What's new

UHD Disney stopped 4K/UHD releases for most Catalog Titles? (1 Viewer)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
None of this means a damn, Disney have never released their live action TV films from the 50s that they promised. I, and 2000+ other collectors who have signed a petition, will never buy anything else from Disney again until we see shows like Texas John Slaughter, Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone etc that they have been promising for years.

When LG dropped 3D, a petition to them garnered well over 20,000 signatures! Unheard of response to anything in home theater history. LG didnt care. And many 3D discs have sold more than 2000 copies. Some have sold out of 5000 copy runs. Star Wars TFA 3D garnered somewhere around 1 million bucks. At its height, some titles garnered 20% - 30% market share. None of that mattered and mfgrs decided en masse to drop it from panels in 2017.

There will still be some 4k discs of older titles released, only because it's the last time they can re-release them and say it's something new

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Are the same people calling the shots back in late-1990s/early-2000s in the Disney home video division, also the exact same people who are calling the shots in 2020 in Disney's home video division?

If there has been several "regime changes" in the home video division due to layoffs, executive promotions, etc ..... over the past two decades, then I don't expect the individuals calling the shots would be exactly the same. Different final decisions being made by different people.

IIRC the new CEO, Bob Chapek, used to be head of home video. In theory, he should be sympathetic to the concerns of consumers of physical media. In practice, we will just have to find out.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Paramount releasing Friday the 13th 3D as well. If panel mfgrs didnt arbitrarily drop it, sales of 3D discs would be at least equal to 4k, perhaps even stronger. Instead, we went backwards.
I agree with RJ992. 3D related threads are alive and well in forums where serious members still thrive, despite industry influence. They are consistently visited by newcomers who have experienced how good 3D can raise levels of involvement.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC the new CEO, Bob Chapek, used to be head of home video. In theory, he should be sympathetic to the concerns of consumers of physical media. In practice, we will just have to find out.

It doesn't matter much if Chapek only saw his tenure in the home video division, as a "stepping stone" up the corporate ladder with very little to no intrinsic interest in home video.

Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "home video division" at a large major movie company, isn't much more than a "dumping ground" for has-been executives and/or "almost retired" employees who they don't want to fire immediately (for whatever reasons).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with RJ992. 3D related threads are alive and well in forums where serious members still thrive, despite industry influence. They are consistently visited by newcomers who have experienced how good 3D can raise levels of involvement.
What do you mean by industry influence? From what I know, the industry doesn't interact with the forums like they did back in the day so I'm not so sure there is much influence going on. Today, they mainly communicate with us through social media.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Funny its in perfectly acceptable 1.85:1 HD on D+.

Yes that's the transfer that was issued on disk in Europe. The US release is a washed out version at 1.33:1. It's live action but considered a kiddie movie, so Disney apparently has not considered it worthy of a wide screen US release..

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I agree. There’s a consumer bias against 3D that doesn’t exist against 4K. While a lot of people don’t care about 4K, nobody actively dislikes it the way some people do with 3D.

4k doesn't require special glasses. And why doesn't Apple get any flak for fomenting anti-disc sentiments? Their Blu-ray support was lackluster at best, and you can forget ever playing a UHD disc on a Macbook.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
When LG dropped 3D, a petition to them garnered well over 20,000 signatures! Unheard of response to anything in home theater history. LG didnt care.
It's my understanding that most of the modern large screen televisions sold, support 3D the manufacturers don't advertise the fact as they don't want to confuse the general buyers , plus they save a few dollars by not including 3D glasses.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When LG dropped 3D, a petition to them garnered well over 20,000 signatures! Unheard of response to anything in home theater history. LG didnt care. And many 3D discs have sold more than 2000 copies. Some have sold out of 5000 copy runs. Star Wars TFA 3D garnered somewhere around 1 million bucks. At its height, some titles garnered 20% - 30% market share. None of that mattered and mfgrs decided en masse to drop it from panels in 2017.

There will still be some 4k discs of older titles released, only because it's the last time they can re-release them and say it's something new

20000 on an online petition? That's about 0.01% of what would be needed to even get the attention or the dept that considers bringing it to the committee that decides whether to put it on the agenda for the next preplanning discussion committee.

OTOH, I've yet to see an online petition even get more than a chuckle out of a corporation and most of the time they have no idea a petition remotely exists. 1 handwritten letter or phone call gets more attention than an online petition with 20M mostly fake or redundant signatures

It's my understanding that most of the modern large screen televisions sold, support 3D the manufacturers don't advertise the fact as they don't want to confuse the general buyers , plus they save a few dollars by not including 3D glasses.

Fairly unlikely. I've heard a similar thing on various sites including secret menus and USB keys that could enable it.
So far not a single user I'm aware of has found a way to actually activate such a hidden attribute and surely if it was that easy, some 3rd Party would be 'activating' it and selling it for a 300-400% markup on the internet

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
They leave out the polarizing screen layer in order to achieve more brightness, at least on OLED TVs. Don’t know how you’d activate that after the fact.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IMHO, you can probably always try going FP and be more immersed (w/ a much bigger image) if you're serious about 3D -- probably do both OLED and FP if you must have the best of both worlds and use each according to its strengths.

Seems like most worthwhile PJs (even very affordable, entry level ones) can do 3D and do so immersively.

Honestly, I don't see any appeal at all in a small 3D image for HT purposes, glasses or no. IF it's not going to be immersive (like in a well run theater w/ large enough view), doesn't seem worth bothering as that seems the biggest benefit and main point of 3D. Of course, there are some specific uses of 3D (and 4D, etc) that might not always need a large screen like in some amusement park rides and interactive experiences, but that's probably not what we're (mainly) talking about though...

_Man_

Last edited:

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
20000 on an online petition? That's about 0.01% of what would be needed to even get the attention or the dept that considers bringing it to the committee that decides whether to put it on the agenda for the next preplanning discussion committee.

OTOH, I've yet to see an online petition even get more than a chuckle out of a corporation and most of the time they have no idea a petition remotely exists. 1 handwritten letter or phone call gets more attention than an online petition with 20M mostly fake or redundant signatures

Fairly unlikely. I've heard a similar thing on various sites including secret menus and USB keys that could enable it.
So far not a single user I'm aware of has found a way to actually activate such a hidden attribute and surely if it was that easy, some 3rd Party would be 'activating' it and selling it for a 300-400% markup on the internet
The point is that it was the largest response to any home video issue prior. If Dolby VIsion or Atmos disappeared tomorrow, it wouldnt get that response. Which you characterize as redundant or fake. Guess you also think...oh never mind.

I do agree that handwritten carries note weight than online. They got plenty of those too. Thousands as I recall.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m sorry but I believe @David Norman is correct. Online petitions carry no weight with corporations when it comes to product development and such. 20,000 signatures is unfortunately minuscule in the context of millions of televisions sold each year, and consumer electronics firms as a generally trend are abandoning niche industries.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Annual TV sales per year -- 250,000,000 worldwide

20000 worldwide with no commitment to follow through on a random online petition is about 1% of some of the bigger petition campaigns and those have routinely been ignored by the 'offending' company. Since I know many online people who said they signed it multiple times each (some said they did so several dozen times) 20000 which might not even be 5000 people isn't even a flower bucket worth of water in a 1000000 acre wildfire regardless of how it compares to prior Home Video petitions.

If it had been 2M signatures on an actual petition and delivered to a VP at a TV Monitor producer with confirmed addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and an enforceable commitment for purchase MIGHT have gotten a seat at the discussion table.

50000 with an accompanying non refundable $3000/ea payment deposit for a future 3D set might have at least gotten an answer

But of course -- it's all just my opinion of how the world of business works

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
All missing the point. I've seen LG respond to an online petition with a little over just 2000 signs regarding some issue. No one accused those 2K sigs of being fake. But over 20,000 is nothing? As I said, it's the biggest response to any A/V issue ever. 20K is also just a representation of many thousands more ( like myself) who dont know of or bother with petitions (Some dont even know 3D is no longer available on panels.) Theyve never had a protest of that size over anything before.

So if 2000 signatures get some action from LG, that's bogus? Because they're fake and are actually 500 people? Ohh-kay. Even if over 20,000 = 5,000 due to your anecdotal remark, if each valid one represents 100 people who dont write or sign, thats over half a million people.
As I said, let them drop Atmos and see how many would sign a petition in protest. Wouldn't even reach 5000 "fake" sigs.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This thread is going off topic, but as long as we're talking about 3D and Disney- I guarantee that if Disney Plus had all of its 3D titles available that way at no extra charge, there would be a LOT more interest in the technology. Disney's 3D discs were mostly overpriced. If you want to say physical media is dead, 3D streaming was always done half-assed and overpriced to boot. You can still get 3D titles on Vudu but many of those cost around $30 to purchase, not all can be rented at all- and the devices that support 3D on Vudu have always been very limited; not all 3D-enabled displays could access them through their Vudu apps. Netflix had a small number of minor 3D titles for a while, but hardware support for that was also nearly non-existent (nothing I ever had could access it), and they eventually dropped it due to "lack of interest".

Make A-list 3D titles available through streaming with widespread hardware support and no price-gouging, and then see if the public still doesn't want it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
*scans for services currently providing 3D content* Oh! Shudder has Found Footage 3D in SBS, which is compatible with nearly every 3D TV/projector out there. Other than that, crickets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks