What's new

Disney screws up "Dalmatians" 2-Pack; what do I do? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amidst Disney's new direct-to-video animated 101 Dalmatians sequel, I've been thinking of finally upgrading my VHS of the live-action original to DVD. (I figure that it will be on sale to cross-promote the animated sequel.) I would get the animated original first like a shot, but it's harder to find and won't be redone until 2010. But, anyway...
Lo and behold, the DVD release of the live-action "101 Dalmatians" is only available in the two-pack that coulples it with the 2000 follow-up "102 Dalmatians." While I was underimpressed by "102," it does not tarnish the original and I'd be glad to own it, if only for completion. However, some dope screwed up. See if you can get the point of this marketing strategy. The widescreen-only "101 Dalmatians" is in the two-pack exclusively with the full screen P&S version of "102" instead of its widescreen counterpart, which is available seperately.
Now, while I won't watch "102" as much as the original, I still want it in its OAR, and I certianly don't want to support P&S with a non-OAR sale unless it's one of my alltime favorites, and even then I look for a widescreen counter-release. But I can't get 101 on DVD in any form outside of the two-pack.
Since 102 is available seperately in widescreen, I figured I would buy the two-pack and do an exchange for the correct ratio of 102. But I can't even do that, because someone who was given the 2-pack as a gift has informed me that it comes in a single double-alpha case. The space for disc 1 holds 101, and the space for disc 2 holds 102. I had assumed that it would come as a boxed set with the two seperate single-disc keepcases and that it would be very easy to ask the store employee to switch the 102 disc & case for the correct ratio. Alas, no.
This would normally tell me that Disney wants them bought seperately, but 101 is only in print in the 2-pack, so I can't buy them seperate.
So what do I do? Help!
(On a related note - how do they expect to move the 2-packs? Average Jane Soccer Mom and her little brats will see the 2.35:1 widescreen 101" as unacceptable, prefering to see it without the "black bars," while movie buffs like me and you will find the P&Sed "102" intolerable.)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just further proof that they need to hire more people who actually know what they are doing.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i wouldn't get your hopes up for the 101 DVD. the transfer is absolutely atrocious in every conceivable way. the only thing going for it is that it's in its' OAR. disneys' old non-enhanced discs are variable to say the least in terms of quality, but this one is way, way down at the bottom of the pile of its' neglected films on DVD. i would describe it as poor laserdisc quality, so it's only marginally better than VHS. don't say you haven't been warned. :)
if you're multi-region, try ...
http://www.dvd.nl/reviews.php?reviewid=388
review of disc from netherlands (and is enhanced). not sure of the translation. "De beeldkwaliteit is erg goed" - think this means it's ok. the review seems to be for 101, although 102 is on the cover as well. perhaps a dual release. can't see any mention of AR for 102. sorry, best i could come up with (but still, 101 is enhanced and screenshots look much, much better than region 1)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks