What's new

Disney Pricing (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Dumbo is also an SE. The $29.99 price point on Snow White is EXCELLENT considering the features and that it's a double disc. As far as where the disparity is coming from, it's not Dumbo being overpriced (as that's Disney's standard for one-discs) but Snow White being WELL priced. You'll likely find Dumbo at every retailer for $19.99 or less.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, after a rocky beginning, Disney's pricing at retail has become quite reasonable indeed. Snow White was practically a giveaway at the first-week prices, especially when you add in $5 rebate for people doing an upgrade and a free DVD to boot. Best Buy usually has all the Disney titles at 19.99 to 22.99.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That Snow White DVD is a steal when you consider the laserdisc set that was out before was priced at $99!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Compared with the CDN$23 I payed for the dual disk Shrek, it is not justified in my opinion.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Actually figure these out...
Just Visiting - $32.99 MSRP
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - $29.99 MSRP
A Bug's Life: Collector's Edition - $49.99 MSRP
Tarzan: Collector's Edition - $39.99 MSRP
Bridget Jones' Diary - $29.99 MSRP
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That Snow White DVD is a steal when you consider the laserdisc set that was out before was priced at $99!
Attention all current and previous owners of laserdisc players: While this argument has merit, it is a "water-under-the-bridge" situation.
Now, please...I don't mean to offend anyone. Just hear me out for a second. I'm sure some other folks will agree with what I'm saying.
Since I've never been a laserdisc owner, I've never shelled out that much for a movie on an optical disc platform. And I don't, of course, intend to start now.
When Transformers: The Movie first came out on VHS at the Rental-Only price of $80-ish bucks, I shelled out for it at the time, being a huge fan of The Transformers. That was the only time I spent that much money for one film.
These days I don't expect to pay more than $20 for a DVD of the same item (T:TM). $25 for ANY film is getting pricey. $28 is too damn high. $30 or more is outrageous. $40?...it better be Spartacus - Criterion 2-disc Restored Edition or it's ilk to BEGIN being considered!
Yeah, I get "outraged" pretty darn quick!
wink.gif
But then, my average DVD cost is currently $14.01 per disc! I try to keep it cheap.
It's good to know that we've come a long way since the days of $99 for a movie like Snow white, among others. But don't you think it's time to relegate that thinking as a comparison to the "nostalgic ol' days of yore".
It reminds me of a time as a kid I spent over at my grandparents house one weekend. It was early in the morning and I was the first up. I went to the living room and turned on the TV. As I used the remote to flip through channels between two cartoons, my grandma came up behind me and asked if I was enjoying myself. I guess I told her "yeah" or something. She observed "You know, when I was your age we didn't have television. We had a radio, and we only turned it on after dinner. When I woke up in the morning on a weekend, I had a doll I could play with - quietly - until my parents woke up and we all sat down for breakfast."
I distinctly remember my reply to her: "Wow. I'm glad all that's changed by the time I got to be that old."
Kinda fits here, doesn't it? :) I mean, it's nice to know that things have improved compared to years ago, but when we compare a $17.99 best-found-price for a 2-DVD & slightly-better-looking Snow White to a $19.99 best-found-price for the 1-disc Dumbo, it doesn't matter what the laserdisc for either one cost back in 1994, does it?
Again, I don't mean to offend. Or start a debate. Please consider it "food for thought", for use at the time that anyone is considering posting such a laserdisc-to-dvd price comparison. Thank you for listening to this input!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
quote: These days I don't expect to pay more than $20 for a DVD of the same item (T:TM). $25 for ANY film is getting pricey. $28 is too damn high. $30 or more is outrageous. $40?...it better be Spartacus - Criterion 2-disc Restored Edition or it's ilk to BEGIN being considered![/quote]$99 for Snow White? Un, no thanks. It'd have to be an orignal, unedited Welles cut of The Magnificent Ambersons for that price! :) I can't believe people paid that - no wonder they never caught on to the mass public.
[Edited last by Patrick Larkin on October 28, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
It makes me wonder how much the average cost of DVD can be expected to drop as it gets more popular.
Consider CDs history for a moment.
When they first came out in 1983, some were priced at $25, and a good number at $21. (These are standard ROCK/POP variety CDs, not your classical items that often were more expensive).
Consumers were assured that as the format was embraced, the price would come down dramatically.
Yes, they sure have. CDs now range from $17 to $13. This may seem like a huge drop (lol) over eighteen years, but we quickly forget one important detail. Once CDs became commonplace, they were far more economical to make than vinyl records ever were. Did the consumer see the savings? No way. Did we get something more reliable than vinyl? Yep.
Fact is, they'll charge what they can get for it, and most of us feel it's worth it. If you compare the prices of DVDs in stores across the U.S. and Canada, you'll often see the same price, despite the exchange rate. Canadians often get the better deal in this case. Why? Because $25-$30 just seems like a reasonable price for a DVD to the majority of the public, whether they're Canadian or American.
So, we can probably expect a drop of MAYBE 30% in pricing on DVDs sometime in the next decade, but maybe not. For now at least, the market is driven by those who can afford it and will pay that much.
What we can be thankful for is low-balling vendors like Wal-Mart and the like driving the prices down, it's unfortunate that the same entities threaten the endoctrination of widescreen presentation.
Nuff said.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks