What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I called and had the representative log my complaint.

I think we would get better results if we called with a prepared statement and asked that it be passed on verbatim to marketing.

I'm just curious, can WE really, be sure Anita and other "could care less what we have to complain about" customer service reps are typing in the correct complaint.
The calls are monitored, and the people monitoring can usually get what was entered into the computer during the call. I don't think they will type in a false complaint and risk being fired.

Chris M

Second Unit
I called, the girl I talked to had no information about the presentation for Muppet Treasure Island for me, even though it's about 2 months to it's release. But she still logged my complaint about buying movies in their Original Ratio (mostly widescreen). And I even talked to the supervisor who verified they didn't have info on the ratio of MTI. Sigh.

Anyway, my part is done for the day... I feel content.

Chris.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I think we would get better results if we called with a prepared statement and asked that it be passed on verbatim to marketing.
Actually, I think that would make us look like a bunch of nuts in a cult! ;)
Seriously, the people calling in to complain about the black bars didn't/don't have a prepared statement.
Sometimes, it's good to just be personable and tell them that you as an individual will not settle for P&S material.
One of my favorite movies, "Cheetah", a family film with a limited audience, is being released Pan & Scan and I highly doubt that will be changed. :frowning:
Fortunately, for those titles with a big audience (Snow Dogs is the 2nd-highest grossing film of the year, through one quarter)...you should be able to get them to do a widescreen release too.
Keep calling, guys, this is the best way to make yourselves heard!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I have conclusive information that Muppets Treasure Island will be 1.33:1 P/S only :frowning:
If any of you want to add a specific request that they reconsider delaying this title to remaster for 16x9 WS it would be super. I'm sure our calls right now will have effect on the features of yet-to-be-mastered titles, but it's sad that we'll probably get a few P/S only titles that have already entered the production pipe-line.
Who knows...if enough of us called...or bought the P/S Muppet T.I. and then returned it with complaints that it's "defective" for lack of 16x9 WS, Disney might pull a Warner and re-release it.
Anyhow, keep up the good work guys! You're awsome!!! ;)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Just called, spoke to Robert and he logged me in as saying that I won't be purchasing Snow Dogs or Muppets Treasure Island unless they are released as OAR/Letterbox 16x9.

Hope this helps...

Eric.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
"Debbie" told me that Snow Dogs was released theatrically in 1:33:1, hence the DVD release being only full frame. I told her that in any case, I would not be purchasing any future DVDs that were not in their true OAR, which she understood and took note of, telling me that it would be passed on to the marketing team. Overall, I would say it was a successful call, though be prepared to have specific releases in mind to mention, and if they are not already released, they will ask you about a press release. I for one will feel really stupid for bothering this poor lady at an obviously sucky job if Snow Dogs truly was released theatrically 1:33:1, but I'm glad I made the point in my offical comment "No OAR=No Sale". I hate to say this, but we are all going to look even more stupid in the eyes of the studios than J6P if we start demanding widescreen releases of films that were 1:33:1 to begin with. I called about Snow Dogs only because it sets a dangerous precedent, as I have never seen the film and never intend to (Cuba Gooding Jr. needs shot...talk about wasting an Oscar..."Chill Factor" anyone?). IF these claims of Snow Dogs being 1:33:1 are true, I think it's time we all took a deep breath and actually became informed about something

before jumping all over it. And "DaVid" how exactly do you know all this info....anybody can pretend they have "inside info...can't tell you any more!" and be up to their eyebrows in....well, you get the picture. I will not be making another call until I can say confidently that I know all the facts about a release, and if this "Debbie" is right, I suggest you all do the same. Wait for a press release or something other than just Peter Bracke's say so (no offense meant toward Pete or anybody at dvdfile, just making a point).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I made the call
I was very extensive and descriptive in my call.
Check this out.
I spoke with Regina
A new phone rep, and a little older(from her voice)
She recorded my name, phone number and address.
Now, her and I had a very long conversation.
She was learning the system, so we had time to talk.
I informed her that we DVD lovers from the Home Theater Forum, are very furious, but in a polite way. As to the way Disney is handiling their catalog and new titles, by releasing them in P&S only.
I told her that we DVD enthusists, MUST and only will purchase OAR(16x9)
I siad that we are mad about every title that is not 16x9, but at this moment in time we are focusing are attention on Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treausre Island
Then she also mentioned Snow Dogs, to the recent complaints. And that she has already experienced alot of phone calls today alone.
I told her, that there will be alot more calls coming in today, and probally the rest of the week, from the Home Theater Forum.
She appreciated me telling her about the notice of phone calls she and other phone reps are likely to get soon.
She asked me where I got the Disney's number, I told her that it's posted on hometheaterforum.com along wih our experience comments.
I said that we are all posting our experiences from the phone call complaints we made.
She also expressed her thanks to my politness and feedback we were all doing on our website.
She read back my statement.
I for one will NEVER buy Disney DVD's that are P&S, and will only buy DVD's that are presented in OAR(16x9). Furthermore, I buy about 20-30 DVD's a month, and Disney is one of the largest producers of DVD content.
So you can see where alot of my money probally goes.
So if your DVD's are not in OAR, you are loosing alot of money to not only me, but alot of other DVD enthusists like myself

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I just spoke with Anita, as well. I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but she sounded like she was thinking, "Oh, no, not another one of those. They must all be friends."

She quickly said "OK, I'll pass that along" to my request and we parted. I really wonder if this will go anywhere but I would have felt worse doing nothing about the issue.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
After saying that I was distressed about upcoming titles being P&S only, Sarah told me that they did not know of this particular release (Snow Dogs) being P&S only and that they were still in the process of evaluating the OAR situation. She asked me the names of the websites that I found out this information from, I gave her DVDfile.com and Hometheaterforum.com and she said they have been deluged with calls all morning! :) She said she would log in my complaint and I thanked her for taking my call.
Proud to do my part!
P.S. I asked about a SE of Who Framed Roger Rabbit but she had no knowledge of it. But I did tell her we'd prefer it UNCUT. Just trying to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I for one will feel really stupid for bothering this poor lady at an obviously sucky job if Snow Dogs truly was released theatrically 1:33:1
Nick,
Thanks for calling! Debbie is simply mistaken, Snow dogs was projected at 1.85:1 widescreen in every theater in the U.S. (possibly 1.66:1 WS in Europe, which is the *intended* aspect ratio for many animated films...if you look many animated Disney DVDs are actually 16x9 WS 1.66:1 with slight side-boxing you can see if you have no overscan).
In any case, you were right. Debbie just wasn't well informed. Thanks for making the call and getting another call for the good side of the Force. Besides, even if you heard mis-information somewhere about a particular title and called to complain when in fact everything was ok...how can it be a bad thing to *still* have Disney log your comment that you want a film presented in widescreen on DVD if it *was* widescreen in the theater (OAR)? Still a win-win in either case.
Besides, it's only a sucky job because of all the people calling to complain about black bars (puke!). Just imagine how exciting their job would be if they could listen to movie-philes calling asking for 16x9 WS OAR 3-disc SEs of our Disney classics day in and day out...Ahhhhhh.
Regarding my info...the problem is that I can't say anything more than I have without getting in trouble. I hope that answers the question in an indirect yet assuring way :)
Call on! On with the charge! Fly my pretties Fly Fly!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Before I place my call, can people throw some titles into this thread they have already released that were not OAR? Thanks :)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
David, the sad thing was she pulled up this info on a computer...they have a database that is telling them Snow Dogs played theatrically in 1:33:1!

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ok..I spoke with Anita as well...she likes being famous!!!! She IS getting a clue..knew what I meant and is taking the marketing people to task over this issue.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I got the same thing from Debbie about Snow Dogs being 1.33 : 1. I explained it was probably filmed that way but matted down to 1:85 : 1. Either way, both versions should be avaliable. If 1.33 : 1 is truly the way the director wanted it on DVD, then so be it, but.....

I explained to her there is a concern about studios dropping widescreen altogether. I also explained that they should "educate" people on all of their releases for awhile about the differences between P&S and widescreen.

She was very, very nice.

I also advised her of this forum and told her that Disney should participate in a chat here!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I just called, spoke to a younger sounding guy. I registered my complaint/suggestion telling them I will only buy movies that are in OAR and 16x9. I said that while I understand that Disney's market research shows families like full-frame, they should be concerned about the needs of the rest of us as well. Ready for this... This guy agreed with me! He said, "I like widescreen better anyway." He was polite and logged my complaint. Hopefully this will work.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I made my call. The rep was nice as she listened to me rant about OAR and after I was finished she said:
"So are you for or against widescreen?" :rolleyes
So I reiterated that I would under no circumstances buy pan and scan DVD's. She thanked me and said she would forward my comments to the marketing department.
Keep calling guys!

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I tried Calling. The office was closed because of a Departmental Staff Meeting.

Hmmmmm.

I'll keep trying. I e-mailed them this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks