Disney Pricing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I just noticed that Dumbo and Snow White have the same MSRP of $29.99. How can this be justified?

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Dumbo is also an SE. The $29.99 price point on Snow White is EXCELLENT considering the features and that it's a double disc. As far as where the disparity is coming from, it's not Dumbo being overpriced (as that's Disney's standard for one-discs) but Snow White being WELL priced. You'll likely find Dumbo at every retailer for $19.99 or less.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, after a rocky beginning, Disney's pricing at retail has become quite reasonable indeed. Snow White was practically a giveaway at the first-week prices, especially when you add in $5 rebate for people doing an upgrade and a free DVD to boot. Best Buy usually has all the Disney titles at 19.99 to 22.99.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

5. Patrick Larkin

Maybe this pricing is why I can't find Dumbo for rent at Blockbuster, Hollywood or 48 Hours Video!

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That Snow White DVD is a steal when you consider the laserdisc set that was out before was priced at $99!

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Compared with the CDN$23 I payed for the dual disk Shrek, it is not justified in my opinion.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Actually figure these out...
    Just Visiting - $32.99 MSRP
    Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - $29.99 MSRP
    A Bug's Life: Collector's Edition - $49.99 MSRP
    Tarzan: Collector's Edition - $39.99 MSRP
    Bridget Jones' Diary - $29.99 MSRP
    ------------------

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

10. Patrick Larkin

quote: These days I don't expect to pay more than $20 for a DVD of the same item (T:TM). $25 for ANY film is getting pricey. $28 is too damn high. $30 or more is outrageous. $40?...it better be Spartacus - Criterion 2-disc Restored Edition or it's ilk to BEGIN being considered![/quote]$99 for Snow White? Un, no thanks. It'd have to be an orignal, unedited Welles cut of The Magnificent Ambersons for that price! [​IMG] I can't believe people paid that - no wonder they never caught on to the mass public.
    [Edited last by Patrick Larkin on October 28, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

11. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

It makes me wonder how much the average cost of DVD can be expected to drop as it gets more popular.
    Consider CDs history for a moment.
    When they first came out in 1983, some were priced at $25, and a good number at $21. (These are standard ROCK/POP variety CDs, not your classical items that often were more expensive).
    Consumers were assured that as the format was embraced, the price would come down dramatically.
    Yes, they sure have. CDs now range from $17 to $13. This may seem like a huge drop (lol) over eighteen years, but we quickly forget one important detail. Once CDs became commonplace, they were far more economical to make than vinyl records ever were. Did the consumer see the savings? No way. Did we get something more reliable than vinyl? Yep.
    Fact is, they'll charge what they can get for it, and most of us feel it's worth it. If you compare the prices of DVDs in stores across the U.S. and Canada, you'll often see the same price, despite the exchange rate. Canadians often get the better deal in this case. Why? Because $25-$30 just seems like a reasonable price for a DVD to the majority of the public, whether they're Canadian or American.
    So, we can probably expect a drop of MAYBE 30% in pricing on DVDs sometime in the next decade, but maybe not. For now at least, the market is driven by those who can afford it and will pay that much.
    What we can be thankful for is low-balling vendors like Wal-Mart and the like driving the prices down, it's unfortunate that the same entities threaten the endoctrination of widescreen presentation.
    Nuff said.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net