RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
None of this means a damn, Disney have never released their live action TV films from the 50s that they promised. I, and 2000+ other collectors who have signed a petition, will never buy anything else from Disney again until we see shows like Texas John Slaughter, Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone etc that they have been promising for years.
When LG dropped 3D, a petition to them garnered well over 20,000 signatures! Unheard of response to anything in home theater history. LG didnt care. And many 3D discs have sold more than 2000 copies. Some have sold out of 5000 copy runs. Star Wars TFA 3D garnered somewhere around 1 million bucks. At its height, some titles garnered 20% - 30% market share. None of that mattered and mfgrs decided en masse to drop it from panels in 2017.

There will still be some 4k discs of older titles released, only because it's the last time they can re-release them and say it's something new

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are the same people calling the shots back in late-1990s/early-2000s in the Disney home video division, also the exact same people who are calling the shots in 2020 in Disney's home video division?

If there has been several "regime changes" in the home video division due to layoffs, executive promotions, etc ..... over the past two decades, then I don't expect the individuals calling the shots would be exactly the same. Different final decisions being made by different people.
IIRC the new CEO, Bob Chapek, used to be head of home video. In theory, he should be sympathetic to the concerns of consumers of physical media. In practice, we will just have to find out.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Paramount releasing Friday the 13th 3D as well. If panel mfgrs didnt arbitrarily drop it, sales of 3D discs would be at least equal to 4k, perhaps even stronger. Instead, we went backwards.
I agree with RJ992. 3D related threads are alive and well in forums where serious members still thrive, despite industry influence. They are consistently visited by newcomers who have experienced how good 3D can raise levels of involvement.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC the new CEO, Bob Chapek, used to be head of home video. In theory, he should be sympathetic to the concerns of consumers of physical media. In practice, we will just have to find out.
It doesn't matter much if Chapek only saw his tenure in the home video division, as a "stepping stone" up the corporate ladder with very little to no intrinsic interest in home video.

Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "home video division" at a large major movie company, isn't much more than a "dumping ground" for has-been executives and/or "almost retired" employees who they don't want to fire immediately (for whatever reasons).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
While it may for some on this forum, home video no longer equals physical media.

Reactions: TravisR

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I agree with RJ992. 3D related threads are alive and well in forums where serious members still thrive, despite industry influence. They are consistently visited by newcomers who have experienced how good 3D can raise levels of involvement.
What do you mean by industry influence? From what I know, the industry doesn't interact with the forums like they did back in the day so I'm not so sure there is much influence going on. Today, they mainly communicate with us through social media.

TallPaulInKy

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Funny its in perfectly acceptable 1.85:1 HD on D+.
Yes that's the transfer that was issued on disk in Europe. The US release is a washed out version at 1.33:1. It's live action but considered a kiddie movie, so Disney apparently has not considered it worthy of a wide screen US release..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS