1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

2. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

I have never been in A Wal-Mart. Can anyone who has tell me if they sell WS Tvs? If so, ... let Wal-Mart and the companies catering to Wal-Mart WS TV section know just how they stand with this decision. If the bottom line is money - Wal-Mart will not be able to justify selling WS TVs when they cater to FS/P&S titles.

3. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

The Wal-Mart I go to doesn't sell WS TV's, nor does any other I have been too. If they do sell them, I have yet to see it.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I am positive that no Wal-Mart around sells Widescreen TVs. That is part of J6P's reluctance to accept them...if they can't get it at Wallyworld, then it's too expensive and/or not worth having.
    They may be absolutely right on the "too expensive" part. [​IMG]
    However, I can state unequivically that all my coworkers - many of them J6P-ish types - who I've told are all quite jealous of my new 16x9 TV purchase, and seem quite knowledgable on the subject (moreso than average, but not *entirely* up-to-speed if you get my drift). Since my place of work is a highly technological business, I guess it's no surprise, though. [​IMG] BUT: Many of them would be "Wal-Mart" buyers despite their knowledge of widescreen TVs and other stores as options.
    The subject of how to convince Wal-Mart to sell Widescreen TV's has been on my mind since this whole thing began. I don't think they will be convinced to sell them in the current situation. We must convince the TV makers to introduce their smaller, lower-end models that are already available overseas (Europe, Japan) into the USA, perhaps as Wal-Mart "exclusives".
    Huh...imagine that. Wal-Mart actually PROMOTING the WS TV's along with DVDs in their OAR... [​IMG]
    I will incorporate this suggestion into the letter to Panasonic I am composing. Apologies that it has been slow; I have other things going on at home, too. By end-of-week, I promise, it will be ready to go!

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

That would be just the dream come true [​IMG]
    We could (and should) also emplore these companies to take a pro-active stance to educate consumers about widescreen and what it's for but that's not crucial to our basic need to simply tell Walmart that there are consumers out there who shop at their stores who want widescreen. We want Walmat to know that they have consumers who want black bars...we just have to tell them.
    They get letters and complains every day about the "black bars". Why do you think they've told the studios they want P/S only? Do you think they just make this up or the president/ceo of Walmart has a consipiracy against WS? No...they are just RESPONDING to consumer feedback.
    So let's give them some consumer feedback of our own. So far our side of the story has been completely silent while thousands of J6Ps have been complaining (same story as with Disney). Time for us to speak up and tip the balance back to our side.
    Nothing to be discouraged about. In fact, I'm all for the next-phase of the campaign...Walmart, BestBuy, and Blockbuster.
    Anyone out there like to spear-head the effort with some good contact info? We can start a new thread and forum members can post the letters they've written. This is more effective than an on-line petition, but I'll sign that too.
    -dave
    p.s. those of you who are now "psyched" for action to help the HT world, make sure you check out Chris' work-in-progress to develop a proposal to send to the DVD-forum for the development of HD-DVD. He's looking for some contribution of ideas. You just might help the world get the HD-DVD format it SHOULD get rather than the one that it WOULD get.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...3&goto=newpost

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

So here's the latest list of Pan&Scan-only offenders. Sounds like next week those of you who would have purchased the original White Fang should give up Disney a call and tell them you're not pleased. Was the laserdisc Pan&Scan?

White Fang (4/23)

Snow Dogs (5/14)

Cheetah (5/28)

Muppet Treasure Island (6/4)

Max Keeble's Big Move (6/18)

Already released:

Air Bud

George of the Jungle

Air Bud: Golden Receiver

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm glad that many video stores will only be carrying a few copies of Max Keeble, if any at all. They're mad at Disney for putting it on PPV first.

9. Will_A._Russell

Will_A._Russell Auditioning

I, too, am concerned about the huge output of catalog titles that Disney will be releasing on DVD throughout the second half of 2002. I am concerned that some of these titles will end up being pan-and-scan only.
    I have created a petition called "Disney Titles in Widescreen, Please." Please take a moment to look at this petition and sign it if you are interested. To get to the petition : http://www.petitiononline.com/8dtm/petition.html.
    We can really make a difference
    Will A. Russell

10. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

Signed it (#3), along with calling "The Mouse" at 1-800-72-DISNEY and sending an e-mail to [email protected] to voice my opinion.

11. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Speaking of Pan and Scan... your choice of font size cuts off the right side of your post on my screen.
    Now that's ironic. [​IMG]

12. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Hmmmmm......a petition. Radical idea! Why didn't I think of it?

13. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

What an interesting way to introduce yourself to the forum. Couldn't you have posted this to this thread??? Exact same thread title, without a couple spaces and exclamation marks.

14. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

That link doesn't take me directly to the petition...and I can't find it otherwise...

15. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Again, what is so damn hard about putting BOTH versions on the same disc??? That was supposed to be one of the main features of DVD when the format was announced- CHOICE between widescreen AND pan and scan- for EVERY movie (unless the director says otherwise, of course), and NO separate releases. The only way to please everyone is give them a choice!

17. Mark Hanson

Mark Hanson Agent

Along with the cry for OAR the studio's marketing people need to know even more than we like it and expect it.

1. Being informed about a release like with Willy Wonka, we did not pick it up as an impulse at Walmart. We knew the OAR was wrong and when the correct one was released most purchased it from a reliable internet provider. Most of us do the same with all dual releases. We do NOT trust Walmart, Target, etc, to have what we expect. Widescreen only releases we may get there, otherwise we have our diverse sources. That is one reason they do not get the big vendor complaints. ie BUY at WALMART AND COMPLAIN THAT IT IS P&S. Shocked the heck out of them!! Or at least ask where the other one is and state no OAR, NO SALE to the vendor.

2. Point out the the marketing geeks the number of DVD's you buy a year, especially if it is large. See that they get the point it takes 10-30 or more bar complainers to meet your volume. So one complaint of yours has the buying power of many more from people who complain about Wide screen. Right know it appears that marketing is looking at the volume of complaints without looking at the purchasing patterns of the complainers.

3. The reason family films get the pick is same as why most of them are not given the best in transfer etc. Transfer here lets use it. Also family pick frequently has the most likely to complain as viewers. Point out my kids DO NOT mind widescreen it is the movie they like, if you have them. It is my mother and wife who complain. My daughter is the future generation with many purchases a year, my mother who complained gets two a year and does not listen when her grandaughter says the movie is great and she likes it this way.

In simple show them beyond what is thought of as a small art house audience there is something that could kick them in the pocket book just as hard as the complaints they get about the black bars and the best solution comes down to how to do both as was initially a DVD promise.

18. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'll be calling soon for 2 reasons:

1. This disturbing tendency towards P&S

2, The fact that the CD soundtrack of "Pete's Dragon" was just a direct reissue of the OOP LP, not a complete song and score disc, which I strongly would have preferred.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Disney could encode a single 16x9 1.85 transfer that is then "panned and scanned on the fly" by the player.

I think only Criterion's Last Temptation of Christ uses this wonderful DVD feature that could be god-send (pun intended). It would give you dual aspect ratios with the same space and cost of mastering just one. Plus, it gaurantees that the enthusiast gets his/her 16x9 WS version since you can't us the P/S feature on a 4x3 lbxed transfer.

I've mentioned this to disney in my emails. Feel free to mention it too!

-dave