What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

BrianDBoyle

Auditioning
For what it's worth, this message has spread to other message boards. For instance, the IGN DVD message boards are up in arms (but politely, and respectfully) over this issue. Unfortunately, the IGN message boards are paid subscriber only, or else I'd be happy to provide you with a link.
Rest assured that HTF is not the only board carrying the flag! :D

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just spoke with Disney rep Barb and, after telling her that I had quite a few Disney DVDs in my home collection, informed her that I will not purchase Disney DVDs released only in pan and scan. She took down my name and email and encouraged me to contact disneyinfo@, and said they were starting to get more people with the same complain and concern that I had.

I'm sorely disappointed about the Muppet films decision...

(Added about 15 minutes later)

This is the email I just sent to disneyinfo@

"I am a long time Disney DVD consumer. I have several Disney DVDs in my home collection, including most of your 2-disc special edition sets. It has come to my attention that decisions have been made to release some Disney-owned titles in reformatted condition, AKA pan and scan. I must tell you, I will not buy any film on DVD that is not in its original theatrical ratio. That not only goes for Disney products, but other studios' products as well.

I believe that any call for films in any format other than original aspect ratio is more a matter of a lack of education on what the filmmaker's intention was or is. And considering the fact that practically all films in theaters ( including your own!) at in a widescreen format, and that all televisions in the future will be in a 16:9 ratio, I think it's pretty short-sighted to sell what is essentially edited versions of your films on DVD. I have supported the DVD format precisely because it allows films to be seen as they were intitally (and intentionally) produced.

Don't lose even ONE customer or sale over this, Disney. My hard earned-dollars are just as valid as the dollars of those who think they want pan and scan.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Stephen M. Orr"

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
And the world will know,

and the world will learn,

and the world will wonder how we made the tables turn,

So they gave their word,

but it ain't worth beans,

so they're gonna find out just what "Stop the Presses" really means!

And our ranks will grow-

-Hey wait a minute, is this thing on? Sorry!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, this message has spread to other message boards. For instance, the IGN DVD message boards are up in arms (but politely, and respectfully) over this issue. Unfortunately, the IGN message boards are paid subscriber only, or else I'd be happy to provide you with a link.
Brian, great to hear!!! Can you post a link to this thread in that private forum so those viewers can read our comments over here too? Let's get some solidarity with our OAR family around the net!
In the same spirit, can someone who has access to the alt.video.dvd newsgroup make sure that this info gets posted with a link to this thread too? I don't have access to newsgroups any longer where I work so I appeal to one of you :)
My personal wish is that even though it's already been slated for P/S only...I'm hoping we can *change Disney's mind* about Muppet Treasure Island. What a shame for all of us if that title comes out 4x3 only :frowning:
I'm sure we're helping to effect a change in Disney policy over the long-haul, in any case. So keep it up!
-dave

Rolando

Screenwriter
Called, spoke to "Cammy" not sure the spelling. She was very polite, took down my info as well as name and address. She suggested I e-mail their marketing dept. as well.
[email protected]
hope this helps.
DON'T STOP NOW GUYS!!!

Teresa

Grip
I called yesterday morning and explained why I wouldn't buy a pan and scan dvd, but that I buy virtually all OAR Disney releases. It was fast, easy, and the csr was very nice. A couple of hours later she left a message on my answering machine asking me to also email them at [email protected] to let them know what I want. They definitely appear to be listening, so let's keep it up!

Just sent my e-mail:

Subject: Disappointed with Disney DVD release plans

I have noticed that many of your upcoming DVDs (Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Snow Dogs, etc.) are being released in Pan & Scan format only. I will never, EVER purchase a movie that is not released in the aspect ratio as presented in the theater. Cropping these films is the equivalent to cutting the sides off of a painting - it is destroying the artistic vision of the director, director of photography, and all of those responsible for the creation of the movie. I presently own over 300 DVDs (including several Disney DVDs) and purchase 10-20 per month. The one quality that all of these DVDs possess is that the film is presented in it's original aspect ratio, otherwise I will NOT purchase it, regardless of how much I enjoy the film. Please, please, please don't do this to your films. I hope that you will treat them with the same appreciation and respect that many of your (normally non-vocal) customers do. Thank you for reading my complaint.

Sincerely,

John Kovach

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Here's my e-mail:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to express my concern over Disney's recent announcement that several future DVD releases, including "Snow Dogs" and "Max Keeble's Big Move" will be released only in modified full-screen versions. I am staunch believer that movies should be presented in their original aspect ratio no matter what format they are on or what audience they target, and I will refuse to purchase any movie that is not presented in its orignal aspect ratio. I realize that a large portion of your customer base prefers the fullscreen format over the widescreen format because of the misguided perception that they are losing a part of the picture due to "black bars." I think that a short tutorial explaining the benefits of the widescreen format would be immensely helpful in alievating this growing concern. I thank you for taking the time to consider my comments and those of my fellow OAR supporters, and hope that you will make a decision on this matter that will be benficial to the entire movie-viewing community.

Sincerely,

Andrew Schaefer

EDIT: Shit, I said, "I am staunch believer."

Yeah, they're gonna take my comments REAL seriously:b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree that education is the answer. I can envision a cartoon showing Donald Duck, Goofy and Mickey Mouse watching a widescreen DVD and complaining about the "black bars". Then along comes Ludwig Von Drake to explain everything to them by using examples from actual Disney films. I even took a few moments and wrote some sample dialog.
SteveK, great idea for Disney's version of it! Did you write them and SUGGEST this to them?

Back shortly with my finished e-mail to Disney on this!

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
They replied to my email...

"Jose,

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. Your comments

will be passed along to our Marketing Department for their future

consideration."

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Called & E-mailed Disney. CSR was polite & friendly. Stated my cause. She also gave me the e-mail to use.
To Jeff Graebner:
Points well taken. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I thought about what you posted BEFORE I called Disney, and it made things alot better to deal with. When I made the comments about a possible boycott of Disney last night, there was a little bit of anger in there. I realized after reading your comments to my post, that a boycott would indeed be counterproductive to our cause.
Again, thanks for the words of wisdom.
Joe

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Being in Australia it's not feasible to call, but I've fired off an email.

It may be useful for international members to hide the fact that they are outside the USA, otherwise Disney may disregard our emails as being outside R1 (and therefore not important)

CK

Martin G

Second Unit
Called in to disney and sent an email. While I was at it I also requested that Song Of The South be released on dvd as well.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately for me, during the first six months I owned a DVD player (I bought it September 1999 if that interests you), I was uneducated about OAR, and stupidly ended up with six Disney titles which we will have to replace when you finally re-release Special Editions of these (they better be OAR!):Aristocats, 101 Dalmatians (1961), Jungle Book (1967), Fox and the Hound, Goofy Movie, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, Robin Hood, and Sword in the Stone.
David, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood and Fox and the Hound are all supposedly OAR. I know the 1.33:1 ratio is odd, but apparently they were created in that aspect ratio and (possibly) matted down in theaters.

Again, I can't say that for fact, since I didn't catch them in theaters (except the re-release of 101 Dalmatians, but that was a while ago too), but is what I have heard.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Odds are, if you Region 1'ers are going to experience new releases in dreaded pan and scan, other regions are going to as well.

If there is anyone from Region 4 (Australian) here, ring their toll-free number 1800-064-640 and explain the same!!!

We already got the Lion King 2 in 1.33:1!

Ben

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It may be useful for international members to hide the fact that they are outside the USA, otherwise Disney may disregard our emails as being outside R1
That's right. I sent an email without saying I'm in the UK and received the standard reply saying comments will be passed to marketing. In the UK Lady & the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty are only available in pan & scan. So it's already happening here. I've complained about these titles by email to Disney in the UK and have had no response at all.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I tried calling their 800 number, but I got "You have dialed a number that cannot be reached from your calling area." Was the volume of calls so great that they shut the line down? I did send an e-mail (quoted below), however, and I'll place another call tomorrow.

"I have heard disturbing rumors that Disney will be releasing several of their DVDs in Pan and Scan, specifically Muppet Treasure Island, Muppet Christmas Carol, and Snow Dogs.

For the past three years, Disney has released a plethora of superb DVDs in their original aspect ratios. My family and I have enthusiastically purchased these DVDs, and continue to enjoy them immensely. If future DVDs are released in Pan and Scan, however, my family and I will not purchase them. We only watch DVDs that are in their original aspect ratio, because we do not like to see the sides chopped off of our favorite films. I encourage Disney to release all DVDs in their original aspect ratio and that they be made anamorphic (where applicable). Thank you.

Sincerely,

Justin Doring"

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood and Fox and the Hound are all supposedly OAR. I know the 1.33:1 ratio is odd, but apparently they were created in that aspect ratio and (possibly) matted down in theaters.
Willie Wonka and A Fish Called Wanda were created in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio and matted down in theaters. We fought to view Wonka in widescreen!
The correct way to view ALL of those movies is the way we saw them in theaters. As I said to Disney, "Pan-and-Scan is not OAR, just like "Open Matte" is not OAR."
Here's my old standby on this issue (everyone says, "Groan...NOT *AGAIN* !!" :) ):
AFCW-SideBySide-OARvsMAR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks