What's new

Disney seems more bullish than ever on BD (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
What if ten years ago there were two competing formats for DVD (not including DIVX), one that only had DVD-5 finalized in the specs (and for sake of argument, no way of ever supporting DVD-9, while the other format did include support for DVD-9 (dual-layer).

Now let’s say that upon release, only DVD-5 discs were being pressed. One could have argued that what's the point in spending more for a format that currently only provides the same level of capacity as the other. Obviously, history has shown that dual-layer DVDs have been a necessary component for higher quality releases without splitting a film onto two discs.

History has also shown that given more capacity and more bandwidth, software designers will find a way to use it all up in order to make products that are better or more appealing to consumers in order to gain more market share.

I do not see why the same will not be true for Blu-ray.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Nils,

please stop posting such sensible and reasonable points. Let's try to keep these discussions arbitrarily polorized and stick to unlikely extremes.

:D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In the late seventies, I was very strongly and enthusiastically in favour of -- not Betamax - but a system called V2000. Developed by Philips.

It was the most advanced, absolutely best of the three competing formats (the two others being Betamax and VHS). The Philips system even dealt with a very common problem that plagued tape play-back (and continued to do so later): the positioning of the tape reading head in relation to the recorded track; it automatically corrected that position (Dynamic Track Following). It allowed for functions never to be seen on Betamax or VHS, like doing a proper picture search and it had a separate datatrack.

The rest is history, unfortunately. It died for good in 1988.

Cees

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm not suggesting that Blu-ray *will* succeed because it's a better format.

I'm saying that it *ought to* succeed, as it would better serve the videophiles and the films that they love.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully you'll still feel the same way after you read my comments about your 14" monitor. :D

BTW: I like the new & improved Advocate mantra in your sig! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks