What's new

Disney Rarities menu lockup (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Both discs of the Disney Rarities lock up my player during the main menus. Player in question is a Pioneer DVL-919 which, while admitedly of ancient vintage, has never done anything like this before. It handles the menus on the Chronological Donald Vol. 2 without a hitch. Anyone else having a problem like this?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Oh no!

I hope this is not a universal issue because I had a similar problem watching the disc at my parent's house on a cheap budget player.

Could you please define what you mean by "lockup"?

My set would freeze for a good 5-10 seconds between alternating menu and film selections. It was really frustrating but I had assumed the error lied with my player. I would test it out on my Pio-Elite but my pj lamp is burned out and will be out of order until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Admittedly, whatever the hell I was screening this on at my mom's house was a complete pile of crap. But the fact that you say you experienced similar probloems, has me concerned...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how the Disney DVDs are manufactured, but my old DVD player used to always have problems with their discs. Once I got a new player, I didn't have any problems.

I haven't checked out the Rarities set yet (I have it) but will check on it.

TripC

Grip
There are various websites that say there are firmware updates for the DVL 909 and DVL-919. Something that might be investigated.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Mario: the "lock up" I experience isn't a delay or pause like you're describing, but total paralysis. All I can do is stop after it happens.

TripC: Thanks for the hint about firmware upgrades, I'll check that out.

After reporting the problem online to Disney DVD Tech Support, I got a generic email back suggesting that I: a) reset the player by unplugging the player for a few minutes - I had already tried that, to no avail - and b) clean the disc and check for surface damage. I didn't do that yet, but since both discs in the set have the same problem, I'm not hopeful. They give an 800 number if I'm still having problems.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
No problems on my 909- I played the ENTIRE thing through too, including the menus and music on them.

Supposedly these have Macrovision's new Ripguard technology on them.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I played the Rarities and Donald completely through on my old Panasonic A120. I didn't have any trouble... though I never seem to have any trouble with any of the titles most people complain about. :)

Oh thank you! At least I know I am not alone.

I have the same problem, but pretty much only on the first disc.

My older player, a Philips DVD-820*, refuses to play the disc at all. However, my primary player (will find model number later) has the same issue:

- WILL play Maltin's opening spiel
- Menu DOES present itself
- selection of pretty much anything will paralyse the player. In my case, the screen typically goes to black, goes through the motions of loading, but nothing happens. Literally nothing. It will remain black indefinitely unless I eject (stopping doesn't always work).

I have managed to get the disc to play on my PC, but was hoping somebody else had a solution. At the very least, now I know I am not alone.

*This player has previously had widely known issues with Beauty and the Beast, Atlantis and Fantasia.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I hope everyone who's experiencing this problem reports it to Disney DVD Technical Support; the page is here.

I already did so. You'll probably get the same generic email response I did, which suggests resetting your player (by unplugging it a few minutes) and checking the disc surfaces for damage, but more reports can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks