What's new

DISNEY: Song of the South (or explanation why rights can not be sold) (1 Viewer)

I know that there are some PC reasons why this film has been hidden for so long, but please tell us if consideration is being given to putting this on DVD, or if (at very least) the rights could be sold (to a company like Anchor Bay)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It is because of those PC reasons that I seriously doubt Disney will ever allow this one out of the vault again or sell it to someone else.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Disney, please release Song Of The South onto DVD or sell the rights to someone else. Even though this movie is considered racist by certain people, Disney, you need to release this movie on DVD. Song Of The South is part of movie history.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, the only people who consider it racist are the people who run Disney.

I guarantee that if Disney re-released the film with taglines like "Featuring Academy Award winners James Baskett and Hattie MacDaniel" it wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be a problem, period.

Besides, if Birth of a Nation can be on video without problems (and Birth caused more problems upon original release than Song of the South EVER did), why not Song?

I'll be there to support Disney if any resistance comes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do what I'm going to do:

The second another region version is available, send them a photo of your holding it and giving them the finger with the caption "I got it anyway"

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It's all about money. Right now, Disney figures the supposed negative reaction would cost them. At some point they'll figure out that they'll make money from it, and then they'll release it. I have every belief that will happen some day.

On the other hand, it's all about money, which is why It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World isn't being saved and restored, and therefore by the time they figure out they'd make money on that, it won't exist. :frowning:

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Interesting how they won't release the movie, but in the past decade built a theme park attraction (Splash Mountain) based on it.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
This PC stuff with Disney is such garbage. Get off your high horse. Disney won't release "Song of the South" because it is offensive to whom? I've never heard anyone complain about the stereotypes. Expect maybe Bill Cosby who bought up all the little rascal shorts becuase he didn't like the way Buckwheat was protrayed, (Of course Eddie Murphy had no problem with it on Saturday Night Live)
Does he fail to find offense in the characterizations of Spanky and Alfafa?

To make matters worse, Disney then irresponisblily re-writes history in their TV films.

Having an interacial romance between "Daddy Warbucks and his secretary" in "Annie" set in 1932 if more offesive to the nation then holding back "Song of the South" Even in their recent "The Music Man" they represented a high class African American community intergrated into a story set in 1910 in an extremely up-tight town of Iowa. Talk about bending the truth. Tell it as it was, or leave it out. Has Disney ever watched "American Dreams" on rival station NBC? The show tells it like it was and it is set in the 1960's.

Disney doesn't have to exploit history. They should be comdemned for re-writing it, especially when aiming these films at young viewers. If they want to intergrate fine, just set the story in the present day where few people would blink an eye.

Can't wait for the Asian American version of "Porgy and Bess"

As an Italian-American you won't hear me mouthing off about our representation in films like "The Godfather" "Goodfellows" or the "Sopranos" After all, we know ALL Italians are connected.

Quote:
Around 1989, the rumor began circulating that entertainer Bill Cosby had bought up the rights to the The Little Rascals episodes for the express purpose of keeping them off of television because of their demeaning portrayal of blacks. This rumor has nothing to it, of course: King World Productions has owned and licensed the rights to The Little Rascals for over thirty years. The series has been syndicated to television many times and the video rights to some episodes were licensed to Cabin Fever Entertainment in 1997, but Bill Cosby has never owned any part of the rights to The Little Rascals.

I stand corrected -I had heard this back in the late 80's and like many others believed it was true.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Porgy and Bess is also a movie that needs to be restored and sold on DVD. I understand that the Gershwin estate would like to see the movie actually destroyed.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
and VHS in Europe ...
.. which I own and of which I sent another off once to an American pen friend (when it was still available).

No, in my honest opinion no part is to be offensive to African Americans, or whoever else (except, perhaps, an occasional bear). And although the situations back then certainly weren't correct, the movie is. I loved the stories when I was a kid, I was glad to be able to buy the movie on tape and my children loved it when we watched it.
However, if someone feels offended by it - that's his or her right, of course.

Also, in the movie is a thing, which I'm not going to mention here, because the word seems to be connected to a foul abusive word in some areas of the US. Unfortunately I cannot say anything clever about this, because I'm not familiar with such a use of the word in the least, I only learned this a few years ago. Note however, that this "trap-for-Brer-Rabbit" thing isn't used at all in that or any disgusting meaning in SotS, but only in a self-explanatory, logical and quite different way.

Cees

There is absolutely no reason why Disney should not release "Song of the South" on DVD, especially in Special Edition format. A "Making of" documentary, maybe some cut scenes (if they even still exist), and any other additions worth putting in. This is a classic film with some great music and funny moments. The "thing" Cees Alons refers to is the "Tar Baby" scene. Yes, this was a nasty slang from that time period, but no one uses it today. Most folks probably wouldn't even think about it while watching the film now. The movie is somewhat accurate in its portrayal of the Black Americans of the time period in plantation lifestyles. Disney would never get totally truthful, of course. That's not their style and never will be. The company put their money on the line with the DVD and video release of The Black Cauldron. It wasn't all that great years ago in the theaters and still isn't on video, even though the film is their first venture into a darker, more adult, animation adventure. They are finally do that again no with new films. So what is Disney going to lose on releasing a DVD of SotS? Nothing.

On a different note, thanks to Greg_M for telling me about Bill Cosby buying up all the Little Rascal episodes due to his dislike of Buckwheat's role in the series. This is a very stupid thing for him to do. The series is a classic and Buckwheat had one of the best roles. He wasn't portrayed any different than any other Black American in the movies of those years. So, is Cosby going to buy all the films that portray blacks in a stereotype role? I doubt it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Where are the facts backing this up as the truth of the matter when it comes to Cosby buying up the Little Rascals shorts?

It's quite funny hearing others question people about being offended when they weren't part of the racial group that was offended in the first place.

Crawdaddy

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If Song of the South is so blatantly racist, then why is Birth of a Nation (which is so obviously racist it turns stomachs even to this day) out on DVD with no protests?

Why is Gone With the Wind out on DVD in a restored format (they have far more stereotypical depictions of blacks in that film and it's considered a time honored Hollywood gem)?

Why are you the only studio that can't seem to get it?

If uncensored cartoon shorts are being released under the Walt Disney Treasures label, why can't a restored Song of the South be released on that series as well?

Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I wouldn't comment if I didn't see it which I've done 2-3 times during a couple of it's theatrical rereleases.

By the way, I don't agree with Disney's decision not to release it nor with those that don't want it released, however, I understand and respect both points of view which is what I'm trying to convey in my comments.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks