What's new

DISNEY: Song of the South (or explanation why rights can not be sold) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A Few Historic Facts About SONG OF THE SOUTH:

- Released in 1946, I believe this was Disney's first post World War 2 Feature, with the previous few years having been largely restricted to producing instructional films for the U.S. Military and other propoganda pieces. SONG OF THE SOUTH must have been a huge breath of fresh air for 1946 Theater Goers who would have been wearied by the necessary restrictions imposed by the effects of a world at war, and the monumental efforts of helping to put that war to an end!

- This was Disney's first largely live action Feature, with some animation mixed in, along with a few fully animated sequences! I can't help but wonder whether the ANCHORS AWEIGH pairing of Gene Kelly and Jerry the Mouse (Used ironically, because Walt Disney wouldn't grant MGM permission to use Mickey!) served as some inspiration?

- SONG OF THE SOUTH was probably famed child actor Bobby Driscoll's most notable live action Film appearance. In an ironic twist, it is his voice of the title character in the much more accessable 1953 Disney animated classic PETER PAN, for which Bobby Driscoll is probably best remembered today!

- In another ironic twist, this Film's signature song, ZIP-A-DEE-DOO-DAH is one of Disney's most famous and instantly recognizable tunes. Some might argue that it's actually their signature piece! If only we could have access to the Feature from which it originally derived!

- SONG OF THE SOUTH's 70th Anniversary will soon be upon us! If only there could be a timely Blu-ray/DVD combo of this much beloved (At least, once upon a time, when it could actually be seen!) Disney classic in 2016!

As it must have been back in 1946, I believe that SONG OF THE SOUTH could be a huge breath of fresh air today, if only it were given the chance to breathe!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks