JoeStemme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
Been trending that way for a while. And, as more and more companies launch streaming services, it's only going to accelerate. Netflix was really the first out of the box when, by and large, they stopped releasing their movies on DVD/Blu. If you want to see a three year old Neflix film - you gotta subscribe, or else.

Sure, Netflix has allowed a ROMA or a MARRIAGE STORY to get the Criterion treatment, but, forget about the rest - even those that got theatrical releases. I assume Disney will follow that model, too -- the big blockbusters and classics may still get physical releases, but, if you don't subscribe to Disney+, soon the others will go behind a Netflix style paywall.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
So we may never see a 4k disc of-SOUND OF MUSIC---HELLO-DOLLY----CLEOPATRA---PATTON--THELMA AND LOUISE---KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.Very sad..

Reactions: Paul_Warren

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Wanted The Black Hole on Blu-ray but not thru their movie club and what really sucks is not a great transfer and no extras on it. The dvd had the trailer and a short segment on the making of the film.
None of this means a damn, Disney have never released their live action TV films from the 50s that they promised. I, and 2000+ other collectors who have signed a petition, will never buy anything else from Disney again until we see shows like Texas John Slaughter, Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone etc that they have been promising for years.

Reactions: Darby67

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So we may never see a 4k disc of-SOUND OF MUSIC---HELLO-DOLLY----CLEOPATRA---PATTON--THELMA AND LOUISE---KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.Very sad..
I loved The Sound of Music when I was a kid but I'm sick of it now (the movie at any rate; I'm not going to hold any grudges if someone sings "Do Re Mi" all of a sudden since there are other renditions). I never thought I'd say that. But I'd gladly be down for Hello, Dolly! in 4k. I have no illusions over which will sell more copies, but I know which one I want more, especially after seeing Dolly on Broadway after my grandmother's death. Patton and Cleopatra I would also pick up down the line if only it didn't mean giving The Mouse my money.*

Try the original in glorious b/w with Paul Douglas and Janet Leigh. It has more charm and less sugar than the remake. Since it's in Academy 4:3 ratio you don't have to worry about anamorphic.
And even better … no Tony Danza!**

*Darryl F. Zanuck and Walt Disney were polo buddies. I bet they never dreamed their respective studios would ever be joined at the hip.
**Seriously, even Alex Karras could answer to someone else's name! So could Nell Carter, whose proto-Gimme A Break! role in an otherwise mediocre (and apparently neutered in post-production) 1981 Fox comedy called Modern Problems as Dorita the maid is now Disney-by-Proxy.

Last edited:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm not particularly concerned about the Disney live action stuff, though I'd love TRON, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and some of the Touchstone and Bruckheimer stuff on 4K disc.

But not getting the Fox stuff on 4K disc would be a travesty. The Sound of Music, Planet of the Apes, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Patton, The French Connection, Aliens, Big Trouble in Little China, the Die Hard sequels, The Abyss, True Lies, The Last of the Mohicans, Edward Scissorhands, Speed, Heat, L.A. Confidential, The Thin Red Line, Fight Club, Cast Away, Moulin Rouge, Master and Commander, Solaris, Man on Fire, Kingdom of Heaven, Tree of Life, and many, many others all need 4K disc releases!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The best bet right now would be if a given legacy title is connected to a new film.

Planet of the Apes has another iteration in development with Wes Ball, who directed The Maze Runner films. If that actually goes forward and Disney wants to promote it, maybe we get re-releases of the previous Apes films with it. I have no insider information at all, but this seems to be something Disney would likely do. Then again, the modern Apes films 2011-17 already have 4K editions via Fox, and that might be viewed as enough. The Maleficent sequel got the first one a 4K bump, but not Sleeping Beauty.

Certainly, as already mentioned, Avatar will probably come out whenever Avatar 2 finally shows up.

I guess it all depends on Disney's future slate.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Patton
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
Flight Of The Phoenix (1965)
Cocoon 1 & 2
True Lies
The Abyss
Aliens
Titanic
Speed
Pearl Harbour
Armageddon
The Rock
Crimson Tide
Die Hard 2 & 3
The Black Hole
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
The Omen (1976)

Lots of other 1950s-1980s classic Fox library titles.

All blind buys from me if they have reasonable 4K transfers, HDR & WCG with minimal DNR. Some financial genius :rolleyes:at Disney should reconsider this decision as its a lot of money to leave on the table not offering these on 4K UHD Disc IMO! They get NOTHING whatsoever from me by leaving them on streaming or not even offering them that way as I still have the BD's!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Patton
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
Flight Of The Phoenix (1965)
Cocoon 1 & 2
True Lies
The Abyss
Aliens
Titanic
Speed
Pearl Harbour
Armageddon
The Rock
Crimson Tide
Die Hard 2 & 3
The Black Hole
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
The Omen (1976)

Lots of other 1950s-1980s classic Fox library titles.

All blind buys from me if they have reasonable 4K transfers, HDR & WCG with minimal DNR. Some financial genius :rolleyes:at Disney should reconsider this decision as its a lot of money to leave on the table not offering these on 4K UHD Disc IMO! They get NOTHING whatsoever from me by leaving them on streaming or not even offering them that way as I still have the BD's!!
Wow, you’ve never seen any of those films before? You need to get busy!

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Wow, you’ve never seen any of those films before? You need to get busy!
Yes clearly I have as per my post I already own the LOT on BD, also DVD & many on WS Laserdisc. Just making the point I would buy them again on 4K UHD physical media like so many others if they were even offered as an option!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yep, now that all the Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars movies are on UHD, the only catalog titles they'll release are ones that have a tie-in to a new theatrical feature. Everybody needs to start hoping that their favorite classic gets remade or gets a sequel so they'll give the original a 4K disc release.
Even a tie in isn't guaranteed. Dumbo 2019 was put on UHD and the original is nowhere to be seen. :/

• Sad
Reactions: MatthewA

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
No Mary Poppins in 4K either ? They are a Terrible company ! Thank God they released the Original Star Wars Trilogy in 4K ! No Fox Classics in 4K ? What a Joke. I'm Done with them.

Reactions: Sean Thompson

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Been trending that way for a while. And, as more and more companies launch streaming services, it's only going to accelerate. Netflix was really the first out of the box when, by and large, they stopped releasing their movies on DVD/Blu. If you want to see a three year old Neflix film - you gotta subscribe, or else.

Sure, Netflix has allowed a ROMA or a MARRIAGE STORY to get the Criterion treatment, but, forget about the rest - even those that got theatrical releases. I assume Disney will follow that model, too -- the big blockbusters and classics may still get physical releases, but, if you don't subscribe to Disney+, soon the others will go behind a Netflix style paywall.
Gee, I won't get the chance to buy Netflix, HBO or some other cable company's films on blu? DAMN! I was hoping to buy more cheesy films to keep my copy of Sharknado company!

• Haha
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Some financial genius :rolleyes:at Disney should reconsider this decision as its a lot of money to leave on the table not offering these on 4K UHD Disc IMO! They get NOTHING whatsoever from me by leaving them on streaming or not even offering them that way as I still have the BD's!!
From a financial perspective, I'm not sure they're wrong. We know that blu-rays of older films rarely sell more than a few thousand units. How many 4K copies are they likely to sell? Sales figures show that UHD discs account for about 10-15% of total blu-ray sales. So for a movie that might be able to sell about 10 000 copies on blu-ray, that's only 1500 4K discs. Even if a 4K scan already exists, discs have to be mastered and authored, packaged and shipped. Is it worth all the trouble and expense to sell, at best, a couple of thousand copies? Are they even making a profit at that point?

JoeStemme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
Gee, I won't get the chance to buy Netflix, HBO or some other cable company's films on blu? DAMN! I was hoping to buy more cheesy films to keep my copy of Sharknado company!
You missed the larger point - ALL of the studios are headed that way, not just Netflix.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yes clearly I have as per my post I already own the LOT on BD, also DVD & many on WS Laserdisc. Just making the point I would buy them again on 4K UHD physical media like so many others if they were even offered as an option!
Then I guess you really didn’t mean “blind buys“ which would mean you had never seen them. :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16