What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
I just spoke with Louise at Disney (I wish I had been more eloquent, but I think I got my point across). She was very nice, and she also gave me the email address that has been referenced earlier in this thread. I mentioned "Muppet Treasure Island" and expressed my concerns about that title. When I asked her to read my response back to me, she hadn't typed it in yet, but she said that she'd be typing something in about me wanted the Muppet film in widescreen. I added to that and said I wanted ALL DVD's in widescreen if that's how they were released in the theatre. I also mentioned that I liked the movies that I saw in the theatre and that I wanted to re-create that experience as much as possible at home and that widescreen was the way to do this in most cases. I took several opportunities to mention to her that I felt Disney was doing a good job in most areas, but that I would not be purchasing any film that was not in its original aspect ratio.

Sorry for the long-windedness. Keep it up, everyone!

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
This is a copy of what I posted in the "other" thread dealing with this subject, at the behest of DaViD himeself.
"To those that care,
I just took the plunge and had a nice chat with Regina at the Disney Consumer number listed above and told her that while Disney has some of the most sought after product on the market, I will not be spending a dime of my $100.00 per month on Disney Product unless they are all released in their orginal aspect ratio. I also said that "I WANT my Black Bars!" (she REALLY understood that remark). She asked a few questions about where I had heard about this and I told her about the HTF (and mentioned that there are some 10,000 members on this forum alone) and The DVD File.
Do yourselves a favor, don't just complain...pick up the phone and call to let your (and our) feelings be known!"
Also, just to update everyone, when I got home from work today, the nice lady I spoke with on the phone, Regina, had called and suggested we all e-mail Disney at [email protected] (I think, the message was nearly inaudible. Please feel free to correct the link if you know it, but post it too so we'll all know it!) as well so do what you think is best. I would say a phone call AND an e-mail. Like I said, I told her that I'd have to find somewhere else to spend my money if her studio keeps releasing the "Modified to fit your screen" releases!
Attention Disney...WE WANT OUR BLACK BARS!:)
*Yet ANOTHER Update*
This is a copy of the e-mail I just sent them:
"Dear Sir or Madam,
It has come to my attention that you plan on releasing what you call “family oriented films” or something to that effect in a ratio other than the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio (In other words, “this film has been modified to fit your TV Screen). In my opinion, that is a horrible mistake.
Your studio has some of the most sought after titles in the world and collectors scramble to buy a film from the Disney Vault. Add to that, your studio puts out some of the finest Collector’s Edition DVD in the business (the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves comes immediately to mindJ). Yet you now choose to bow to the masses instead of leading the way, taking a stand and educating people to the glories of Widescreen and Original Aspect Ratio. I have read that your research tells you that people prefer to fill their screens and HATE the “Black Bars”, but what will happen when HDTV and Widescreen/16:9 sets become the norm rather than the exception? I would be willing to be that you’ll receive ten times the calls from people complaining about the “Gray Bars”.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I implore you to lead the way and educate the masses. Why not add a short clip to the beginning of your DVDs explaining the difference between Pan&Scan and Widescreen. I’m sure you have MANY titles in your vaults that could be very effective with such an explanation. I would also invite you to read the comments on one of the BEST Home Theater Site on the Internet, The Home Theater Forum (www.hometheaterforum.com) and hear what your fans are saying about your decision.
Please reconsider this decision and give collectors of fabulous films what they deserve!"
I've also corrected the e-mail link to what DaViD had posted earlier!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I once called Disney's tech line to find out why Fantasia got all grainy during the Pastoral Symphony segment.

Not only did the rep say my DVD player was causing the zooms, the person openly admitted that the other censored DVD's were censored because of "family values."

Well, my family's values don't include censorship, nor does it include presentations not what is intended.

It's about time that you make your DVD's appeal to all audiences instead of just one group which could care less about presentation.

Disney: Do you realize that your very un-movie buff friendly antics have prevented me from purchasing over 10 discs released by you?

I will not buy pan & scan, I will not rent pan & scan, I will not watch pan & scan. I can spend my time better by watching OAR DVD's from Universal, WB, Fox, Paramount, Image, and Columbia while you put out DVD's that are less than optimal quality.

Come on! As one of the few studios that does anamorphic 1.66:1, why can't these DVD's at least be 1.66:1 in their matting?

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I read your email to Disney and I think it is exactly what I would like to say to them also. I will of course put it in my own words but I don't think I could do it any better. great job.:emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, Ron or Parker. Do either of you know any of the reps from Disney you can contact for a response?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Thanks David. I posted this phone number last week on Widescreen Advocate, but I don't think many people read our site. Our hits are low. Bill said that he was going to link to us, but he never did. So far we aren't really known about outside the HTF.

By the way, I'll be sure to add yout name to the Advocates.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Back here, David Scarpa said:
David, what type of set did you get, send pictures
This was in regard to my mention of a purchase of a new Widescreen TV.
David Scarpa (and anyone else interested), I have full details here. Including how I paid $2299.50 for this TV that lists for $3499.99 (and you probably can, too!). :)
Pictures are there, too. I intend to include the shot of my 4-year-old watching a widescreen movie with my letter to Disney when I send the e-mail tomorrow.
David Boulet, thanks again for being so adamant about us calling the number, and getting this thing rolling. You're a hero!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Its interesting. . when I called this morning (I must have been one of the first few) I was not given the email address. I came home tonight and on my answering machine was a message from a Disney Rep thanking me for calling and then gave me the email address also.
Nice of them to at least call me back and recommend alternate channels as well!
Geoffrey_A, that reverb you heard was probably the agent being monitored. It can also happen when there is a glitch in the voice T1, but most often its because someone else was listening in. :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here's a thought...I plan on calling Disney in morning. When I do I will stat that I will only by DVD's in there OAR, not P/S. I will give her/him the explanation why and so on.

My thinking is this. Why not take it a step further and do this. After lodging your complaint stat that if Disney continues to release titles in P/S only, when they can be released in there OAR, this will greatly effect my decision to buy any & all future and current Disney releases.....In simple terms....BOYCOTT!!!!. Sort of the same thing we were discussing during Wonka fiasco. No OAR, no sale period.

Mention that besides not buying Snow Dogs & Muppets, hint that you would consider not buying say...Monsters & Beauty & The Beast just because of there policy towards non-OAR releases.

If anyone else has any further ideas....My mind is always open to suggestion.

Peace--Joe

P.S.--As Patrick Henry once said..."Give me Widescreen or give me death!!!!"

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
One odd thing, I could hear a very distracting echo/reverb of my voice over the phone, very distracting
Not all calls are monitered by a supervisor, but when a supervisor does monitor a call, thats when you know they are listening on the other line.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I just sent the following email.

I am one of many of your customers who is upset with your company's recent decision to only make Full-frame/Pan-and-Scan versions of several of your upcoming DVD releases available for sale or rent. Example include SNOW DOGS, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND, and MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL.

I currently own 458 DVD titles, and purchase 10-20 per month. A life-long movie lover and collector, I used to own a large VHS collection, but moved on, purchasing widescreen VHS (when available) and Laserdisc titles. The DVD format excited me when it rolled out in 1997, as it offered better-than-laserdisc picture and sound quality, original aspect ratio (widescreen for most films after 1953) at a reasonable price. Knowing I would eventually purchase a 16 x 9 / widescreen HDTV (which I did January 2002), I have resisted buying ANY title from ANY studio that did not respect the film-maker's intent and release the film in the Original Aspect Ratio on DVD. I will continue to do so. Knowing that theater screens are rectangular, and my new HDTV is rectangular, why would I be interested in purchasing one of your new film releases on DVD in a modified version--cropped to fit a SQUARE TV? Now, please understand, if the film was released in the theaters in a 1.33:1 ratio, or the program was made-for-TV, than I expect it to be released in a square format. The bottom line is I want to see the program as it was originally broadcast or projected. No modifying, no cropping, no re-formatting for home viewing.

Since I realize you are a business, that your interest is to make money, let me say it simply:

No O.A.R. = No Sale!

I'm sure that many of your "black-bar haters", if properly educated, would come around to accepting the widescreen format. A short explanation at the beginning of the DVD title (after those dreaded FBI warnings) on the artistic benefits of widescreen would certainly help educate customers who don't understand the geometric reasons for the black areas on a square screen. Plus, your company could position yourself as looking out for the customers' long-term interests, by mentioning that their current TV may not be rectangular, but their next one (a 16x9 HDTV) certainly will be, and as such, their current DVD purchase will not be obsolete. I doubt that a significant portion of your customer base will flat-out refuse to purchase a particular film title on DVD if only the widescreen is made available. If you must, both pan-and-scan & widescreen versions COULD be made available. However, there are many DVD buyers who will absolutely refuse to purchase a title if it is not available in it's original aspect ratio. I am one of those customers. My money spends everywhere, and I will purchase from studios who make available product that accurately represents the film-maker's intent.

In closing, I offer a quote from Roger Ebert, a film critic I respect and tend to agree with:

"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

Thank you for your time. I hope to be able to continue purchasing your DVD products in the future.

Sincerely,

Steven Good

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for this topic, DAVID. Sometimes, it is true that "one" person can start something that can make a difference. I honestly wish that all companies would simply release Widescreen only or both (on one disc..not separate). Because when they release 2 versions, I know I am going to have to hunt down the WS version of the lessor known titles, and a J6P may mistakingly buy a WS version then complain to Wal-Mart (this makes stores only want to carry the PS version because people don't read before they buy).

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
"6. And when Snow Dogs comes out in 4x3 only...go buy it. Then return it to the store (after opening it) saying that "you didn't realize it was only P/S and you only purchase OAR DVDs" and you'd like a credit towards another DVD title. Disney will be informed of the reason for your return. Their marketing department will hear you. "

Although I totally support this cause and will be emailing after posting this, any of you trying the above method are only incurring expense for the retailer and eventually yourself. Studios don't take back open product. The studio never knows why they get stuff back when they do - it gets processed as a sku and not a reason. The open stuff goes to that retailers "Claims" system, where they sell it wholesale, throw it away, etc - each company handles it differently. That added expense gets turned right back onto you. As a store manager in a video/music store chain, sometime I wish we had a part of the forum that educated everyone about what really happens for retailers behind the scenes and how what you do directly impacts your own experience, sometimes negatively. Almost every major store will not take back any open software except for same-title exchange and hasn't for over 5 years. Very recently the studios and record companies have REALLY cracked down on any open product. Everytime I accept a DVD back (rarely, btw) I have to sell it as Used (still a major loss)or throw it away and take a loss. The only way the above method would work is if you sent it directly to Disney, per their guarantee statement. However, I can't see the sense in sending something to Disney saying that we couldn't read a package that clearly stated Pan and Scan, yet we are somehow more advanced to prefer widescreen? Kinda conflicts our image, there.

Otherwise, your campaign and fervor, David, are absolutely impressive. I've forwarded this thread on to my corporate contacts. Believe me when I say that my company is interested. Let's hope other companies are, too!!

Viva La Resista'nce!!!

Matt

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
(sigh) :frowning:
Disney :thumbsdown:
I sent off an e-mail today and will probably call tomorrow.
I also wanted to say that I recently gave my first widescreen education presentation to some relatives with the help of the Die Hard 'Why Widescreen?' segment ... they all completely understood it and were "CONVERTED". hee hee
Andy

Sarah S

Second Unit
I called them earlier today & will be telling all my friends/family/co-workers to call as well as e-mail Disney about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks