that Disney's purchase of Pixar and John Lasseter would "ruin" the company, and spent two years trying to doom-spin every new movie and park development as an unholy disaster that would return to bite the company in the rear once and for all.
Jim, with blindly dedicated stubbornness, continued to defend his "qualified in-house sources", which, animation insiders managed to reveal, were actually a corps of disgruntled animators on the Animator Guild blog, who were deliberately news-trolling every new studio development, hoping Disney would fire Lasseter and bring back that nice, easier to work for Jeffrey Katzenberg.
Hill was wishfully believing and reposting every single one of them but was far and away on his Charles Foster Kane mania to stand for any "heretical" gossip that his trusted sources were lying to him...)

Last edited:
  • Agreed

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Assuming, of course, that you have cable or FIOS, which large segments of the country do not. Wireless can handle (sort of) NTSC, but is buffer city on HD and you can forget UHD. I have Verizon Wireless as the only available "broadband" (no cable or FIOS here!), so I know. It's especially bad during the hours when lots of people are online -- then you gets lots of buffering on even NTSC.
I have cable (via Spectrum), but yeah, not sure how much I want to rely on it to provide the bandwidth needed to stream everything in 4K... though this issue is only w/ catalog titles so far...

Despite what some may assume, being in a major city like NYC doesn't guarantee easy availability to the needed (sustained) bandwidth.

IF I end up having to pay a lot more to get enough bandwidth, then 4K streaming isn't quite so attractive anymore anyway. Right now, I'm just paying for the base level cable svc and get ~70/6Mbps speed, which is plenty for regular uses, including HD streaming. It should theoretically be enough for 4K streaming as well (at least if limited to just 1 stream), but whether I can rely on it 24/7/365 is another story, especially since it's cable, not FiOS -- I'm not sure offhand if Verizon has finally made FiOS available to our block in the neighborhood, but they also seem to charge quite a bit more for the base package, especially after the first promo year...

_Man_

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Meanwhile, the anti-Lasseter contingent eventually got what they wanted, just not for the reasons they wanted it. Meanwhile, the post-acquisition Pixar movies have been all over the place and even somehow even managed to get overshadowed by actual Disney now and again! What was the alternative: to lose them to another studio and with them all the money they made that Disney animation proper lost on Michael J. Fox as an explorer, Roseanne as a cow, and Bob & Doug McKenzie as moose?

There was no way Jeffrey Katzenberg was going to go crawling back to Disney and answer to Michael Eisner when he could be even stevens with Steven Spielberg and David Geffen. Even Ron Miller gets more respect in the official narrative of Disney history these days, and that was before he died and once Iger made some reconciliatory fan-service gestures.

• Agreed

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wasn't pessimistic enough to think they would pull the plug altogether, nor was I optimistic enough to think they'd open the floodgates so the greatest hits and deep cuts would both start to get serious attention. But even the post-9/11 woes didn't stop Walt Disney Treasures or the sadly short-lived Vault Disney series from happening. As grateful as I am for those and disappointed by the absence of a Blu-Ray/UHD counterpart, I still can't help but wonder whether those represent some form of a "get off our backs" statement regarding their disappearance of that material from television. Fast forward to now and Mickey's 90th Anniversary got a single disc of cartoons of inconsistent picture quality. Meanwhile, Bugs Bunny and The Flintstones get big box sets for their respective 80th and 60th anniversaries.

Reactions: WaltWiz1901

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
"Were supposed"? We don't know that...no one knows that. We know masters were worked on (I think), but there was never a promise they'd hit physical media. Fox had what, a decade or two, to get both onto at least Blu-ray and didn't do it. I gave up on both those titles a long, long time ago. I'd love Abyss on anything more than the old, old, old DVD Special Edition and if it happens, I'll buy it. If it doesn't? Eh, their loss, not mine.
I know that when I was attending movie night at Fox I heard a conversation about how James Cameron was supervising the restoration for both The Abyss and True Lies for a physical release. This is what I walked away from movie night with. This was ether head of restoration or head of marketing involved in the conversation. So yes it should be getting a new restoration for physical media unless Disney decides to cut the release because of it's financial situation caused by the covid19 pandemic. I am expecting both titles to be out on blu-ray, 4K blu-ray and digital as well. The only thing that held it up was Cameron's involvement filming the new Avitars! And this was ether after a 70mm screening of The Abyss or 35mm screening of True Lies at the studio. If nether one of these films end up on 4K blu-ray I will be greatly disappointed! Will cross that bridge when we get there!

20170718_210722a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Planmeister