What's new

Disney - phone drive is 99.9% in favor of Pan and Scan!!! (1 Viewer)

Nick Pudar

Agent
I guess I must have sounded much more pessimistic than I really am regarding the WS TV manufacturers having influence on the studios and the release of WS content. I believe that there WILL be some positive effect, but that the greater lasting leverage in is educating the consumer -- since the purchasers of WS DVDs will be listened to by the studios.
Having said that, since there is a positive effect, I will gladly join the letter writing campaign to the manufacturer CEOs to educate them as well. The point they need to make to the studios is that for every WS Television sold, XXX number of DVDs are bought by that customer per year. (Anyone have any idea what that number might be???) And, given the availability of WS content, and the growing awareness of the superiority of WS (due to our continued efforts), more WS DVDs means more WS TVs being sold -- a nice mutually reinforcing virtuous cycle (as depicted for you systems thinkers here ).
Nick

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with not telling them where you heard it from. That seems somewhat a little like censorship - which basically that is what this is all about. Disney is censoring content from their DVDs, whether it be 'politically correct' content or visual content. Even though it is their product and can do what they see fit, we also have the option to not purchase or accept it.

They seem to feel that OAR backers should NOT be considered part of the 'Family' viewing audience. Well I beg to differ. I have gotten all my family members involved in LD (back when) and now also DVDs.

It's funny. I remember when Disney was doing LD and had a visual on Pete's Dragon, showing how the OAR kept Helen Reddy and Ollie (I believe that is what the dragon's name was) in frame. Another scene was with Helen Reddy and Mickey Rooney and the dragon. In the latter scene, Rooney was completely cut out - just his voice was heard.

I also caught a peculiar scene in StepMom that was on last week. Never watched the film myself, I caught the end of the movie. I noticed that in a somewhat touching scene at the end, Susan Sarandon asks Julia Roberts to join in the family Xmas picture. So she sets up the camera and joins Susan on the couch. Just as the picture was being taken, Julia looks down to her side and smiles. This of course was a Fullframe version being shown. Of course, what you do not see is that Susan has wrapped her arm around Julia in a final moment of acceptance as the new woman, mother and wife. Without that one little scene, most people would not understand why Julia is smiling. Only OAR gives you that.

Back to the topic. When I called Disney they asked me where I heard about this. I told them that a sales clerk at my local BLOCKBUSTER told me what was going on. SO I told her - BLOCKBUSTER! This actually did happen - I overheard a conversation going on. I already knew about it - but since she wanted a name - I gave her one.

I also had my family call. Some told that their brother told them - others told Disney that they heard it at their local Best Buy.

Let's get these retailers working for us for a change!

Keep up the fight!

PatrickL

Deceased Member
It's not even just this forum...to them, the people on all DVD/HT website forums aren't the audience of the affected DVDs.
If Disney wants to limit the sales of these dvds to only the most uneducated video consumers and to uninformed impulse buyers at the supermarket, they are certainly movin' in the right direction. :thumbsdown:
Plus, echoing what Nick said, what a slap in the face to all their customers who own 16:9 sets.
If Disney feels they must placate the taste-free, post-vhs crowd with MAR, so be it. But to exclude virtually everyone who knows better is bad business.
I watched the disc of "Mulan" a couple of weeks ago with nieces and nephews. It's just one of dozens of Disney dvds that I, a dvd/ht enthusiast, have bought for them, as opposed to the ones that their parents rent for them. Multiply that by three sets of nieces and nephews, and then add in my own more-than-occassional interest in Disney discs, and it adds up to a lot of buying dollars that Disney is saying goodbye to because my complaint originated from a dvd/ht forum.
I'm sure many of the wee ones in my extended family would have liked to have "Max Keeble's Big Move." No sweat, Disney. I'll just get them Nickelodeon movies like "Jimmy Neutron" instead.
Called, wrote, emailed. What's next?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Larry, the name of the dragon is Elliot, not Ollie. :)
When I talked to Disney I mentioned several sites when she asked me "where on the internet did you hear about this?"; I put HTF far down the list because I recognized that this "lumping together" was going to occur.
But Larry's got the right idea: say you didn't hear it on the internet at all. You heard it in electronic stores, at work, from a friend, at a wedding, at the local pub, at a little league soccer game :D . Give them the fear that this is spreading off the internet, and that Joe Six Pack is catching on to the differences.
Nick: I liked the "snowball effect" thing. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
We want to look like American Best-Buy shoppers and Block-buster renters who also care about WS and OAR said:
EXACTLY. After all...we *are* friends...aren't we? ;)
BTW, 2 more things we can do for those of us who are super-charged:
1. Write to other HT magazines, editorials, and HT websites and ask them to print something urging HT advocates everywhere to email and call Disney to do what we're doing (I'm still shocked that even after sending 3 emails to Peter, DVDfile.com still says absolutely nothing urging DVD lovers to contact Disney!!!). The wider the word gets spread the more people who will call.
2. Write the managers and heads of Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Circuit City and tell them you're a customer excited about buying your new WS 16x9 TV (or saving for one) and that you care very much about having your DVDs preserve their proper shape by the use of the widescreen format.
I hope everyone realizes that in addition to the direct-calls Disney received from soccer moms complaining about black bars, that Disney, Columbia, Fox, and Warner all were told by these large retailers (Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Circuit City) that consumers don't like letterboxing and instead prefer P/S format. In fact, many of these retailers have gone so far as to tell the studios they don't even want to *carry* WS material at all...and would like only P/S formatted DVDs.
Take heed my friends, this is the other root of the problem. We need to let these retailers know, just like we're letting Disney know, how we feel. Any idea why we had to fight Warner for a WS Willy Wonka, why Fox is re-releasing many DVDs in P/S format and why Columbia is now releasing P/S only discs?
You got it. Write those retailers and let them know you're fed up.
Enough is enough. This is war.
Let's win.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I think we're already seeing hte effects of all these P&S releases. In the Sunday Adverts I'm seeing the caption in small print reading "Also available in Widescreen" So already WS is starting to sound like anything than the norm.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
It looks like my previous comment/suggestion that Disney should use some of their famous cartoon characters to explain the benefits of widescreen has led a few other people to start thinking of possible scripts for such a presentation. I have written one which I want to fine tune before I send it to Disney. Not that I think they would use any script I might prepare, but I want to ensure that it makes all of the points I want it to make (black bars don't hide anything; reduces camera movements; widescreen TV-ready, etc). Before I send my e-mail to Disney, I may also want to post it here to get your comments and suggestions. The only problem is that it may be somewhat lengthy. It's amazing how much typing is involved in a few minutes of dialogue!

Steve K.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they think the only people complaining about this are a bunch of internet geeks who've heard the advance announcements, I suggest contacting them again once the discs have hit the shelves. Right now they're only hearing from the people who've checked the specs for the forthcoming releases; they have yet to hear anything from the people who don't check the internet for such things but will find out when they go into the store to pick the discs up and find out then that they're pan and scan. When "Max Keeble" arrives in stores I'll check the package just to make sure it's pan and scan, and then give Disney a call and let them know they've just lost a sale.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Just called Disney on this important issue, and talked to Regina. I made it explicitly clear that I would NOT buy any DVD that wasn't released in it's OAR.

I told her that I heard about Snow Dogs, Muppet Treasure Island, and a Muppet Christmas Carol only being a 1.33 release. After looking up the titles in her computer, she told me that Snow Dogs is to be released in 1.33 only. "Well, that's one more DVD I won't buy from you."

When asked where I heard this I simply said a friend from work told me about it.

NO OAR = NO SALE.

Will start writing up the e-mail now.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> I am going to attempt to write 3 psuedo-screenplays for Disney:
Those are all great ideas.
Tell them you heard about this at WalMart, on the way home from picking up the kids at soccer practice. :)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Tell them you heard about this at WalMart, on the way home from picking up the kids at soccer practice. :)
And that your family likes to watch Disney flicks in the "downtime" between broadcasts of Nascar races and WWF. :)

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I just received a reply from Disney:

Jeff,

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns* with us.* Your comments will be passed along to our Marketing Department for their future consideration.

------------------------------------

Dear friends at Disney:

Please retain the Original Aspect Ratio (OAR) of Disney movies on dvd. Retaining the OAR maintains the integrity of the director's vision, that is by keeping the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, we see the entire picture, not just a pan and scan version of it. As a film lover and collector, I want the very best presentation of a motion picture and seeing the film in it's OAR is of the utmost importance to me. Again, thank you so much for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Jeff Koch

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeff and others.

Let me just say that "I've heard" that we've been making quite a point over at the Mouse. The execs are taking notice. Your committment to contact Disney HAS made a change and IS continuing to make a difference with every call/email. Things at Disney take time and move slowly so it may not be instantaneous results here (though I REALLY want a 16x9 Muppet Treasure Island out of this), but I'll be sure to pass on any "actual" results as soon as I know.

Now don't forget...step 2 is to get some friends and family to do the same. We can double or tripple our voice if we each get just one or two other people to call/email Disney with our "widescreen" plea!

go TEAM!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Is there any update as to the numbers of pro oar calls to disney vs the pro p&s calls. I bet it is no llonger 99.9% pro p&s though.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I made my call to Disney just now and spoke to a young dude named Robert. He never asked me where I heard any information but I did tell him that I've been a long-time Disney fan and have many classics on DVD & even LD. I informed him of what titles I would not be purchasing due to the evil that is P&S.
I e-mailed Disney over the weekend. In case anyone cares, here's what it said:
Dear Disney Marketing,
I'm writing (and will place a call to 1-800-72-DISNEY as well) to voice my displeasure of releasing your wonderful films in the butchered Pan & Scan (P&S for future reference) instead of the Original Aspect Ratio (OAR). I have not, nor will I ever purchase a P&S'd film on DVD. I'm a serious home theater enthusiast that has enjoyed and bought many of the awesome Disney films and Box Sets on Laser Disc. This trend is quite disturbing and I hope Disney will listen to its true fan base and release all movies in their OAR. I would also respectfully request that a short widescreen (OAR) trailer be made available to educate the uninformed masses about letterboxing, how movies are projected at the theater houses, why ALL directors want their movies shown in OAR, and that they are seeing the entire film and not less. If a release needs to have both P&S as well as OAR to make everyone happy, then so be it. Personally I'm against this practice but I'm willing to compromise.
I purchase 50-100 DVD's a year (and I still purchase Laser Discs as well). If Disney refuses to preserve the integrity of movies and continues to promote P&S DVD's, I can only vote the best way a consumer can: I will never ever ever purchase a non-OAR DVD from Disney. Accordingly, I will instruct family, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and especially other home theater buffs to do the same.
Let me close in saying that I truly love Disney films. They've always been a part of my life and I hope they can be a part of my children's lives as well. I want to buy Disney DVD's (please take my money!!!!). Please do the right thing and release all films in their OAR.
Respectfully,
Charles W. Bober
Anyway, I mentioned the OAR trailer before it was brought up here in the thread (ahead of my time I guess :D ). Mom, dad, & my uncle made the call and I alerted another friend of mine who's just now getting into HT about this battle. He took to OAR from day one so he's gearing up to help the cause. I had him sign Rain's petition as well. WOOHOOO!!!

MatS

Screenwriter
what is this Disney you speak of???
sounds like a Mickey Mouse operation to me ;)
ps. I hope no one feels content just stopping at Disney. If their phones are ringing out against OAR who's to say other studios aren't receiving the same type of one sided complaints. Don't become complacent the time is now to be proactive. Why create numerous different petitions to studios when you feel you have been wronged. Why do we not create one BIG master petition that says we will not buy/rent a release unless it is OAR and copy/send it to all studios, retailers, and rental outlets alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks