What's new

Disney "Pearl Harbour" Gripe (1 Viewer)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I noted with Tuesday's release of "Pearl Harbour" that Disney has Stretched the movie across 2 discs with 8 chapters on the second disc along with the features. IMHO that represents sloppy lazy work on the part of the studio in that this release is 183 minutes long with the movie easily able to fit on 1 disc particularly with dual layering available. Disc 2 could have easily been a features only disc! I sincerely hope that when the Director's cut is released that every effort will be made to ensure that the movie remains intact & exclusively on disc 1 with disc 2 being reserved for features??

David Prior

Insider
Ed:

I appreciate your desire to have the movie on one disc. Everyone involved wanted the movie on one disc. But after several compression tests and careful consideration, we decided that the picture quality suffered too greatly, particularly with a DTS track. The extras were not even a consideration. The difference in quality was so great that Michael Bay opted to add an intermission to the film. Bear in mind that many longer films in the past also had intermissions.

It's been our hope that the quality of the presentation would outweigh the inconvenience of switching discs, but in any event I assure you the decision was not made out of laziness.

Thanks for your interest,

David Prior

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks for the quick response on this. This was one of my concerns too about this title but it has been answered.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I appreciate your prompt reply in addressing my concern. I wonder however if it wouldn't have been more appropriate to release a seperate dts edition without features in order that the movie could be confined to 1 disc? This particular cut is 183 min long and if the information I've received from a friend is correct a standard dvd can hold up to 9 gigs of information. Surely 183 minutes does not constitute 9 gigs? It is my hope for those of us film and sound purists that Disney would consider releasing the forthcoming "Director's cut" of "Pearl Harbour" with a full bitrate dts track, confining the dd theatrical cut to disc 2 and perhaps considering a 3rd disc with supplemental features. Given what I have suggested would what I have suggested constituted a more sensible approach?

David Prior

Insider
Trust me Ed, every possible scenario was explored. Given the realities of the marketplace, the expense of the disc and the needs of the various different parties involved, the best possible outcome was secured.

Above all, however, the director of the film decided that including an intermission was in keeping with his vision. That's good enough for me.

Thanks for your interest,

David Prior

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Thank you David for making sure the DTS track wasn't dropped. I have no problem with splitting the movie to two discs (or three for the super long director's cut). Hell, it's still far, far better than in the days of laserdisc!

If only you had helped with DreamWork's Almost Famous Bootleg Edition DVD then maybe the superb DTS encoded track could have been saved too.

Dan

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Thank You Dave,
I, personally don't have a problem with the intermission at all. The break is in an appropriate spot in the film. And, adding an "intermission" adds something to a film which makes it feel like a more important film, Like the old Roadshow films of the past. :emoji_thumbsup:

TedD

Supporting Actor
I don't have a problem with the second disc, but I sure have a problem with the forced looong animated menu at the beginning of the second disc. The second disc should have gone directly to the movie, possibly with only a DTS selection menu.

Ted

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, that's even WORSE than when you have to switch discs in the middle of a laserdisc movie! What does the menu say, "PLAY REST OF MOVIE"? ;)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Today is Dec. 7, 2001, the 60th anniversary of this tragic event. Lets forget the story line of the movie, and remember the brave men and women who lost their lives in service to our country.
Guys, why can't we just be greatful that we got to see this increadable movie!!! I know that I pushed paused at least once during the first disc for a 'break', did you?
To all that have served to defend my ability to express my opinion, thanks

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Everyone involved wanted the movie on one disc. But after several compression tests and careful consideration, we decided that the picture quality suffered too greatly, particularly with a DTS track.
A frank and logical comment like that should ensure no further debate on this subject. Thanks David. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks