Disney Platinum Schedule?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hi guys,

Did a search and though there are hundreds of Disney Platinum threads I am sure there was one with a link to a site with the official schedule but I cannot find it!

Can anyone point me to that thread or that site? Want to know what I need to get on LD if I want to see it in the next year or two.

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Last time we checked, it looked something like this (but the order can change...it already did when they switched Lion King and Aladdin around):
    • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001)
      Beauty and the Beast (2002)
      The Lion King (2003)
      Aladdin (2004)
      The Little Mermaid (2005)
      Bambi (2006)
      Cinderella (2007)
      Lady and the Tramp (2008)
      101 Dalmatians (2009)
      The Jungle Book (2010)

4. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

We're getting The Little Mermiaid BEFORE Cinderella and Bambi?? You've got to be kidding.

John

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I'm definitely looking forward to the Platinum Edition version of Beauty and the Beast. The only other Disney animated feature of the 1990's that matches the quality of this movie is The Lion King. [​IMG]
    Hopefully, it'll be a THX-certified high-quality transfer like they did with Atlantis: The Lost Empire. [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

7. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Actually there was never dates attached to any of the releases. It was just assumed that those not released as Limited Editions would be out first.
    From everything that I have seen the list is more like this:
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001)
    Beauty and the Beast (2002)
    The Lion King (2003)
    Aladdin (2004)
    Bambi (2005)
    Cinderella (2006)
    The Jungle Book (2007) (40 year anniversary)
    Lady and the Tramp (2008)
    The Little Mermaid (2009) (20 year anniversary)
    101 Dalmatians (2010)
    But like David said this is all up in air, changes will happen.
    -Chad

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Everything through 2005 is firmly "tentatively scheduled". [​IMG]
    After that the order is still changing, I suppose. But then we're talking about several years away.

9. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

My problem, and I'm sure others share it, is one release a year sucks! My son is 8, he's a prime Disney target audience member, yet when Jungle Book is released he'll be 15-16, hardly a Disney cartoon age. I luckily have Jungle Book and Mermaid as LE DVDs. I appreciate the work that went into Snow White, and if that's the reason for one release a year, well I may not like it but at least its understandable, however, I suspect $$$ is at the bottom.

Todd

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

It is annoying that Disney is choosing, aside from SW&7D's, to put their most recent stuff out as platinum titles first. Their recent releases are good but they are nowhere near the quality of animation that the old titles were. Not one of them holds a candle to "BAMBI" in terms of character animation or story. It pains me that I am going to have to wait until 2005-2006 to get "BAMBI" on disc while an inferior movie like "THE LION KING" gets an earlier release. By that time HD-DVD will be making it's early appearance and the whole game will be starting over.

11. David Lambert

Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't consider The Lion King to be inferior to Bambi. I'm quite happy that B&tB, TLK, and Aladdin will all hit in front of Bambi. I'm also happy that Bambi ought to be up soon after, though.

I just hope that it, and Cinderella, end up being before a reissue of Little Mermaid. A lot of us already have TLM on DVD, and would prefer the other two to be up first.

I hope it will end up that Chad is more correct than I am...

12. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree about getting the Lion King before Bambi, I much prefer it (again this is only my opinion...) but the reason for it, is that there hasn't been any version of the Lion King avalible (except the Spanish language) for many year (at least since I cared about collecting videos) and it's combination of fun tunes and engaging characters with a good story and great voices really is something that I want in my DVD collection. I don't mind Bambi, and can easily see that it's gonna be awsome if done to the same caliber as Snow White... but for my money, I'll take TLK and be very happy.

It was pulled from distribution in 1997, and I'd love to get it on something other than VCD (it's legit, but still). While Bambi seems to be availible on Amazon right now...

Jim

13. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

It would be nice if Di$ney moved up thier time frame to three a year. that way we can get them all on dvd B4 we start re-buying them in HD-DVD.

14. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    And no Pinocchio?! It's as classic as you're gonna get!

15. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Pinocchio certainly deserves better DVD treatment than it has received. Even the VHS had a featurette that wasn't on the Gold Collection/Limited Issue DVD. But, fortunately, that disc has gone out of print, which means we'll probably see a new edition in some time. While it won't be a "Platinum Edition", Disney could still put together a nice "Special Edition" disc with the missing extras, a new commentary, etc. As it stands, my favorite of the Early Age of Disney's animation has gotten short shrift compared to Fantasia and Snow White. The Platinum desgination is based on sales, and Pinocchio probably just missed the list of Top 10 Selling Disney movies on video.
    With regards to the order, I'd have to agree with those who are more anxious to get The Lion King and Aladdin on DVD. Of course, I'm also in agreement with a plan that doesn't limit Platinum releases to just 1 a year. But at least we know that they'll have plenty of time to not screw up these releases. Really looking forward to the next few Platinum releases, but of course, we must wait.

16. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Could I just have the Tin version of Aladdin? Please?

17. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

What is funny though is how nice a treatment Pinocchio got on LD. So go figure with Disney. They are a bit hard to figure out because as much as they seem fan unfriendly they can at other times seem very good to the collector market.

When they do DVD or LD right, they do it very right.

Stuff like the Snow White and Disney Tins collections show just how good they can be with DVD.

18. Robert Cook

Robert Cook Stunt Coordinator

Ray Chuang wrote:

19. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

I can respect the fact that Disney wants these on a rotating moratorium basis, but like most everyone, I wish they would speed up the process just a little. They could even incorporate the two...

Release 1 title for 4 months, and when it goes on moratorium, have the next one waiting for the Tuesday after the moratorium starts for the preceding item. That way, each title will have its own event release, each one can then be put on moratorium, and with 3 releases a year, customers can them in a somewhat timely fashion and that leaves just enough room to keep the excitement going for the "must have" editions.

Also, Disney will win on another front, as with this 10 year cycle, by the time that they release all 10, HD-DVD will be out, and once it is, all subsequent releases will have to be released in that format, hence only 1 purchase per title. If they quicken the pace somewhat, they can release them all just before HD-DVD is expected to make a dent in the comsumer market, and then they can start again with their cycle (cutting down to maybe 2 a year at that point). That way, more consumers would then make 2 purchases, once in the normal DVD, and then again in the HD-DVD. (It would also help them with an influx of cash to offset lost revenues elewhere in this uncertain economy...)

This would be a win-win situation for everyone involved (Disney, retailers, consumers, etc...). I don't understand why they don't follow that path...

JMO...

Bill

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor