What's new

Disney live action classics (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
And a number of others : Darby O Gill , Great Locomotive Chase , In Search Of The Castaways , 20 000 Leagues Under The Sea, Shaggy Dog etc .

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm fond enough of That Darn Cat and The Ugly Dachshund where I'd also want to upgrade those as well. Especially the former, since it was pan & scan as I recall.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
For blu-ray
The Happiest Millionaire (roadshow cut)
The Shaggy Dog
The Parent Trap (Hayley Mills version)
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit
The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
The Monkey's Uncle
Summer Magic
The Ugly Dachshund
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Westward Ho the Wagons (in widescreen)
Make Mine Music (uncut and unedited)
Melody Time (uncut and unedited)
All of the classic era shorts - Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Silly Symphonies, etc. (uncut and unedited)
Zorro (I actually just finished going through the WDT DVD sets again)
So Dear to My Heart
Song of the South

For blu-ray or DVD (in other words, I'll take what I can get):
More of the original Mickey Mouse Club (I've always thought that themed sets of just the Mouseketeer segments would probably work best - a complete set of the full-length episodes would be unrealistic and repetitious)
More of the MMC serials (especially the Spin and Marty sequels)
All of Elfego Baca
All of the Swamp Fox
Texas John Slaughter
In general, more episodes/miniseries from Walt Disney Presents/Wonderful World of Color

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Speaking of Zorro, has it been colorized? I remember watching black and white episodes, but what I see on YouTube is mainly in color. Pretty convincing colorization if so!

EDIT: I just saw the 1992 copyright notice for it being colorized. Carry on! :lol:

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
So many wonderful titles mentioned in this thread; I would purchase most of them on either Blu or OAR DVD’s. I had never heard of Mosby’s Marauders but upon a bit of research would now add it to my list.
I can never understand why Disney appears to have so little respect to those of us who love the live actions classics ( even the neat classics!) and are prepared to part with good money to purchase them.
Maybe the new Disney streaming service will be nirvana to us loyal (and deprived) fans.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Speaking of Zorro, has it been colorized? I remember watching black and white episodes, but what I see on YouTube is mainly in color. Pretty convincing colorization if so!

Ron:

The episodes were colorized in 1992 and were televised that way on the Disney Channel in their Vault Disney programming block. The Disney Movie Club released both seasons in color as DMC Exclusives before the Walt Disney Treasures Seasons One and Two sets in black and white were released.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have posted this list so many times on multiple threads here on HTF that I've lost count. ;)

Along with the two Zorro compilation theatrical releases (The Sign of Zorro and Zorro the Avenger), I would love to see the following released:

The Tales of Texas John Slaughter (the complete series of 17 episodes; starring Tom Tryon)

• Texas John Slaughter 10/31/58
  • Ambush at Laredo 11/14/58
  • Killers from Kansas 1/09/59
  • Showdown at Sandoval 1/23/59
  • The Man from Bitter Creek 3/06/59
  • The Slaughter Trail 3/20/59
  • The Robber Stallion 12/04/59
  • Wild Horse Revenge 12/11/59
  • Range War at Tombstone 12/18/59
  • Desperado from Tombstone 2/12/60
  • Apache Friendship 2/19/60
  • Kentucky Gunslick 2/26/60
  • Geronimo’s Revenge 3/04/60
  • End of the Trail 1/29/61
  • A Holster Full of Law 2/05/61
  • A Trip to Tucson 4/16/61
  • Frank Clell’s in Town 4/23/61

Daniel Boone (the complete series of 4 episodes; starring Dewey Martin)

• The Warrior’s Path 12/04/60
  • And Chase the Buffalo 12/11/60
  • The Wilderness Road 3/12/61
  • The Promised Land 3/19/61

The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca (the complete series of 10 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Robert Loggia)

• The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca 10/03/58
  • Four Down and Five Lives to Go 10/17/58
  • Lawman or Gunman 11/28/58
  • Law and Order, Incorporated 12/12/58
  • Attorney-at-Law 2/06/59
  • The Griswold Murder 2/20/59
  • Move Along Mustangers 11/13/59
  • Mustang Man, Mustang Maid 11/20/59
  • Friendly Enemies at Law 3/18/60
  • Gus Tomlin is Dead 3/25/60

The Prince and the Pauper (the complete series of 3 episodes starring Sean Scully and Guy Williams that first aired in 1962)

• The Pauper King 3/11/62
  • The Merciful Law of the King 3/18/62
  • Long Live the Rightful King 3/25/62
  • The 93-minute theatrical release that was released in Europe in 1962

The Swamp Fox (the complete series of 8 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Leslie Nielsen)

• The Birth of the Swamp Fox 10/23/59
  • Brother Against Brother 10/30/59
  • Tory Vengeance 1/01/60
  • Day of Reckoning 1/08/60
  • Redcoat Strategy 1/15/60
  • A Case of Treason 1/22/60
  • A Woman’s Courage 1/08/61
  • Horses for Greene 1/15/61

The Saga of Andy Burnett (the complete series of 6 episodes; starring Jerome Courtland)

• Andy’s Initiation 10/02/57
  • Andy’s First Chore 10/09/57
  • Andy’s Love Affair 10/16/57
  • The Land of Enemies 2/26/58
  • White Man’s Medicine 3/05/58
  • The Big Council 3/12/58

The New Adventures of Davy Crockett (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Tim Dunigan)

• Davy Crockett: Rainbow in the Thunder 11/20/88
  • Davy Crockett: A Natural Man 12/18/88
  • Davy Crockett: Guardian Spirit 1/13/89
  • Davy Crockett: A Letter to Polly 6/11/89
  • Davy Crockett: Warrior’s Farewell 6/18/89

Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes; starring Roger Mobley)

• Part 1 1/24/65
  • Part 2 1/31/65
  • Part 3 2/07/65

The Further Adventures of Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes)

• A Case of Murder 9/26/65
  • The Big Swindle 10/03/65
  • The Daily Press vs. City Hall 10/10/65

Gallegher Goes West (the complete series of 4 episodes)

• Showdown with the Sundown Kid 10/23/66
  • Crusading Reporter 10/30/66
  • Tragedy on the Trail 1/29/67
  • Trial by Terror 2/05/67

The Mystery of Edward Sims (the complete series of 2 episodes)

• Part 1 3/31/68
  • Part 2 4/07/68

Willie and the Yank (the complete series of 3 episodes that first aired in January 1967)

• The Deserter 1/08/67
  • The Mosby Raiders 1/15/67
  • The Matchmaker 1/22/67
  • The 80-minute theatrical version titled Mosby’s Marauders that was released in Europe in May 1967

Zorro and Son (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.)

• Zorro and Son (Pilot) 4/06/83
  • Beauty and the Mask 4/13/83
  • A Fistful of Pesos 4/20/83
  • Wash Day 4/27/83
  • The Butcher of Barcelona 5/04/83

The Secret of Boyne Castle (the complete series of 3 episodes that first aired in 1969)

• Part 1 2/09/69
  • Part 2 2/16/69
  • Part 3 2/23/69
  • The theatrical film released overseas in 1969 under the title Guns in the Heather

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Don't forget the very amiable Kilroy series with Warren Berlinger , and the original Mickey Mouse Club. For that matter who among us wouldn't love to own box sets of the complete Disney anthology series?
Every one of the movies and shows mentioned by posters above would be eagerly welcome on Bluray by most of us.
Incidentally, Westward Ho The Wagons is badly in need of re-mastering

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron:

The episodes were colorized in 1992 and were televised that way on the Disney Channel in their Vault Disney programming block. The Disney Movie Club released both seasons in color as DMC Exclusives before the Walt Disney Treasures Seasons One and Two sets in black and white were released.
Yes, I caught that and edited my post! I saw it at the end of the episode where it said "colorized version copyright 1992."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

EDIT: I just saw the 1992 copyright notice for it being colorized. Carry on! :lol:

Ron:

I own copies of both seasons in colorized and original, glorious, BW. IMHO, the colorization is OK, but has issues. If you don't look at mouths, I do frequently, or pay attention to color loss/changes in "swish pans," cross fades, and fade to black sections, other sections that stick out like sore thumbs for me, you might be happy with it. I was thrilled they saw fit to release it in restored BW and joined the DMC to ensure I got copies (they went on sale there first and sold out quickly). They are my "go to" copies.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I own copies of both seasons in colorized and original, glorious, BW. IMHO, the colorization is OK, but has issues. If you don't look at mouths, I do frequently, or pay attention to color loss/changes in "swish pans," cross fades, and fade to black sections, other sections that stick out like sore thumbs for me, you might be happy with it. I was thrilled they saw fit to release it in restored BW and joined the DMC to ensure I got copies (they went on sale there first and sold out quickly). They are my "go to" copies.
I wondered how the colorization would hold up in better circumstances than YouTube. These looked to be perhaps VHS recordings, so there isn't a real crispness to it. I certainly found a series, though, that I would love to own. Other shows of that era such as The Lone Ranger just don't have the "charm" anymore; I still like them, but Zorro still seems fresh. I'm looking to start getting my nephew into classic TV (he's 2 and begs to watch The Incredible Hulk and was charmed by Hee Haw the other day), and I bet he'd love it.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

Howie,

I, too, own both the DMC Exclusives colorized seasons and the Walt Disney Treasures black and white seasons and I revisit this series all the time. It's comfort food for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Howie,

I, too, own both the DMC Exclusives colorized seasons and the Walt Disney Treasures black and white seasons and I revisit this series all the time. It's comfort food for me.
Absolutely! I introduced my grandson to it a couple of years ago. He really liked it! That was one of my "grail" shows. I'd watched it in the late 50s/early 60s as a kid (had to have been in syndication/reruns as I was 2 in 1957 when it premiered) and absolutely loved it! I caught it on occasion, rarely, through the years and watched it on one of the cable channels sometime in the 90s, probably on the Disney Channel but I don't recall for sure.

When I stumbled across the colorized versions browsing on Amazon one day, I did some research and found it was only available colorized so I purchased S2 in individual discs over a few months. I then found out they were DMC "exclusives" so joined DMC to purchase S1 only to find that both were available "free" with points from Disney Movie Rewards. So I signed up with that service, entered almost all of the codes I had and got enough to redeem them for S1. I liked the outer box on S1 so much that I saved up and used more points to "purchase" a new copy of S2 in the box. I ordered just before it was pulled. It's still on the shelf unopened.

I've been a DMC member off/on several times and joined, again, when I heard about Zorro coming to the "Treasures" line, remastered in BW and in collectible tins. I ordered both seasons as soon as they were available (used a B1G1 50% off w/free shipping code).

I've always liked how the stories are serialized.

If it ever receives a BR release it'll be a day-one purchase for me.

mark-edk

Second Unit
And I want some forgotten Disney tv movies; such as The Omega Connection and Splash 2.
I was doing some research on Disney tv movies and looked for this because your mention had piqued my interest, but this wasn't listed. Some more clicking and I learned it was actually a theatrical film 'The London Connection', and was 'bizarrely re-edited' (to quote one source) for airing on the Disney tv show (whatever it was called at that time). But I can't find any DVDs under the 'London Connection' title either, though I did spot an image of a VHS release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks